Calorie Deficit question

Options
So being new to this, usually everyday I break even with my calories/excercise or a little under/deficit so that should put me on the 1-2 lbs lost/week correct? I want to add P90X into my routine in the evenings and I'm thinking that will be a 400-600 calorie burn on average so that should leave me with a pretty big calorie deficit ie. more weight loss? But, is 400-600 calorie deficit too much? Will my body react to that by shutting down and leave me with less weight loss. Where should the balance be? I'm around 300 lbs so have a lot to lose.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Read the "guide to calorie deficit" link in my signature. I think it will help you tremendously.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I've found (and heard) that the more weight you have to lose the bigger of a deficit you can handle in the beginning. So, a 400-600 calorie deficit should be fine for a little while. However, if you find that you aren't losing weight with this number definitely try upping your calorie intake. It's really all about the individual and finding out what works for you.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Conventional advice is that you should eat back most to all of your exercise calories, because MFP already has a calorie deficit built in to your daily goal for you to lose weight. This is about 99% true once you get into the 20 pounds or less to lose range.

However, because your goal is so large, it's unlikely to harm your weight loss *at first*. You can get away with a larger deficit because your starting weight is so high. Just be aware that eventually you will probably have to a) reduce your weekly weight loss goal and b) eat back exercise calories. Your body and your scale will tell you when these changes need to be made. And you should aim to net at least 1500 calories, on average, for proper nutrition. Good luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    MFP already calculates a deficit for you, so if you've selected "lose 1lb/wk" MFP gives you a calorie goal that incorporates a 500 calorie deficit per day.

so you are correct in thinking that if you exercise with P90X it is likely you will be making your deficit too big. MFP is designed so that you eat the calories burned from exercise back.

Because you do have a significant amount to lose, I would say (and this is strictly opinion), you are probably best served by eating about 1/4 your exercise calories back for now. As you lose, the amount you burn will decrease and you should start eating more of your exercise calories back as you go (maybe switch to about 1/2 the exercise cals at around 250; 3/4 at 200- that sort of thing)
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    great feedback folks, thanks. I didnt realize that MFP already had a deficit built in. that makes me feel better!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    great feedback folks, thanks. I didnt realize that MFP already had a deficit built in. that makes me feel better!

Yep, you can meet your weight loss goal without doing any exercise based on how MFP is set up. You will be healthier when you get to your goal though, if you exercise. So - if you are hungry, or tired or irritable, don't be afraid to eat some of those exercise calories back - this is your body's way of telling you it needs more fuel!
  • chiken88
    Options
    You need to have about a 500 calorie deficit each day to lose 1 lb of fat. Have you already purchased P90X? Within the guide book will be a way to calculate how many calories you need to consume based on this workout plan. If you stay at your current calorie intake and are not seeing any changes in your weight or your inches (they are just as important) then you may need to actually up your calories...I know crazy, but to do a program like P90X you have to make sure you are feeding your body properly to perform well. Do you have a beachbody account yet? We can connect their as well. Let me know if you have any other questions. You can friend me here as well....chiken88
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You need to have about a 500 calorie deficit each day to lose 1 lb of fat. Have you already purchased P90X? Within the guide book will be a way to calculate how many calories you need to consume based on this workout plan. If you stay at your current calorie intake and are not seeing any changes in your weight or your inches (they are just as important) then you may need to actually up your calories...I know crazy, but to do a program like P90X you have to make sure you are feeding your body properly to perform well. Do you have a beachbody account yet? We can connect their as well. Let me know if you have any other questions. You can friend me here as well....chiken88
    Yeah, I've had P90X for about 2 years. Its been a great addition to my movie library ha! I have a BB account and use shakeology. might have to add more protien into my diet based on the bb guidelines. 500 cal seems like a lot!