How do you know when someone's hitting on you ?!?!?!

fortysixpounds
fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
I haven't flirted in years...I can't remember the last time I was hit on... that I know of at least haha but today I *think* I may have been hit on....twice.....I think?!?!

Ok so I havent really been out and about by myself in a long time because of an illness and Ive put on a lot of weight but now I've lost a bit and I think I was hit on....but only when I got home and sat down and was talking to my friend about my morning adventures by myself (very proud of myself for being able to go to apts alone adventuring ha) and the odd encounters I had he started laughing and told me I'd been hit on.....?! I'm not so sure it was odd but anyway so this is what happened:

I had a hospital apt. and I went on the bus :) got the wrong bus, got a bit lost, found the right bus got on the right bus and then he stopped round the corner form the hospital. So I asked the driver where the bus left from on the return journey (because Ive never gotten across this way before, I never go on my own and always in a car and theres a million different stops and routes) and he said just across the road and pointed. I said thanks I went to leave. He said where are you going, I said to the hospital, He said ah, are you a bit lost?! I l said em no, it's just around that corner, isn't it ? (because he made me doubt myself and id already gotten lost once...but Ive been a million times I do know where it is) And he got out and said, c'mon I'll walk with you I'm on my break (and I felt a bit patronized because I was trying to be independent today I wanted to do everything on my own) but I didnt want to be impolite and so he walked down with me in the direction and chit chatted all the way, then I saw the bridge (outside the H) and said oh I know where I am, but he pointed to a cafe we were beside and said 'come on, Id like to get you a coffee, its real early still ( I thought that was really odd and confused, and I felt a bit annoyed because I thought he was feeling sorry for me?! because I was lost going to a hospital and maybe he knew I was really ill (totaly paranoid but I have been told a million times that ppl can't tell by looking at me-but I still feel paranoid) so I thought maybe he thought I looked sick and looked lost and needed coffee because I was all sleepy looking and pitied me so i said thanks but I was late and crossed the street and he shouted after me 'c'mon its just here, just a minute, ah you'd like a coffee???' and I just smiled and shouted thanks but Im really late and went off. (peeved because I hate being treated like Im not able to look after myself, I am and it was my first real adventure in agges I was buzzing from being out and about and then he went and tried to get me to sit down and take a rest ?!?! the $%^&*() and put a dampner on my achievement by insinuating i needed help)

Then, on my way home I went to post a letter and as I was walking back this guy who lives on the same street, never met, just seen him walking past all the time from my living room. (Im not a nosey neighbour lol my tv is beside a bay window that faces the whole street, you see everyone walking past) anyway he crossed the street and stopped me and said 'Excuse me, are you baltic?' and I was confused and asked him to repeat he said it again (and by now I was really paranoid that maybe my face had swollen from my condition or something and he was commenting i looked different -whats baltic?') I said 'em, no, I don't think so, sorry what do you mean?' and he said ' oh you have that face, you can tell that face anywhere, its baltic looks, are you originally from one of the baltic countries?' and I said 'eh no' and he said 'where are you from" I said Im Irish and he started laughing! (I was so disturbed) He said, God, but your face and he started tracing the outline of his own face describing my face?!!? I kinda politely excused myself and scurried home to google baltic and check my face wasn't all swollen and puffy (it does that)

Anyway I got home and when Id told my housemate about teh apt and then about the weird driver and the odd neighbour he started laughing and told me they we're hitting on me.....It actually never once occured to me!!!

I'm still not sure I don't quite believe that they were I mean.....haha nah

Does anybody else unable to tell the difference??? Or is there some guys that can please explain to us how exactly we're supposed to know? Am I really stupid for not being able to tell or is my friend the one being presumptuous?

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    You are very pretty from what I can see, I'm surprised it hasn't happened to you more often!

I recently had a man, a stranger to me but a friend of a friend, come up behind me and put his hands on my shoulders. I thought he was very presumptuous but then I thought wow, he wanted to touch me! Score! :laugh:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    i think your friend was right, you were hit on. twice. and that driver - poor guy! - he was TRYING to get the digits and some time.

but no, you are not the only one who doesn't notice. i will notice when one of my friends or my mom is being hit on. but i never notice when it's me.

but just remember that you were having a good day, you were strong and confident (even with the early-on bus confusion) and doing for yourself. few things are sexier than someone who has a good deal of self confidence. so you were probably throwing signals you didn't realize and they were responding like bees to honey.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    wow that was a long read lol. but um yea if a stranger says he wants to buy you coffee... he's trying to get to know you, i really hate the term "hitting on" because it can imply impure motives when he may really honestly just want to get to know you,or he could just want to get in your pants lol... anyhow if a guy seems extra friendly he's probably hitting on you, unless he's like me and just super friendly in that case i'd be blatantly obvious if i were hitting on you
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Sounds like you were being hit on. The first may have been just being helpful but the coffee offer seems to confirm it.
    But I'm a complete idiot when it comes to that too and can never tell (and assume it's not the case).
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    You are very pretty from what I can see, I'm surprised it hasn't happened to you more often!

I recently had a man, a stranger to me but a friend of a friend, come up behind me and put his hands on my shoulders. I thought he was very presumptuous but then I thought wow, he wanted to touch me! Score! :laugh:

Thanks but my profile pic is before I got sick, I can't even look at pics now, it's not just the weight, my face is swollen from my condition. I'm currently on the mend but I haven't gone back to how I was (I don't think) ppl who know me would know my face looks swollen but I guess a random person like the people today...my friend has been trying to explain this to me....they wouldn't necessarily know that, they could just think thats my face.I just get totally paranoid but then I havent been out on my own in a really long time. I find the whole thing perplexing haha.

But yea I agree, go you :) score! and in my case score i guess too if that is the case cos then i must be lookin a bit better these days ....I feel a lot better now knowing what Baltic is....god I feel stupid haha
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    You need to go find that poor driver!! Was he cute? ;-)