No energy to run while eating at maintenance?

Options
evensonmariah
evensonmariah Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2019 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I’ve been a runner for about 6 years, about 20 miles per week. I recently went from a retail environment to a desk job and noticed an increased in body fat percentage (not weight) so I decided to start tracking my calories and eat at maintenance. I factor in my exercise calories as well. With exercise, my maintenance calories for a 25 year old 5’4” 130 pounds female are around 1900. I feel exhausted on my runs. I lift weights and account for about 100 calories on days I lift. Any way I can fix this?

Replies

• evensonmariah
    evensonmariah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Side note: 1900 calories is for a typical daily 3 mile run. I factor in about 90 calories per mile.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You may have a higher than normal TDEE...on 1900 are you actually maintaining?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It may be a question of what you eat and when (not enough carbs? Too much sugar and not enough quality carbs? Not enough calories before your runs?) or dehydration or lack of sleep. It could be low ferritin (iron stores) as that is very common among runners and really affects energy, or low thyroid, or even something like Lyme, West Nile, etc. If you are not losing weight but you have no energy, it is worth going to a doctor to get some tests done.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a runner for about 6 years, about 20 miles per week. I recently went from a retail environment to a desk job and noticed an increased in body fat percentage (not weight) so I decided to start tracking my calories and eat at maintenance. I factor in my exercise calories as well. With exercise, my maintenance calories for a 25 year old 5’4” 130 pounds female are around 1900. I feel exhausted on my runs. I lift weights and account for about 100 calories on days I lift. Any way I can fix this?

What macros are you using?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What has your weight been doing over this time? If it’s slowly going down, that would indicate that you’re eating a little below maintenance and need to bump up your calories a bit, which would give you more energy.

It could also be a macro problem. Many endurance athletes prefer a somewhat higher carb diet to provide quick fuel for their activities. A small carb-rich snack before a run can help. I like fresh or dried fruit for this.

If this is a very recent thing, you might be getting sick. Sorry to throw that out there, but my runs are always harder than they should be in the days before I have any other symptoms.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So you were already eating at maintenance with no weight change. Whether you were tracking or not.

But active job to sedentary.

But exercise stayed the same - or changes to that also?

What told you there was an increase in BF%?

Did you start tracking what you were already eating for maintenance, or did the mere act of tracking change what you eat?

Or this site or another told you what an estimated maintenance number is and you are eating to that number now?

Just a quick guess I'm betting you are eating less than before and feeling the effects in your run.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist, not a runner, but i think the prerun snack would help you to fuel it and not feel exhausted during run. Something that not going to bounce in your stomach and get it the way, but provide some extra energy. Half a protein bar, or some fruit, maybe a toast with peanut butter? For me, there are days when i can go hungry or long after I've had eaten with no problems, and there are days when i know better to eat before if i don't want to suffer the whole ride. So it depends. Try to switch up your routine a bit, maybe. And alsi, if it's just been two-three days, you might be getting sick and it has nothing to do with anything else.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I’m similar stats to yourself and train for half-iron distance triathlon. I’ve been losing a few lb to get back to race weight the last few months and for sure I notice that being underfuelled affects my performance, but that’s with an av 500cal daily deficit. Eating at maintenance I am fine for endurance, after advice from a friend studying sports science I increased my carb macro split and generally find this works well for me, she advised 50-65% cal from carbs.
    I also use a blood test service called Thriva to check every now and then that everything is hunky dory. You take your own blood sample at home, send it off, 2-3days later you get the results. Yes it costs money but is a whole heap less hassle than visiting the Dr! You can google for discount codes. It might be helpful for you to see if there’s another reason for how you’re feeling.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,787 Member
    Options
    when do you run? I am a morning runner and find it IMPOSSIBLE to run after sitting at a desk job all day. It's as though my legs are anchors. So maybe it has more to do with your change in general activity level than what or how much you are eating. Sometimes I think that lethargy promotes lethargy and activity leads to more activity. Sort of how all that housework will just sort of build up like a mountainous task. But once you get started on just a little of it sometimes you turn into a whirlwind of cleaning. Hope this makes sense. Us runners gotta keep each other on track. :)