running shoes

Options
I've seen the repeated advice to go to a store to get properly fitted for a pair of shoes.

That said, there are a god awful number of options to choose from and those options extend past being fitted. I've done some Googling and read various articles, some of which have their own calculators built in to help steer you towards a couple of likely candidates.

Bottom line - you're around 30 pounds overweight, just getting into running and are willing to go get fitted and spend whatever the right shoe costs...

Can anyone provide some guidelines or generalities so that I can at least have some confidence that what I'm told at the shop is accurate? As far as I can tell I have a 'normal' arch, and my strike is mid-foot. I can't figure out the pronation for the life of me, though I suspect I may land slightly to the outside of my foot.

Replies

• russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've worked in shops, and I tended to push the stock we'd had a lot of for a while, or that was going to be superseded soon, so asking for advice in store might yield the wrong answer! Ask around the runners you know about their preferences, THEN go to the shop forearmed with the info. Luck!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Mizuno.com has a pretty detailed quiz to properly put you in a shoe...it might help you determine what would be right.

I love mizunos and brooks and I'm far from a lightweight!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of New Balances because I used to play volleyball in them (in high school). They cost about $70 but was totally worth it - very comfortable and great support for running.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The advice that you get in the running store will outweigh any advice you receive on the internet. Remember, it only requires a computer to hand out advice on the internet. Any reputable running store will put their employees through training so that they can best help you find the shoe you need. So ignore all these keyboard jockeys (including me) and just go to a store.
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    if you're pronating--they should be able to tell you at the shop. all of the running stores in my area put you in a test pair of shoes, put you on a treadmill, and video tape you running so you can see where you strike, whether you pronate, etc. i pronate, and i need inserts--they should be able to tell you if you need those too. the running store i go to, has you try in 3-4 different kinds of shoes, and has you run outside in them. then, once you've narrowed it down, you run in both shoes (a different on on each foot) and make your decision. my shop will let you return your shoes if you don't like them--up to two weeks after you buy them, even if you've worn them. they want you to be happy and having a bad fitted shoe can lead to injury and no one wants that.

i wouldn't take advice from anyone on what type of shoe is best--everyone is different. a good pair of shoes will typically run you around $100-$120. it's worth it--you don't want to get injured. every time i think, "geez, running shoes are SO expensive" i immediately think "knee surgery is more!" i personally only run in aasics. i've tried brooks (hate them) and love the look of muzuno's (sp?) but the toe box is too narrow for me. i haven't tried on their wide version yet (they hadn't released them when i bought my last pair, but they look awesome and they are really light. i would try on a few and see what's best for you. good luck!
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you go get evaluated it will most likely narrow your shoe options down a lot. I use to get shin splints so I went to a shoe store and got evaluated and it has pretty much cured my shin splints. Almost never get them anymore as long as I wear those shoes. Not just any shoe stores do the evaluating. I would research the stores to go to online. I believe New Balance stores do it but not sure. I went to a local place where I live, it is not a big name athletic shoe store.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    When I was tested they had me walk barefoot on a treadmill so they could see exactly how my foot was hitting the ground.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    all of the running stores in my area put you in a test pair of shoes, put you on a treadmill, and video tape you running so you can see where you strike, whether you pronate, etc.

Ahhh, ok. I didn't realize that there was this much to 'getting fitted'. I was more worried it was along the lines of being asked some questions, possibly some measurements being taken, and then pushing inventory as mentioned above.

Thanks for all the replies!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    My advice....try on as many pairs that are designed for your proper fit and gait as you can.

Yes, you do need to get fitted but I agree once you are fitted and know your foot type and strike there are lots and lots of options to choose from within your category. With a normal arch and a mid-strike and fairly normal pronation you have lots and lots of options.

The first time I got fitted I went to one local running store and had the gait analysis done. They had me run on a treadmill with computers and monitors hooked up to it and video taped my feet. It was a good experience and they highly recommended 3 or 4 different pairs. I tried them out for a long time and they let me run outdoors. I bought the one I felt the most confident in after debating for awhile that day and trying them out. Then a couple weeks later I went to another running store and had them do the fitting (as if I had never had it done before). The results were the same and the advice similar, I bought a pair they recommended out of a line-up. So, when I began I took the advice of 2 recommended running shoe stores and bought a pair from each store and rotated the shoes. A little thorough yes and expensive to buy 2 pair of shoes at once (neither pair was over $100 though).

Now that I know what to look for and know what I am comfortable with I do my own shoe shopping and fitting, but that initial fitting by the shoe experts was great. I buy a new pair of running shoes every 3-4 months and rotate between 2 pairs all the time. I like the rotation approach and not wearing the same shoe every day for runs. I also like to try new things. I am not brand loyal at all anymore or even appearances don't bother me. I have run in some ugly but comfortable shoes. haha

I used to swear by asics. And I really like Saucony. But I have run in nike, reebok, new balance, mizuno, brooks etc etc over the years.

I now really like ultra light shoes and love my Saucony Kinvara 2's. Love how light they are and breathable but still provide quite a bit of cushion and support.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I am not in any way giving advice on running shoes, just letting you know what I found.

I recently bought the Reebok RealFlex and they are the most comfortable, lightweight shoes that I have found.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    Pretty good experience at the shop. Ended up in a pair of Saucony's.

Thanks again for all the info!
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The advice that you get in the running store will outweigh any advice you receive on the internet. Remember, it only requires a computer to hand out advice on the internet. Any reputable running store will put their employees through training so that they can best help you find the shoe you need. So ignore all these keyboard jockeys (including me) and just go to a store.

THIS!

I used to work in a running store and we were trained, not only by our managers/senior people, but the shoe reps themselves to know what to look for and what type of shoe was best for which foot. It's pretty serious stuff, we attended a bunch of clinics by different manufacturers and had that stuff down pat.

Glad you had a great experience! Happy running!