Problems with logging and maintaining calorie intake

Options
I love food and i want to lose weight so badly. But im having a diffcult time staying in my calorie intake. Does any have anytips for staying in calorie intake and dealing with hunger pains/cravings

Replies

• sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    An easy way to eat more is to exercise. You'll "earn" extra calories. Are you doing any exercise at the moment? If so, are you eating back the calories?
    I've just increased my daily calorie allowance to 1300 but I try to do some form of exercise on the days when those calories are just not enough.
  • meganreid163
    meganreid163 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with not trying to lose too quickly and adding exercise, but just to warn you sometimes exercise will make you super hungry so just something to keep a eye on!
    I struggle with this too but I find it helpful to eat lots of vegetables and lots of protein!!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Get a $20 food scale, weigh your portions, and log in those calories more accurately. I discovered I was eating way more cheese and nuts than I thought before weighing my portions, so of course I wasn't losing weight! Good luck!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I’ll chime in with asking if you changed what you eat. A lot of folks switch to “diet food” thinking they have eat things they don’t like (punishment) to lose weight. The beauty of MFP is that you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calorie goal. Now you may want to change it up to help improve satiety, but you definitely don’t have to subsist on kale and plain chicken greats. Though if that’s your thing, you do you, boo. One of the fun parts can be finding new ways to make old favorites. There’s tons of stuff in Pinterest and Insta.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    what @AnnPT77 and @Psychgrrl both said above.

Plus, my 2c (which is pretty much what everyone else up here has said) - set a lower deficit, make sure you are logging everything correctly and using a food scale, and also start to pay attention to what foods keep you fuller than others.

I also agree that you do not need to eat "diet food", but in some cases "diet food" will keep you fuller longer and will allow you more volume. I am a volume eater I need to have a massive plate full of food so that my brain thinks i'm not starving. So I make sure I get lots of vegetables in there because good bang for calorie buck. Potatoes - wonderful!

I personally don't use the MFP "eat back your exercise calories" method, but do eat the calories yes. I use TDEE method which takes exercise into consideration as well. I find it easier for my brain to know that I have x number of calories to eat instead of a fluctuating number that will change daily based on what I did or didn't do.

• dippy_duck
    dippy_duck Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said about setting a steady loss rate and setting a reasonable calorie goal that isn’t too low. I also wanted to say that the first week or so is always the hardest as you’re changing your mindset from mindlessly eating what you want to having to set limits. Once you get into the swing of it and find foods that keep you fuller for longer it will become much easier! Personally I like to have a huge dinner so I save loads of calories for that meal and have small lunches and breakfasts. I also exercise to earn more for an after dinner treat. This works for me, but you have to find what works for you :-)
    Good luck!