Wish me luck giving up the scale!?

Options
I'm being brave and giving up daily weigh ins, instead I'm going to limit myself to one at the start of each month and continue with my tape measure instead. I'm sick of waking up feeling great after the previous days workout only to start feeling like I've failed when that has no reflection in the numbers on the scale. I want to be fitter and leaner, and letting the scale diminish each weeks progress is ridiculous! Any support or success stories would be appreciated, I normally do daily weigh ins on the off chance that I've miraculously lost a kg overnight, but no more! It's all about the nsv now :)

Replies

• BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I had the same probelm- I wouldn't see a change in the scale (or an increase) and I would get discouraged, think "I'm never going to lose weight" and I'd give up. I am much happier weighing in and measuring once a week. I do, however, weigh daily just to keep an eye on my fluid retention because if it gets out of control, my blood pressure raises to near stroke levels :/
  • Bopo_Amy
    Bopo_Amy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am an intuitive eater and only weigh quarterly due to being in recovery for bulimia for 18 years. Helps my distortions. 😉
  • twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself only about once a week and that’s only if we visit my father-in-law (I don’t have scales but he does)
    It stops the temptation of weighing myself all the time if I had some in my house
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :) I really feel the temptation to weigh daily, but it's just not working for me any more. I'm positive that between my deficit and exercise l will see progress in a month, its just holding off on checking to avoid getting discouraged! I also had my daughter (3) wanting to step on the scale after me each day, and that is NOT a happy habit I want to encourage. It's much cooler having her ask to go running with me (not yet, but still cool).
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, just because. I weigh every Monday and log that weight with MFP.
    Last Monday I weighed 157.4
    I logged it. The day after it dropped to 156. The next day 155.8. Then I had a snack and wine night and the next day I was 159. The following day I was 158 again. Then 157.5. Today , Monday, I'm suppose to weigh in at 157.4..technically. But I weighed in at 158.4. I just went back and looked at my week and I'm under my calorie goal by 700 calories för the week. I know the reason why I'm heavier than last Monday is water weight. No biggie. I bet I weigh 156 in a couple of days. But I can only log it once a week. Next Monday I suppose to be 155.4...we will see.
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations can be discouraging but I still weigh daily for trending purposes.

I prefer to guage by how my clothes fit and measuring tape though as it shows progress.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a month, during a specific point in my period cycle (so you could say I go by the lunar month), just to help keep things consistent without me having to weigh myself often to establish a trend. I enjoy it more than weighing weekly or daily because I tend to always have a loss, even though some may be small.
  • RachelM2130
    RachelM2130 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I stopped weight myself last year and I found it refreshing to try on clothes to find them loose. I follow this Instagram #nonscalevictory it give me loads of motivation. I did weight myself there on Monday because I’ve only recently started back on MyFitnessPal I took a break for a couple of months.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I had been weighing daily and have just recently started weighing once or twice a week. I feel much better with this. Relieved actually. When I was weighing daily I didn’t want to admit it but I was influenced by the number on the scale. One pound up and I would feel like giving up. One pound down and I would think I had room to eat a bit more. The scale always ranged from 160 to 158. So I was stressing about the same 2 pounds! I’m just going to focus on being under my daily calorie goal and be less concerned with what number the scale happens to say on a given day!
  • MrsEddie2611
    MrsEddie2611 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing 4 weeks ago, I found it was causing me to sabotage myself. If I gained and I had been good all week I would then decide to treat myself as I had, had an unfair gain, if I had lost I would treat myself for being good all week. I looked at how I felt about dieting when I wasn't bothering and eating what I wanted, and one thing I noticed was I never used food as a reward or a crutch. Since I stopped weighing I haven't found the need to reward myself or consolidate myself. I plan on weighing on the 19th April that will be 6 weeks since my last weigh, and a night I have planned out, I will then set another weigh day for another night I have planned out in a month or so time. That way it's a planned meal out anyway, so it's not double sabotaging.
  • healingwmark
    healingwmark Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    At least i'm not the only one.....The scale was driving me insane. I lived by it :'( My wife ended up having to hide it and honestly, my stress level is so much better.