zumba

Options
anyone on here doing the zumba workouts? how is it? do you burn a lot of calories?

Replies

• Mrswheels01
    Mrswheels01 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I haven't but I think I want to try.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Zumba is an excellent calorie burner...depending on you , of course. I burn a lot of calories doing Zumba, 400-500 a class. It is the most fun I've ever had "working out"
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I go to classes a few times a week and depnding on how much I put into it I burn anywhere from 500-700 calories in a 60 minute class according to my HRM (which has a chest strap). One small disclaimer though is that if you're going to classes the instructor makes a HUGE difference. I'm lucky to have amazing instructors at my gym but I've been to other classes where they've been terrible!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba Tuesday's and Thursday's. I burn about 350 calories (give or take a little) during my 45 minute workouts. However, you can up the intensity and burn more if you'd like. I just have to be a little lower impact because of my shin splints. :smile:
  • neffle75
    neffle75 Posts: 22
    Options
    I love zumba! I try to do it 2-3 times a week. I generally burn between 400-500 calories. I have lost 33 lbs doing zumba and watching what I eat. It is so much fun! You should definitely try it!
  • sbrodeur
    Options
    Zumba is great! And yes, it burns a ton of calories. If you like music and love to dance, you won't even feel like you're exercising, it's so fun! Go for it!
  • CME37
    CME37 Posts: 16
    Options
    It's lots of fun! You don't even realize your working out! I <3 It!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I go to classes a few times a week and depnding on how much I put into it I burn anywhere from 500-700 calories in a 60 minute class according to my HRM (which has a chest strap). One small disclaimer though is that if you're going to classes the instructor makes a HUGE difference. I'm lucky to have amazing instructors at my gym but I've been to other classes where they've been terrible!

Ditto. Some of my instructors are more intense than others.

I actually go to the classes to help satisfy my wanting to dance. I am currently doing Insanity and I workout in the morning just so I can get to Zumba in the evening.
  • Charlene_91
    Options
    I love it! I do it on the Wii (obviously not the same, but i enjoy it) I roughly burn 300 calories in 30mins. x
  • mebutslimmer
    mebutslimmer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba too...Zumba instructors vary hugely. They vary in how difficult a class they plan for, my instructor does a Zumba gold class on a Mon that is lower intensity (too easy for me lol) and a harder class on a Wed. Lots of cardio, and since she is back from her maternity leave she has also included lots of toning moves too.

Anyone who can make it through the day long training session and pays the £170 odd can call themselves a licenced instructor, so they also vary in terms of quality too. While my excellent instructor was on mat leave she had different stand ins. One was great. One lacked co-ordination and couldn't follow the music in time. One was about a size 24. I admired her confidence to stand at the front of the class and do it, but she wasn't easy to follow when she did her routines, and I prefer an instructor who is fitter than me to inspire me to improve. A third was ok.
  • chigirl_j
    chigirl_j Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You get a great workout! I only have the wii fitness game to go by for 20 mins and it is fun as well. I can only image what an actual class is like which is my next goal. :smile:
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i do a zumba class once a week. in last saturday's class i burned 663 calories. zumba is alot of fun. try it....you will definitely enjoy it.
  • AGAHM13
    AGAHM13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I agree with the others that the instructor is key. If you get one you don't like, don't give up. Just find another instructor. The first time I did it I thought it was super boring. Turns out the teacher just wasn't the best. The Zumba instructor I have now is so popular that we have to be there almost 45 minutes before class to sign up!
  • oceanlvr9495
    Options
    i ordered the tapes off the tv. thanks for all your input!!! can't wait to try them out!!!
    :bigsmile:
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!!! I'm new to the "craze" only having gone to my first class last Saturday, but then I went Sunday and again on Tuesday. Our gym has three different instructors and I've experienced all three of them now and definitely have a favorite. But it is a lot of fun and doesn't seem like exercise (well, maybe a little due to the sweat and burning muscles), but it is definitely a workout!!! I'd say try it!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba and love it. If its a good class. I went to one last night and the instructor kept stopping between songs to talk about stuff and drink water. Drove me nuts! It was just long enough that my HR would come down. I wont use that class again. But I do a great one on saturdays and it feels so good to get all hot and sweaty!