Help! Gaining weight!

Options
82EC
82EC Posts: 123 Member
So this morning I put on 0.3kg for yesterday’s efforts. Yesterday (Sunday) I did my strength exercises, walked 5000 steps (approx) and all I ate was 3 slices of pizza when having lunch with a friend.
I cannot understand what I did wrong!
My regime is that I exercise 5 days per week, weigh myself daily and lose a little bit every day. I know if i’ve done something wrong because I don’t lose and I can correct that the next day. So far I’ve lost 16.4kg but still have another 24 kg to lose.
Grateful to hear you ideas on where I’m going wrong!

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not linear. there are ups and down on any given day and from day to day based on water retention and other things. maybe the extra salt from the pizza led to short term water retention. Maybe the extra walking led to muscles retaining water to repair themselves.

it`s find to weigh daily but please do not live and breath by the number on the scale. it will go up and down. use a weight trending app and look at the general trend.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Don’t sweat it, it’s just one day, tomorrow you could be 2lbs down
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I ate under my calories yesterday, I think 1500 out of 1600, with 2 slices of pizza. I was up .6lbs today, I didnt bat an eye. Weight fluctuates daily, I have my period so I know I ate way over last week and I always under eat this week. My trend is still down, so I don't worry about it.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Over the last six weeks, I've been losing (according to Happy Scale) at between 1.5 and 1.8 pounds/week.
    Even then, I've had single-day jumps of up to 1.5 pounds.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    you gained 300grams. Nothing to worry about. Maybe you slept bad. I saw you had pizza, depending on who/whats in pizza, thats often high in salt. so could just be water weight. I would not worry about this. Congrats on losing weight. I get the fear of gaining, but this isn't one to worry about. a walk around the block will shake that off. But if gaining slight weight like that worries, you, please see someone. Otherwise, only worry if weight hasnt shifted after a couple weeks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    82EC wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 I started on my own in early December 2018 and lost 6kg before going on a GP supervised program in early February 2019.

If I'm understanding you right, that would be 10kg/22lbs roughly in 2 months, which is quite a fast rate of loss - nearly 3 pounds a week. If you're under close medical monitoring with blood tests and such, or quite substantially overweight at this point, that may be fine, but I'd still expect there to be times when your weight won't decline every single day, or necessarily even over a few days, especially as you get lighter. That's just the nature of the process.

I'd encourage you not to react to each day's scale weight as if it's necessarily the outcome of the previous day's behavior, because it likely isn't. Digestive transit, according to research, can take up to 50+ hours, with nutrients being processed and absorbed through much of that process. In that light, it would be surprising to see the effect of food eaten within the past 24 or fewer hours entirely reflected in fat stores the next day. Water weight fluctuations and digestive contents variations, sure. But those latter are not things you need to react to, except in unusual medical conditions (your doctor would've advised you if you needed to be concerned about those, I'm sure).

I'd suggest eating the number of calories you're supposed to eat each day (or close), in foods that provide you good nutrition certainly but also satiation and enjoyment; and trust the process to result in fat loss over the longer haul. Stress and over-restriction can both increase magnitude of water-weight fluctuations, and since you seem to be easily worried about fluctuations, I think relaxing and trusting the process (if you possibly can) will help dampen stress/over-restriction fluctuations.

Best wishes!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    82EC wrote: »
    Just an update: yesterday morning I lost Sunday’s weight and then today I was down again by 0.6kg! Bodies are weird!

Yes they are! And now you're aware of that, which should help you as you go forward.

Thanks for giving us an update: It's always interesting to hear what happened.

Best wishes!