Old Fat to a New Skinny

Options
I am looking for mentors as well as weight loss buddies. Whether you are cyber or my neighbor, I need support. I find myself shooting myself in the foot because I do not have the motivation to loose weight. My husband always tells me he loves me for who I am and he has lost 50 lbs in the last 4 months and I want to do it also.

My down fall is SWEETS, CHEESE, BREADS, CHIPS.. He stocks up on this stuff in the house alot. We have 3 kids. 18, 17, 11... They are growing kids and they eat alot. So I REALLY try to pawn off the junk food on them so it will not be in the house.. They seem to have such HIGH metabolism.

I was 165 in high school. But went through some major, horrible, nightmares in life after graduation I developed a REAL low self esteem. My husband now of 16 years has always been positive, loving, and supportive of me. Unfortunately, being 385 lbs makes it hard for me to want to be seen out in public. And I gawk at those fancy sun dresses or cute outfits skinny women wear and have 4 black trash bags full of HOPE clothes. (hope to get into again some day)

I was asked to be in a wedding in April 2013. And of all places it will be in the Bahamas.. So I am VERY desperate to loose this weight and show my husband a wonderful romantic time while we are there, since we really never had a honey moon..

Any one who is interested in being my pity shoulder to cry on, or my swift kick in my butt to get me motivated.. PLEASE hit me up because I am ready to be a SBW and not a BBW.. (in case you do not know what that means, SKINNY BEAUTIFUL WOMAN and BIG BEAUTIFUL WOMAN.. :flowerforyou:

10557629.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• tnc9424
    tnc9424 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I would love to be your friend!! Good luck. You can do it. You have to put into it what you want to get out of it. I HATE exercising but I started with 10 minutes a day and worked up. I love food... anykind!!!
  • Raebug123
    Raebug123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Girl you got this! I will gladly help you in anyway I can and there are so many people on this site willing to do the same! :happy:
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi....I'd be glad to be your friend. I'm 46 and have been here since the end of January and log on faithfully everyday. I also have a teenager (he's 17) in the house and of course I have to keep junk food in the house for him which at first it was really tough for me but now it's a lot easier. I buy healthy snacks for myself and avoid the crap lol. My weakness is carbs but I've come a long way from a couch potato to an addicted exercise junkie lol.

Feel free to add me and I'll be happy to be your cheerleader:):) Good luck, you can do this!!!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Cheer up! That is what mfp is all about. We are here to support you and to pick you back up every step of the way! You can do this! You already made the first step! Now just take another and keep going!
  • hefinator
    hefinator Posts: 260
    Options
    ****SWIFT KICK****
    Welcome!! The support here is AMAZING!! Without it, i don't think i would have accomplished some of the things I have in the short 6 weeks i've been ACTIVELY trying to lose these stubborn pounds!! people here provide all the motivation i need to keep going, excercise more, and even try NEW exercises!!! You will look FABULOUS in the Bahamas in 2013! Add me as a friend and i will be that swift kick when you need it!! :)

~~Holly
  • antifloyd
    Options
    The thing that strikes me about your post is that you say your husband has lost 50 pounds ... but he stocks the house up on junk food? I know your kids' metabolisms are high now, but everybody in the house might benefit from cutting back on the junk food and trying to eat healthier in general. My metabolism used to be high also, I could eat whatever I wanted, never exercise and not gain weight. Of course that has changed as I've gotten older, but those habits are harder to break the longer you've had them.
  • Jlynnharris
    Options
    You got this! We are in this together. Remember this is a marathon and not a sprint.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I'm here for you if you want to add me. You can do this with baby steps. First word of advice, no junk food in the house. Your kids don't need it either. There's lots of healthy snacks that feel like junk food you can have in the house that everyone can enjoy. And get up and start now. Go walk around the block. It's so gratifying to log exercise into your diary to give you extra calories to eat. Whether it's a should to cry on or kick in the *kitten* you need, I'm here.

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi!! It seems like you do have a long road ahead, but you can do it. You can definitely find motivation and inspiration on this site. Make sure you check out the Success Stories under the community: I am AMAZED at what some people have accomplished!!

I would say the first thing to do is to get rid of the junk food at your house. You need to get rid of the temptation. Replace it with healthy stuff (I replaced fruit for the sweets, which is my major downfall).

Good luck! Add me as a friend if you'd like :smile:
  • mistyokstate
    mistyokstate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Gwen, You've made the hardest step which is coming out and saying you're trying to other people. The best advice I can give someone in a goal like this is to remember it's a marathon not a sprint. You won't necessarily see immediate results but every time you make a healthier choice on what to eat or every time you go out and exercise, you are doing yourself good and are working towards your goal.
  • AJAdkins
    AJAdkins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try going to Hungry-girl.com! I watch her show all the time. lol. But she has good substitutes for a lot of the yummy sweets... ALSO, she was talking about this ice cream that comes in a pint and the WHOLE pint is worth 150 calories!!! Sadly I am lactose intolerant and can not have it, but I try to tell ppl because I love ice cream soo much and it's torture not being able to eat it!
    As far as bread goes.. I like to use Wonder- light wheat Bread.. two slices are only 80 cals and there is 5 grams of protein + fiber in them! SCORE! lol.. Ya gotta find something that works for you, I was trying all different things and finally after all this time I'm really starting to find my groove. :) Just remember.. it takes time and every pound lost even if its a half a pound is something to celebrate because those add up! The fact that you're on here lookin for help is a BIG step in the right direction. :)
  • terryrob2
    terryrob2 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi you sound a lot like me I'm getting the calories down but the exercising is hard for me no motivation here husband says he loves me for me which is great but not a great tool for this. Friend me if you want to we can try this together
  • txhyde
    txhyde Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow.. quick responses.. Thank you for the positive motivation. I look forward to your shoulders, virtual hugs, and swift kicks in the butt hahahahaha.. I REALLY need them... I have tried and tried to start diets. I lost 100 lbs in 4 months once while being on Atkins and my doctor put me on Phentermine. I kept it of for 4 years until I developed esophageal spasms and a doctor put me on Amitriptyline, and I gained all of it back in 3 months. I immediately called the doctor and demanded to be taken off it. So I find myself starting over every week.. Putting it off til the next week. Oh I will start this diet on MONDAY. Oh well lets just wait until the first of the month.. Well the new year is coming how about waiting until then?? Yes I am a procrastinator and I will admit it.. Thank you for your support and quick responses.. This makes me feel good and now I am ANXIOUS to get started..
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! You'll love MFP if you stick to it. Good luck and you can add me as a friend if you like!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I will be your friend!

I love using MFP. It helps to keep me on track. My youngest are teenagers, 15 and 17, and one can eat anything and still weigh 90#, the other has an athletic build and needs to keep moving. We recently joined a fitness and aquatic center 10 minutes from our house and we all go together. We have started doing Zumba and laugh at ourselves and each other, but we LOVE it! It is definitely addictive. My skinny one knows that she looks just like I did at her age and I'm not skinny anymore, so she wants to get in the exercise habit now not to lose weight but to build stamina and fitness.

For me, I have to keep stuff that tempts me OUT of the house! Soda is not a temptation for me - my hubby loves it, but it doesn't call my name. Chocolate is my weakness, so I don't buy it. If anyone wants chocolate, they have to eat it somewhere else. I cook healthy vegan meals (occasionally cooking a low-fat meat or fish dish for my family just because they like it and ask nicely) and everyone eats it.
  • LuvnSnownSun
    Options
    I totally get where you are at. I'm new to this site. It was a suggestion of a friend of mine who has lost 112 pounds to date through hard work and the support of this site. She's amazing. I'll admit, I don't have the drive or dedication that she does. I do want to have a happier healthier life though, and I'm committed to that. Since splitting with my ex and changing general life patterns, like eating dinner late and having fast food for 2 out of 3 meals a day, I just discovered I've lost nearly 45 pounds! By just discovered I mean, I wouldn't step on the scale before because I thought I looked like a cow in pictures and knew, in my head, I was skinnier than those pictures said. Stepping on the scale only solidified the cow effect and brought reality home. A year and a half ago or so I was 235-240... and still couldn't believe how "fat" I looked in pictures. I asked a girl at work if i really looked like that in person or was it just bad pictures. She didn't answer. Last weekend my Wii, who is brutally honest, told me I'm 191lbs! And Obese. Little bugger anyway.

Anywho, that’s my story, I'm very happy to be here for you for mental / emotional support if you'd like to add me. I'm on a mission. I want to not pant when I'm walking up a hill (or before just in the house from the car) and I want to feel pretty when people take pictures, not think "damn, here comes another camera, time for more bad photos".
  • Kristy144
    Kristy144 Posts: 166
    Options
    Welcome! :) Good luck toy ou on your weight loss journey! Think of the Bahamas as your reward for loosing all your weight! How awesome! :)
  • evanryn
    evanryn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'll be there for you!!! Just add me as a friend if you like!! Good luck and stay positive =)

~e
  • DizneGal
    Options
    I'm here and I'm in town! I went the WLS route, and I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat, but you STILL have to change your head (which is why I'm here). Weightloss is 90% mental. Understanding this is NOT a diet, but a new way of life, will help you stay focused. IMO, diets make us fat.

Anyway, thanks for the friend request! Good luck, and my advice is to set your goals in 10lb increments. It's much more manageable that way! Also, only RECORD your weight once a week. It can fluctuate daily so much, but recording (yes, WRITE IT DOWN!) it once a week really lets you see how much you've accomplished.
    -Trinity
  • AztoOregon
    Options
    Thanks for telling us about your goals and your motivation. I too am told by my husband that I am fine just the way I am but I know that I shouldn't be this fat. I am currently 295 and I HATE IT! I love that we can talk about our weight in the open and have people support us. I don't have anyone to work out with me either since I have a 2 year old and a 7 year old my husband tells me he doesn't want to go to the gym with me when they are sleeping or get a babysitter. So I walk with the kids and swim but I need more. Feel free to add me and we can push eacother.