Feeling Sluggish when will this end.

Options
1.5wks ago I was 111.4kgs, lived in sugar and barely exercised.
Today I am 3kgs lighter, 1200-1400 cals, exercising daily (more 5 days, lighter walking 2 days). I eat 2-3 proteins, 2 fruits, small carbs, unlimited water and veg. This keeps me very satisfied.
I have lots of motivation but no energy. I know I just need to push through but I need some tips or rough time lines. Thank you.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more. Feeling sluggish is one of the symptoms of undereating. MFP is designed in a way that is slightly different from what you might have seen elsewhere. If you're exercising, you're supposed to log these activities and eat back any calories you spent doing them on top of your usual calorie allowance. This guarantees proper fueling and nutrition.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree, you're not eating enough. When I feel sluggish that's usually the problem. You've lost a lot for a week and a half. Are you weighing and measuring all your food? Do you use a digital food scale? What calorie goal did MFP give you? What are your stats? All of these things enter into how much you eat a day. You need to fuel workouts or you'll burn out. Better to eat more, lose a little slower, but stick with it long term. Good luck.
  • naysies
    naysies Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying.
    I actually feel full on the 1200-1400 cals and feel I am eating a good size meal and a good variety.
    I will admit I definitely struggled the first few days but this last 4-5 days I have felt full after my meals and happy to eat 4-5 small meals.
    I will definitely try adding in another small meal to see if that helps, but it feels like I would be overeating for how hungry I feel.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    naysies wrote: »
    Thank you for replying.
    I actually feel full on the 1200-1400 cals and feel I am eating a good size meal and a good variety.
    I will admit I definitely struggled the first few days but this last 4-5 days I have felt full after my meals and happy to eat 4-5 small meals.
    I will definitely try adding in another small meal to see if that helps, but it feels like I would be overeating for how hungry I feel.

This can happen in the beginning, but then all of a sudden you can be ravenous and start binging. This happens to so many, and then they quit. You need to know how much you're really eating, and how much you should be. What did MFP give you for your daily calorie goal?
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I weigh a lot less then you and eat 1500 a day, aiming to lose 1 lb a week (lost 16 so far). Slow is more sustainable, fast feels good initially but you can't keep going at that rate., Trust me, I've tried.
  • naysies
    Options
    Ok this all makes sense. I will try to increase my intake.
    MFP gave me 1400 cals and then I burn around 300-500 with exercise, so I am way under that. But I feel like I eat well.
    Ugh this is why I am fat I clearly have no idea. But I really want it to last and not put it all back on so I will definitely add in some extra calories.
  • naysies
    Options
    Yes, I agree, you're not eating enough. When I feel sluggish that's usually the problem. You've lost a lot for a week and a half. Are you weighing and measuring all your food? Do you use a digital food scale? What calorie goal did MFP give you? What are your stats? All of these things enter into how much you eat a day. You need to fuel workouts or you'll burn out. Better to eat more, lose a little slower, but stick with it long term. Good luck.

I definitely don't measure my food.
    I originally bought a woolies salad and make my salads in the same size with similar ingredients so I am assuming they are the same cals.
    I eat half a chicken breast, medium banana etc so that's easy to calculate.
    I could add more carbs in for sure, I guess I am trying to stay away mostly.
    Thank you for your advice, it's greatly appreciated
  • naysies
    Options
    Hunger does not correlate well with how much food you need. If this was the case, no one would be too thin or too fat. You're currently in what is called the "diet honeymoon" phase, where you're motivated and the change in the way you eat is making you less hungry than you would expect. If you continue undereating, you're much more likely to fall into compensatory binging in the future. That's a hard hole to dig yourself out of.

Ok I will definitely follow your advice and start eating more frequently.
    Thank you so much for your advice.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    naysies wrote: »

I definitely don't measure my food.
    I originally bought a woolies salad and make my salads in the same size with similar ingredients so I am assuming they are the same cals.
    I eat half a chicken breast, medium banana etc so that's easy to calculate.
    I could add more carbs in for sure, I guess I am trying to stay away mostly.
    Thank you for your advice, it's greatly appreciated

The bolded will catch up with you eventually.

Also things like half a chicken breast and medium banana are not 'easy to calculate'.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You should be eating back at least half of your exercise calories. So 1400 from MFP plus 250 in exercise cals = 1650.
    How much do you want to lose?