Lifting program

Options
These are the programs I'm alternating between, any suggestions/tweaks esp regarding the actual weight

c6ylafqqf6qz.jpg
ffpsthxfhldm.jpg

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no one else can comment on the weight, its whatever weight is right for you to be able to do the sets and reps mentioned with good form.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    The weight you lift is whatever you can lift safely with correct form. There are theories around rep range and its impact and the general consensus appears to be that 1-5 reps builds strength, 6-12 builds mass, 12+ builds endurance.
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Looks good! I would just make sure you're giving yourself a day of rest if you're doubling down on the same muscle groups in both programs (squats, glute bridge).
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ah yes maybe I meant more reps rather than weight, so would I benefit doing less reps/higher weight! I think I'll stick at this for 4 weeks then it gives me somewhere to go after that
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You can always increase the weight so you max out at 9 reps and then work your way back to 12.
  • kymmixxx
    Options
    kymmixxx wrote: »
    Ah yes maybe I meant more reps rather than weight, so would I benefit doing less reps/higher weight! I think I'll stick at this for 4 weeks then it gives me somewhere to go after that

I would caution against what people are telling you here on this. Less reps = more mass/strength is pretty cut dry for men, but women need more Time Under Tension, 10-12 rep range, because we have a much higher resistance to muscle breakdown than the fellas do.

Really? That's interesting, so 10-12 is better for women?
  • kymmixxx
    Options

I would caution against what people are telling you here on this. Less reps = more mass/strength is pretty cut dry for men, but women need more Time Under Tension, 10-12 rep range, because we have a much higher resistance to muscle breakdown than the fellas do.

Really? That's interesting, so 10-12 is better for women?

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00422739

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10606825?access_num=10606825&link_type=MED&dopt=Abstract

Some articles if you really want to get into the science behind it. But yes! An example, most male lifters can find an incredible amount of muscle growth in doing a basic 3x3 strength training program. For women, that's simply not enough stress to break down our muscle fibers.

Biologically thinking, women are a lot more resistant to bodily stress than men are. We're made to go tremendous strain like childbirth. It's why a lot of studies show we have a higher pain tolerance. Same attributes to muscle stress adaptation and recovery.

That's really interesting and I'm definitely gonna read up on these when I finish work properly later, thank u :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    OP - use a weight that's challenging. It should be a struggle to complete your sets.. with the possible exception of the first set of each exercise.

Btw, the pec fly with twist is inferior to the regular pec fly in all ways. I'd replace it with pushups or other chest exercise.
    Personally i'd drop the adductor/abductor exercises and replace with Romanian Deadlifts, which are far more functional.

Btw #2, you're missing shoulder exercises. Who designed that program?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    So you're just going to do the same number of reps and sets at the same weight every time? Is there no progression?