Disney World Honeymoon Tips

Options
_Khaleesi_
_Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
Hey all!! We're going to Disney for our honeymoon next year! It's still quite a while away (Our honeymoon kicks off October 2012), I can't help but get giddy with planning. I am so excited (more for my honeymoon than the wedding)!

Do you guys have any tips to make this trip even more special? What should we be sure to hit? What do we HAVE to do?

Bonus points if you post your own pictures!!

Whitney

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    The tea cup ride.
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    omg ok, so not married but so JEALOUS of your honeymoon! Thats amazing, im jealous very jealous, i thought my 18th at Disneyland Paris was impressive, but not enough! Enjoy it!!!!! x
  • olpbabe
    olpbabe Posts: 89
    Options
    Oh, honey, I could write a book! I practically live in Disney World, I go there so often! I can write more later (at work now), but be sure to build up your walking, because you can easily hit 40,000 steps each day!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Sex. Lots and lots of sex
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    October? That should be the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. You've got to go to that!
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've done DisneyWorld 9x, a week a throw ... my advice is STAY ON-SITE at a Disney Resort hotel. You REALLY wanna do that. Here are some of the reasons.
    No need for a rental car - take the tram or bus. Parks open early for guests, parks stay open later for guests. If they are still doing E-Ticket nights - that is the best $12 you can spend. The park closes at normal time for everyone else; but stays open to 2am for you. Ride Splash Mountain, and if no one is in line; you can ride again, and again.

Stuff you buy, is delivered to your room - free of charge. No need to carry your stuff all day long. Buses run between the park and the resort every 20 minutes. Open the park, run back to the room to 'relax'; take obligatory nap, grab a bite to eat at the resort resturant, take the bus back around 4 or so. By then, the bulk of the people have had their day, and are winding down; but you are rested and ready to close the place down!

Not knowing your budget, there are plenty of great resorts to stay at. I've done the Moderate Resorts several times, and have never had less than a fantastic time.

I envy you. Check out www.mousesavers.com for discounts, and ideas.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I had my honeymoon there too!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If it's warm enough, hit the water parks. I love the water parks.

I pretty much despise everything else about that place, but "France" has really good chocolate mousse and a cheese plate in the little a la carte place behind the main restaurant.

Oh, and I adore the Buzz Lightyear ride.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    DIsney is kind of an odd place. For dinner you have to make reservations weeks before you go. To me that sucks the fun out, but it can still be nice.
    Disney Orlando is twice the size of Manhattan, so it is best to stay in one area for at least 1/2 a day or else you move around too much.
    There is a light parade every night in the Magic Kingdom. The parade is OK, but EVERYONE goes there so you won't be able to move around if you are anywhere near it.
    There are fireworks at 10(?) every night.

The best ride by far is Mission Space in Epcot. It completely blew me away. Other than that, I am very nostalgic for the places I went to as a kid like Hall of Presidents, Its a Small World, Haunted Mansion, etc...

We stayed at the Contemporary Resort which the Monorail goes through. It was OK. I strongly recommend the Grande Floridian.

Also, we recently went to Universal Orlando. We loved it. It is much smaller and more intimate than Disney. If you stay there you don't have to wait on lines at the rides. you literally just walk past 200 people and get on.

Enjoy!!!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There are fireworks at 10(?) every night.

Depending on time of year, I think the Magic Kingdom fireworks are at 9 and the Epcot ones are at 10.
  • _Khaleesi_
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!! We are planning on staying on site in a value resort. We figured we wouldn't shell out for a deluxe resort since we will be spending such little time there.
  • aclukehart
    Options
    bump! i love disney, best place on Earth :)
  • Melaniemarie86
    Melaniemarie86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Plan early! And yes, if you are planning on eating anywhere that is a sit down restaurant, book asap... because of the Disney Dining plan, restaurants have been filling up much faster than they used to... it is less fun, but you have to take it or leave it. I'm not sure about your budget, but here are some great places for dining while on your trip.

Victoria and Albert's - if you two are really into fine dining, make sure to bring your shiny shoes and a full wallet for this one. This is the most expensive restaurant on property, but from what I hear, one of the most romantic. It would be something very special.

The California Grill - This place has some really awesome food! It's also pretty expensive though, since it is considered fine dining, and has one of the best views in all of Disney World.

O'Hana - Family style grilled meats and other Polynesian stuff... I think it's pretty tasty.

Chef Micky's - Yes, it's geared more towards the kids, but going there with a significant other would be cute. :smile: It's buffet style with mostly American food, and the characters come around to say hey!

There's probably more I'm not thinking of at the moment, but if you're curious about what these places serve or the cost, there's loads of information on Disney's site. In fact, I believe they have menus posted for most if not all of the eateries.

With stuff to do, I'm not sure how much it is or anything, but for my sister's birthday one year, we took a boat out on the lagoon and watched the Magic Kingdom's fireworks from a private boat. It was amazing! I hear you can do the same thing for the Epcot fireworks, but I'm not sure how that would be.

I hope that helps somewhat. So jealous! Enjoy planning and enjoy the trip! :happy:
  • _Khaleesi_
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!! :)

Any other tips to share??
  • olpbabe
    olpbabe Posts: 89
    Options
    You will walk A LOT! Make sure you walk beforehand.

Call starting 180 days in advance for dining reservations. I have eaten almost everywhere, my favorites are:
    - Ohana's (at the Polynesian Resort, can reach by monorail)- Polynesian all you can eat (they bring it to you). Chicken wings, lo mein noodles, salad, pineapple bread, kabobs of pork, steak, chicken, and shrimp. My absolute favorite, and my best friend Michael works there. Amazing!!
    - Liberty Tree Tavern (Magic Kingdom) - also all you can eat (bring it to you). Down home food, awesome mashed potatoes and macaroni.
    - Chef Mickey's (Contemporary Resort, can reach by monorail) - all you can eat buffet, breakfast is wonderful with characters, very fun and yummy!
    - Flame Tree BBQ (Animal Kingdom) - I LOVE BBQ and this is a grab and go with plenty of seating. Delicious and not that expensive.
    - Le Cellier (Canadian restaurant in EPCOT) - BEST. STEAKS. and other food as well, also equally as good. Make reservations as soon as possible when you can, because this books up immediately.
    - Les Chefs de France (France restaurant in EPCOT) - delicious food all around
    - Teppan Edo Restaurant (Japan in EPCOT) - I don't even like Asian food and I LOVE this hibachi!
    - The Earl of Sandwich (Downtown Disney) - like a Quiznos or Subway, only MUCH BETTER

Get fastpasses for Toy Story Mania AS SOON as you enter Hollywood Studios. It is a super fun and popular ride, and the lines are ALWAYS long and the fastpasses go out quick. This also goes for Soarin' in EPCOT.

You can use fastpasses at any time after the start time is. Some people think you can ONLY go during the hour the fastpass says, but no. (ex. If it says go back between 3-4pm, you can go on at any point after 3pm...even if it's 9pm)

If you do the safari in Animal Kingdom, do it first thing in the morning or right before it closes (usually at sundown). Otherwise, the animals are hot and won't be out and about. You get a much better show then.

Tomorrowland is a good place in MK to watch the fireworks.

Peter Pan in MK is NOT worth the super long line it always has.

My personal favorite must-do rides
    - MK - Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise (hopefully you get a good tour guide because they are HILARIOUS), Buzz Lightyear, LAUGH FACTORY (SO freaking funny), Big Thunder Railroad, Splash Mountain (you will get soaked), Donald's Philharmonic
    - AK - Kali River Rapids (you will get soaked), Everest, The Nemo stage show (I cry), Dinosaur
    - DHS - Toy Story, Rockin' Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror (I love to hate that ride), Star Tours, Indy stage show, Muppets
    - Epcot - Soarin', Test Track, Mission: Earth...honestly, I just love to walk/drink around the world

You'll be going during the Food/Wine Festival at EPCOT, MY FAVORITE. Bring at least $100 to sample all the yummy small plates from around the world. There's also the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween, which I go to every year. Halloween is my favorite! Lots of silly spooky fun.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any other questions, I pretty much know/love everything Disney. I'll be there in 34 days to run a 5k on Oct. 1! Yippie!

EDIT: OH, you can go to the Polynesian Resort by boat/monorail from the MK and watch the fireworks with a unobstructed view from the beach...directly in front of the castle. BEST way to see it! Plus, you can see them from Ohana's if you're eating dinner there.