Slim Fast vs. Protein Powder

Options
Hey all....
So.. what would be better? Slim Fast or protein powder? Slim fast is a little more on the cheaper side vs. protein powder. But is it worth the higher cost for the lather? Does it depend on the person and their goal?
I am current 285 and I just started doing the working out and eating healthy thing. I just want to figure out what's best for me.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Better for what? Protein powder is a supplement, and Slim Slow is a can full of chemicals that claims to have magic powers. What are you looking to do with them?

Rigger
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    What do you want this "food" to do for you?
    Are you looking for an easy meal, to increase your protein, to get specific nutrients or a magic pill to make you lose weight?

I'd suggest you step back and decide what outcome you want. ie. if you want to bump up the amount of protein you want, look for the product with more protein. If you want to reduce overall calories, look for the product with less calories.

If you are looking for a generic "something to help you lose weight' then I'd suggest you skip the processed powders and eat real food up to your calorie allowance. There isn't anything magic in any of these powders and potions, if they meet a specific need in your diet, that's great, but otherwise, don't worry about them - just eat real food in the right quantity.

You say you are eating healthy and working out, that's fantastic, keep it up!
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Hey all....
    So.. what would be better? Slim Fast or protein powder? Slim fast is a little more on the cheaper side vs. protein powder. But is it worth the higher cost for the lather? Does it depend on the person and their goal?
    I am current 285 and I just started doing the working out and eating healthy thing. I just want to figure out what's best for me.

slim fast is a joke.

grab a tub of protein powder for $20 and be happier.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hey all....

slim fast is a joke.

But why is protein powder such a winner? If the op is getting plenty of protein from food, then what's the point, isn't she just wasting her money on supplements that she doesn't need?
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I make an espresso/vanilla protein powder/almond milk iced drink in the morning to get me moving.
    It's awesome.
    It is not a meal replacement, it is a good start to reaching my protein goal which sometimes I have a tough time with.

I would not suggest Slim Fast, as it is meant to replace meals.
    That never lasts long.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Hey all....

slim fast is a joke.

But why is protein powder such a winner? If the op is getting plenty of protein from food, then what's the point, isn't she just wasting her money on supplements that she doesn't need?

is she getting plenty of protein from food? if so then sure, you don't need it. I was simply answering the question asked. :)
  • LuvlyBayGirl
    LuvlyBayGirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your answers. I don't do protein shakes (yet... i guess). Everyone I have run into who has lost weight said that I should throw a shake in somewhere in my daily meals and swear by it. I was just wondering what the difference is between the two after walking past them at the grocery store. And i was hoping someone would tell me if it was a good idea or not. I am iffy on all the weight loss drinks, pills, powders, ect. Thanks, Rubybelle for your input!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    There is no such thing as "muscle tone".
    The "infomercial site" lost me as soon as I saw that.
    Looks like some sort of MLM scam.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your answers. I don't do protein shakes (yet... i guess). Everyone I have run into who has lost weight said that I should throw a shake in somewhere in my daily meals and swear by it. I was just wondering what the difference is between the two after walking past them at the grocery store. And i was hoping someone would tell me if it was a good idea or not. I am iffy on all the weight loss drinks, pills, powders, ect. Thanks, Rubybelle for your input!

Protein shakes are very popular and probably part of that popularity is just because we see other people drinking them. They are not a normal part of my daily routine because I don't always need them. I do drink them though because there are days where I do.

Slimfast is a meal replacement system. When it works, it works the same way all diets do by creating a calorie deficit. Some people are successful with this system (I know of one). I think I share the same problem that many people share with trying to go this route... I find solid food to be more satisfying. I believe that ultimately weight loss is about finding a sustainable lane. SF is not my lane.
  • JaneAero
    JaneAero Posts: 94 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    My kids use the protein powders at home in a blender, but I can't be bothered using the blender and washing it up, so when at home I eat ordinary foods.
    However when I'm in town or out for the day and its lunchtime, I pick up a bottle of ready prepared protein milkshake/drink, or a slimfast/meal replacement and its a bonus they both have protein.
    However, despite both curbing my appetite to some extent, I personally prefer the Slimfast for a few reasons.
    The milkshake leaves me still feeling hungry, the slimfast has bulking agents or stuff that swells to make me feel full up, like a normal meal would.
    I then don't think about food until dinnertime. Its calorie counted and simple to log in my food diary, its convenient and its already mixed and compared to the cost its a lot cheaper than a cafe sandwich. (Slimfast £1.50, sandwich in Pret £4).
    My objectives might be different to other people, its convenient, cheap, already mixed, good enough for a day out etc...
    However, long term the protein powders will I assume be pure, unadulterated, good quality nutrition, assuming you can afford the upfront costs (about £20-40 a tub) fair enough, I can't/do t want to spend that much ... And it would sit around in a cupboard gathering dust to be honest.
    If I had a spare £20/it would go on healthy groceries such as natural yogurts, high quality muesli, steak, chicken etc not a weird tasting protein drink (I don't like the tastes and I've tried lots because my kids are always asking me to try some).
    Lastly, I dont want to drink protein shakes daily, I'm not a body builder, this isn't how my ancestors ate, I prefer to eat real food and only an occasional protein drink when out and about, mainly to avoid cafes and takeaways.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I saw my mom on slim fast almost my whole childhood. It worked for her, but I wouldn't have much success with it for various reasons. But, I do keep the high protein slim fast on hand because I like to use it for smoothies. I have them about once a week. Smoothies usually aren't filling for me, but with the slim fast in it they are. I don't think there is anything wrong with the product in and of itself, but the most common thing i've heard about trying the entire slim fast diet is that it just doesn't fit well into people's lives. Best of luck trying to find what works best for you!