Neck pain..

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
Anyone know what can help, any streching or something?

Replies

• birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you pulled a muscle, I would recommend alternating heat and ice (15 min each) and don't try to stretch it out...Let it heal...
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Thank you I will give it a try!
  • HisButterfly
    HisButterfly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There is A LOT you can do!!! Where is the pain in your neck and when do you experience it? During certain movements or activities? All the time? Is this the result of an injury or an "out of nowhere" thing?

To list a few......

Ensure you are drinking enough water (Your body requires about half it's weight in ounces per day. i.e., 200lb. = 100oz.)
    Stretching
    Kryotherapy
    Heat
    Myofascial Release
    Epsom Soaks
    Kinesiotaping
    Massage
    Trigger Point Therapy

:-)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If it's injured then and ice pack (or bag of frozen peas) wrapped in a tea towel will help reduce the swelling, as will taking asprin or ibuprofen. If you are sure there is no serious damage and it's just stiff/sore from sitting at a desk or on a computer all day, then there is a really simple video on You Tube, which I often do when I get in from work to loosen it all up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5zJAM2Ekls&feature=related

Hope this helps.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    From what you've described, it could be a fractured vertabra. Lie on the floor and call 911. Don't move, you could end up paralyzed.
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Do gentle stretches.

1. Take 1 ear to your shoulder (gently) and hold for 10-15 seconds. Then hold your head up for 5 seconds. Then repeat with the other ear. Do that ~5 times.

2. Hold your head as straight up as possible. Turn your head over your right shoulder and hold for 10-15 seconds. Then look straight for 5 seconds. Then repeat on the left side. Do that ~5 times.

3. Lean your head to the right. Roll in a half circle to the front to your left shoulder, slowly. Then roll back. Repeat ~5 times. (Do not roll your head back!)

Advil is a good medicine (follow bottle instructions) for the pain. Alternate heat and ice, as birdlover suggested. Do the stretches after every heat treatment.

I had a pretty bad muscle spasm in my neck. These are the instructions that my doctor/pt had me follow once I was able to lift my head with my own strength. If it ever gets to where it is "stuck" on one side, call and make an appointment with your doctor. It means one or more of the tiny muscles around your neck are having spasms and it's better to let a professional help you get them to let go.

Good luck!
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Well it just started hurting last night, not sure if it's from sit ups? I tookj a muscle relaxer to help me sleep, then after I did my sit ups it hurt again.. Guess I need to stop sit ups.. But will try heat and ice, and an epsom salt bath sounds great!
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you're getting pain in your neck from sit ups, your head may not be getting the support it needs and/or you're straining your neck as you go up. Make sure you don't have any strain in your neck when you're doing sit ups/crunches. I'd advise stopping the sit ups until your neck is better, and possibly just doing crunches for a bit until you're sure you've got the form down.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Well it just started hurting last night, not sure if it's from sit ups? I tookj a muscle relaxer to help me sleep, then after I did my sit ups it hurt again.. Guess I need to stop sit ups.. But will try heat and ice, and an epsom salt bath sounds great!

You don't stop doing sit-ups...you need to do them properly. Your neck has no business moving or being strained doing sit-ups. Your abs do all the work...you shouldn't even touch your neck.

You need to focus on a spot on the ceiling, keep your neck long. The only thing that should move is your abs...
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    From what you've described, it could be a fractured vertabra. Lie on the floor and call 911. Don't move, you could end up paralyzed.

Seriously? I am not sure about that, I have scoliosis, but how would I get a fractured vertebre being a stay at home mom? All I do is general cleaning and caring for kids...
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Well not sure where I went wrong, I have been doing sit ups for quite some time, maybe I got distracted and messed up yesterday..
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options

You don't have to stop sit ups. It just sounds like you need to work on your form a little. Form is VERY important to work your muscles properly and also avoid injury. You neck should never be straining during a sit up.

To sit up properly, you NEVER want to put your chin to your chest. You should be looking at the ceiling and have your neck pretty much in alignment. You want to be lifting your shoulders up off the ground and NOT putting the strain on your neck.

To help with this, you should not put your hands behind your head when you do sit ups (as it is tempting to PULL your neck up, very bad).

They also have these rockers available (with head rests) to help you keep proper form when doing sit ups. I'm not sure how well they work since I do not own one.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    So you need to stop clasping your hands behind your head and tucking your chin on your chest. Just "touch" the sides of your temples with your finger tips and keep your chin pointed to the ceiling. You'll get a better workout and no neck strain.
    This is one of the most common injuries I see everyday.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Thanks for all your help, I will definately do what I can make this better and for sure will correct my sit ups..
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

Seriously? I am not sure about that, I have scoliosis, but how would I get a fractured vertebre being a stay at home mom? All I do is general cleaning and caring for kids...
    No. I was teasing you. Your initial post had no usable information to help. It could have been a Bic pen stuck in your neck, or a strained muscle. More information will get you better results when seeking help. Take some Motrin/Advil/Ibuprofen and don't strain your neck. Good luck!!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Ab rollers are great for reducing neck pain. I've got an old whiplash injury that made crunches impossible until I tried an ab roller at my gym. Everlast do a good one - I'm thinking of getting one for at home as they really do make your abs feel like they're getting a good workout.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I will have to check out ab rollers..