Eating at the office

peanut613
peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
I dont officially get a lunch break. Normally, I get coffee on my way to work in the morning. Around noon, I'll snack on some pretzels or crackers and have a diet Pepsi. Once in a while, I'll pack a small salad to eat at my desk.

Any suggestions for healthy, low calorie stuff to eat for lunch? I want something more substantial than a handful of pretzels or nuts.

Replies

• nwnightowl206
    nwnightowl206 Posts: 20 Member
    I take greek yogurt and fruit (often berries to put on the yogurt), and a cucumber salad most days
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    I pack lunch. A protein (usually either chicken breast or venison that I prep on Sunday) and a veggie. I might steam the veggie in the microwave at work, or eat raw, or have salad.

I also pack my breakfast and afternoon snack as well.

💚 venison lunchbox! That makes me so happy . :)

• MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    I also bring my lunch which is usually chicken and a baked potato or rice that I heat up in the microwave at the office. Actually sometimes I don’t even bother heating anything up just eat it cold. For breakfast I’ll have a slice of Dave’s killer Bread and I take a case of eggs whites from Costco to the office and heat up a cup in the microwave. When I need a snack rice cakes are my go to.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    I do working lunches most days at the office and just eat at my desk carefully. Some days I can heat up my whole lunch and other days I’m just eating a few snacks. Not sure if you have access to a microwave, but these are my go tos:
    -hard boiled eggs
    -cottage cheese
    -chicken and green beans (I cook the chicken in bulk and freeze with green beans and just nuke for a few min)
    -any leftovers from dinner that week - I will just reheat
    -cheese sticks
    -beef jerky
    -yogurt and fruit like the person above me suggested
    -egg bites (I make Starbucks copy cat ones)
    -meatballs (I make a ton in advance and freeze them and let them thAw on my desk and eat cold)
    -Lunch meat (usually ham or salami) with cream cheese rolled up
    -meal replacement shake (if I am desperate and didn’t plan, I have a shaker bottle in my desk and a tub of Idealshape that I will make a shake)

I also have a can of “emergency spaghettios” on hand for if I’m having the worst day ever and need to eat something that will make me feel better. Love those things!

Awesome suggestions! Thanks!
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    Packing lunch is the way to go! If you don't have a fridge or microwave at your work - there's plenty of affordable "room temp" foods you could look into. If you like tuna, canned tuna and a couple of those single serve mayo packets are a great, super high protein lunch. Usually I'll alternate between that and canned chicken breast, since the tuna taste gets old for me.
    If you can really hack fish taste a can of sardines is like the ultimate brain food - perfect for super long shifts or jobs where you need to stay focused.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    There is an endless list of options. i eat while i work (as i use my lunch break to walk):
    - boiled eggs, veggies, laughing cow cheese, home made protein bar
    - home made soup (you do need a microwave or good thermos) veggies, laughing cow cheese, home made protein bar
    - long list of quinoa or bean salads, veggies, home made protein bar

ect. ect. ect.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I eat light during lunch, but I'll usually have a frozen meal and a yogurt. Common options for me are pasta & broccoli and rice & tofu.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    edited April 2019
    I second the hard boiled eggs...fill you right up. Last night I tried my hand at making a lettuce wrap. I will let you know how it goes! I hope well, cuz I am STAHVIN!

https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-club-lettuce-wrap-sandwich/
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Tuna packets are awesome, because you can just grab a fork and eat them right out of the packet.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I pack breakfast, morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack. Today I have:
    greek yogurt with raspberries
    cheese
    deli meat
    bread (basically a deconstructed boring sandwich)
    black beans
    avocado
    canned peaches
    strawberries
    cream cheese
    mandarin

I usually also have celery. Sometimes I make a salad or real sandwich.
  • lightenuplori
    lightenuplori Posts: 17 Member
    This week, my husband grilled me some chicken breasts and I will make a big salad every morning to bring to work. I also love soups and sandwiches.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    On top of all the suggestions above, I would add lunchables with the meat, cheese, cracker tray. Add some sort of veggie on the side and those make a pretty good lunch.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    i make chicken breasts in the air fryer on sundays for my lunches for the week. all cut up and portioned, i just eat it at my desk
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    I meal prep one day/week and then take portioned-out containers of meals to work each day. Today I had beef with brown rice, mushrooms, green beans, & sunflower seeds; for a snack in a little bit I'll have tuna mixed with dried cranberries and walnuts and a little Babybel round of gouda.

The other meals I made yesterday were
    -shrimp, broccoli, and mushrooms in a spicy Thai peanut sauce over brown rice
    -baked chicken (seasoned of course!) with green beans and mushrooms and baked sweet potato with nut butter

I keep my meals for my workdays (I work 12-hour shifts) in a little insulated meal prep cooler in the passenger seat of my patrol car and just pack however many I need for the shift (normally 1 "real" meal + 1 snack for day shifts or 2 "real" meals + 1 snack for night shifts). I just eat whenever I can pull over into a parking lot in a safe area and shovel down a quick meal.
  • stefaniec09
    stefaniec09 Posts: 11 Member
    I normally bring a lunch that I pack from the night before's leftovers. But I also have some deli meat (ham normally), string cheese, yogurt, and edamame in my fridge and some of the tuna packs in my desk. I use those for a snack or lunch if I don't have time to grab something at home or I didn't cook the night before. I try to buy hummus every couple of weeks and if I bring salads I'll mix a couple table spoons in it for lunch. I keep fruit at work too.
  • amfmmama
    On top of all the suggestions above, I would add lunchables with the meat, cheese, cracker tray. Add some sort of veggie on the side and those make a pretty good lunch.

I stole the lunchable idea and make my own... it's cheaper!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama wrote: »
    I second the hard boiled eggs...fill you right up. Last night I tried my hand at making a lettuce wrap. I will let you know how it goes! I hope well, cuz I am STAHVIN!

https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-club-lettuce-wrap-sandwich/

Ok, so I am looking for a solution... it was pretty soggy... still tasty, but would have been better if it had not sat out over night.... still consider it a success!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I pack my lunch almost every day and have a few go tos I alternate between depending on how busy we are with the kids after school activities/how often I'm cooking dinner.
    -turkey sandwich and raw fruit or dry frosted mini wheats
    -tv dinners
    -left over meat and veggies from dinner the night before
    -we make chili a lot for dinner so leftover chili is a frequent for me