Over calories

Options
Hi I go over my calorie count for day every week once a week by 1000 or more calories for that day I crave. Is this going to put on weight I'm trying to maintain what I am

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    Look at your long term weight trend using a weight trend app or web site or your own spreadsheet and adjust based on how your weight level changes over time!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What does that 1000 cals do to your weekly calorie balance?

What is your plan for fitting in social events involving food, holidays, special occassions, days when you are simply more hungry?

Do you think it's sustainable for you to try and eat the same every day for the rest of your life?
    I know it's not remotely sustainable for me, my diet has to fit into my lifestyle or there will be constant conflict and that's no way for me to enjoy maintenance.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    It depends on your overall eating. If you eat under on some days, then the 1000 calories won't make much difference. If you eat at maintenance 6 days a week and over on 1 day, then you'll gain about a pound a month.

It also depends on how accurate you are in your logging. If you aren't counting everything, you may gain more than that. If you actually burn more calories than MFP says you need in maintenance, then you might not.
  • twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ive done this for a while in maintenance.
    Stayed under most days of the week so I can splurge on a day or two. You gain abit of water weight obviously but it’s helped me to not lose my mind and as long as I stay under 9st 5lbs I’m happy.
    Guess it just depends on the person really
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Yakker04 wrote: »
    I'm under rest of week

By how much? Is your daily deficit 250, 500, 1000 calories or something else?

Unless your deficit is very small you should still be in a deficit overall each week, you will just reduce it somewhat slowing your weight loss.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I'm under rest of week

Unless your deficit is very small you should still be in a deficit overall each week, you will just reduce it somewhat slowing your weight loss.

OP is trying to maintain, not lose weight. They should therefore not be in a deficit for the week.

OP, if you are hitting your maintenance calories on average each week, your weight should stay stable. Being under some days and over some days is fine as long as it averages out over the week and you get a healthy minimum number of calories each day. However, the scale may go up temporarily after days of eating more, due to water fluctuation and undigested food in your body.

If your weight doesn't stay stable yet your calories average out to your maintenance goal, then either your maintenance calorie goal is off, or something is off in your logging.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I'm under rest of week

OP is trying to maintain, not lose weight. They should therefore not be in a deficit for the week.

OP, if you are hitting your maintenance calories on average each week, your weight should stay stable. Being under some days and over some days is fine as long as it averages out over the week and you get a healthy minimum number of calories each day. However, the scale may go up temporarily after days of eating more, due to water fluctuation and undigested food in your body.

If your weight doesn't stay stable yet your calories average out to your maintenance goal, then either your maintenance calorie goal is off, or something is off in your logging.

Puffbratt was explaining that if you eat in a 200 calorie deficit 5 days a week, then going over maintenance by 1000 on day 6 won’t matter or cause weight gain.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    I'm under rest of week

Puffbratt was explaining that if you eat in a 200 calorie deficit 5 days a week, then going over maintenance by 1000 on day 6 won’t matter or cause weight gain.

The first sentence could be read that way. The second sentence, however, specifically refers to pace of weight loss and remaining in a deficit each week, which are not things OP wants to do.