Help!!!!!! Not eating enough calories

Options
marlonb1982
marlonb1982 Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hello all, so I've started my weight loss journey for about ill say a month now. I have some Keto standards I just dont want to eat that much fat so I guess its not a true Keto diet...I follow everything else though. The issue im having is for a 400 pound man it says im supposed to be eating around 2800-3000 calories. Well I dont see that as possible. I intermittent Fast from 8pm to 12pm next day so I average about 2 meals a day and im full but eating really healthy I guess coming in at about 1200 calories. A, is this ok to be only eating 1200 calories or B, get your calories up by {Insert Tip, Trick Here}

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    A) It's not OK. Bare minimum for a male is 1500.

B )The main reason for using IF is to help a person curtail their calories by limiting their eating window. You apparently don't need to do that, so perhaps reconsider. Fat is pretty important to keto. If you are limiting fat and carbs, all that leaves is protein & more protein. Maybe it's not for you. Is there a reason you don't just want to eat a regular balanced diet in the appropriate portions?

BTW, at such a high starting weight, you are one of the few who can support a higher calorie deficit initially. You probably don't have to worry about hitting the 2800 calories, but for now you could aim for 2000 or so and still meet the guideline of losing no more than 1% of your body weight/week. That will obviously change as your weight goes down. Always good to consult with your doctor if you haven't already.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting tends to be a good tool for those who find they need to fight off hunger and eat fewer calories. If you're having trouble eating enough calories, I'd ditch the intermittent fasting. Also eat more calorie dense foods to increase your calorie intake.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you actually need this so much as a different approach to your diet, but just in case:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • marlonb1982
    marlonb1982 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input, really appreciate it. I was told the fast by my doctor actually. I go see my nutritionist tomorrow so ill make sure to ask her what she thinks I should do....Thanks a lot for the list too!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello all, so I've started my weight loss journey for about ill say a month now. I have some Keto standards I just dont want to eat that much fat so I guess its not a true Keto diet...I follow everything else though. The issue im having is for a 400 pound man it says im supposed to be eating around 2800-3000 calories. Well I dont see that as possible. I intermittent Fast from 8pm to 12pm next day so I average about 2 meals a day and im full but eating really healthy I guess coming in at about 1200 calories. A, is this ok to be only eating 1200 calories or B, get your calories up by {Insert Tip, Trick Here}

is there a medical reason you have to do Keto if you dont like eating high fat?
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Guessing at around 1200 calories? I'm going out on a limb to suggest it's not as dire as that. I suspect you didn't get to be 400 lbs. because you weren't eating enough. I suspect your "around 1200" is probably closer to 2000 already, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to invest in a food scale and double-check.

Aside from that, if you don't think you're eating enough, stop doing the things that limit the eating. Fast an hour or 2 less or add a third meal.