What the ...? FDA says walnuts are illegal drugs?

Walnuts are illegal drugs and potato chips are heart healthy? From this report: http://www.lef.org/LEFCMS/aspx/PrintVersionMagic.aspx?CmsID=118509

Does anyone trust the FDA to advise what is healthy to eat anymore?

Replies

• Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    FDA bases their advice on money
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    ok, that's ridiculous...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    I think you need to re-read that article. They are not claiming walnuts to be drugs. They are calling out the manufacturer on their claims.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member

This is fact.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    FDA approves the HCG diet. That alone should be self explanatory.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    i knew i didnt like walnuts for a reason... lol

no, seriously though... thats crazy
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Wow that is insane, going to go throw out all the nuts and go stock up on heart healthy frito lay products... NOT!!!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    FDA approves the HCG diet. That alone should be self explanatory.

They do?? OMG. I'm going back to bed.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466

Which is exactly why Honey Nut Cheerios can put "Heart Healthy" and a nifty little AHA logo on their box.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    *SMH* Ahh gotta love it. :grumble:
  • Thank for the post! I read this article and this author is pretty upset with the FDA and it shows in what he writes, but in regard to Walnuts reducing heart disease the FDA are basically saying: There is not enough research to label their nuts with the claim the their nuts will decrease your risk of heart disease. If this guy is upset with the way in which the FDA makes it decisions to support or not support a product's claim to make people healthier than he should talk about that fact. Now I personally think that the FDA does NOT do the best job of protecting the public and do not nessesarily leave it up to the FDA weather or not I will use a product for me or my family. I do my own research. No where did I find Walnuts classified as a drug by the FDA- that is simply NOT true. Their is a published study about horses being injected with a black walnut extract that was being tested for cardiac disease treatment and possible effects on the heart.

This is all I could find on the FDA's website:

Based on FDA's reassessment of the scientific evidence subsequent to our initial July 14, 2003 qualified health claim enforcement discretion decision, the agency still concludes that there is not significant scientific agreement that the claim "Diets including walnuts can reduce the risk of heart disease" is supported by the totality of publicly available scientific evidence. Thus, FDA will consider exercising enforcement discretion for a qualified claim as presented below:

Supportive but not conclusive research shows that eating 1.5 ounces per day of walnuts, as part of a low saturated fat and low cholesterol diet and not resulting in increased caloric intake, may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. See nutrition information for fat [and calorie] content.
    In the above claim, use of the bracketed phrase "and calorie" is optional in that FDA does not intend for the presence or absence of such phrase to be a factor in whether it considers enforcement discretion for the use of the qualified health claim. FDA considered that this additional information might be beneficial to consumers to heighten their awareness of the caloric contribution from walnuts and encourages companies to include it in product labeling.

In FDA's July 14, 2003 letter to you, FDA included an additional qualified health claim statement that included "most nuts, such as walnuts"(6) as the subject of the claim. However, in reconsidering the basis for the exercise of our enforcement discretion, FDA has concluded that since walnuts, and not nuts in general, are the subject of the qualified health claim for which we have determined there is some credible supporting evidence, we are not including, as part of this enforcement discretion decision, this additional qualified health claim statement.
  • People, relax. They're not regulating walnuts, they're regulating the claims that the manufacturers can make about walnuts. You are still free to buy and eat all the walnuts you ever were, just as you are free to drink all the red wine in the world and eat antioxidant-rich foods until you live forever.

If you want to advertise your product as curing or preventing disease, you are held to a higher standard than if you're just selling a food product, which personally I think is a good thing. This dustup probably did more to get the word out about the possible health benefits of walnuts than all the crap they ever plastered across their packaging.