What to do between breakfast and lunch?????

Options
Hi

I work at a school with 3year old children. I start work at 8.45am which means i have my breakfast around 7am - i finish work at 1.15pm and i study for my degree in the afternoons after work. My problem is that i do not eat til i get home which is around 2.

I need advice as to what to eat between breakfast and lunch to keep me going - so that when i get home i am not starving for my lunch??

Any ideas??

Replies

• HappyLuna
    HappyLuna Posts: 112
    Options
    If I was having to go that long without eating I would take a cereal bar, small sandwich or pitta or some kind of salad to eat at 11ish. Also fruit and nuts are great to snack on too. You could eat a far bit here and then when you get home at 2pm have fruit and a yogurt? So its a bit like breaking your lunch up over the morning. Experiement a bit, but don't be afraid to eat a lot early on in the day. It actually helps :smile:

Maybe try and have a good breakfast. Eggs are great and helping you stay full. Also I love a small bowl of cereal in the afternoons to keep me going until dinner time :smile:

Hope that is helpful x

ETA: I work with 3 year olds too. Do you have a lot of fruit at your work you can munch on? I am always eating! Lol I have nuts, seeds, rice cakes, cereal bars, ( starting to make my own...so far not successful! :wink: ) even cartons of milk are great and helping me stay full (Sometimes I have a hot milky chocolate on my break. Its my little treat and it nice and filling too). The children have snack time so sometimes I go and sit with them and have my snack too xxx
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You have many options: low fat greek yougurt, plain low fat greek yougurt with a piece of fruit, piece of fruit with low fat string cheese, hard boiled egg with piece of fruit, can of protein shake ( I like the atkins ones, high in protein, low sugars), serving size of pretzels with 1 tbl spoon peanut butter for dipping, etc....
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i ususally bring a protien bar as a snack
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    i love 100-calorie almond packs, so convenient.. i snack on string cheese and carrots a lot, sometimes a granola or protein bar.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    There are LOTS of snacks you can have to keep in your purse. I love Nature Valley granola bars. They just came out with 90 calorie bars.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    do you have a fridge or somewhere you could keep a cold shake, or have access to milk? If so you could try like an Ensure or Glucerna shake or if you have access to a serving of milk, you could make a quick Carnation Instant Breakfast.
  • HappyLuna
    HappyLuna Posts: 112
    Options
    You have many options: low fat greek yougurt, plain low fat greek yougurt with a piece of fruit, piece of fruit with low fat string cheese, hard boiled egg with piece of fruit, can of protein shake ( I like the atkins ones, high in protein, low sugars), serving size of pretzels with 1 tbl spoon peanut butter for dipping, etc....

Loving your ideas! Never thought of protein shakes as a snack. Great idea :smile:
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    So many snacks you can take in your bag....Fiber bars, low fat cereal bars...fruit to go...60 or 80 cal cheese snack with some wheat thins crackers..apple, banana, grapes, veggie sticks, oatmeal to go, rice cakes....so amny options!!! But you really should def bring a snack, thats a long oeriod of time to go after breakfast without eating!
  • babycaykes80
    Options
    I like to keep beef jerky around. It requires no refrigeration and keeps me feeling full the longest! :happy:
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    A sale, any cooked meats, beef jerky, protein shake, cheese, fruit, veg sticks, boiled eggs, yogurt. Anything you would eat at home just prepare and eat cold.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about almonds or your favorite mixed nut/seed mix.
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    Lots of great stuff you can have!

At the start of your week place any of the following in snack bags for a quick, easy to grab, carry and store:
    * cut up your favorite veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, sugar snap peas, green beans)
    * nuts
    * low fat granola
    * fruit
    * half sandwiches (one slice bread with a lean protein)
    * sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.

The key is making it a habit, making it up for the week ahead of time...once you get in the habit, you'll never know what you did without it!

I also find if I have small, well balanced snacks throughout the day, I am not as hungry late at night!

Good Luck!
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit....at least that's what I have between breakfast and lunch - one piece of fruit every 2 hours
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    thanku everyone xx
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is apple slices with almond butter. I measure out 2 tablespoons of almond butter and just spread it on the slices. You could pack the apple, a knife, a measuring spoon and your almond butter.

Or pre-measure the almond butter into a small container.

That will give you 2 units of protein, 1 unit of a healthy carb, and will cost you about 250 calories, yet is very filling (for me). YUM!

God bless!