What to do with chicken skin crackling?

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
I needed boneless skinless chicken thighs for a recipe but my local supermarket only had thighs with skin and bones. The bones went into the stock pot and the skins were turned into crackling in the air fryer.

So how should I use the chicken skin crackling? I understand this is not really low calorie food. I imagine I could use it as crumbled instead of bacon on top of salads or soups. At a fancy restaurant I once got chicken butter where chicken skin crackling had been blitzed in a food processor to a powder and used to flavour the compound butter.

Any other ideas?

Replies

• leslietank
    leslietank Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could try cutting them into chips, but I never thought about reusing them. You had some good ideas... Normally I cook them for my dog as "fancy treats" lol
    https://www.ketoconnect.net/baked-chicken-skin/
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I needed boneless skinless chicken thighs for a recipe but my local supermarket only had thighs with skin and bones. The bones went into the stock pot and the skins were turned into crackling in the air fryer.

So how should I use the chicken skin crackling? I understand this is not really low calorie food. I imagine I could use it as crumbled instead of bacon on top of salads or soups. At a fancy restaurant I once got chicken butter where chicken skin crackling had been blitzed in a food processor to a powder and used to flavour the compound butter.

Any other ideas?

This may sound rather peculiar a suggestion, but I'd quite enjoyed chicken skin cracklings (aka pork rind chicken) with collard greens last Thanksgiving, which is similar to a tribal dish, I'd had in the islands, with a spinach vegetable like side dish.

My sister 777Gemma888 has asked I mention something you might be familiar with - braided British cracklings, served with beer or as an appetiser for some? Gemma is advising, that IF you're to ever consider my suggestion, make America's creamed spinach or collard greens, only add the cracklings as a dry condiment, like you would crispy bacon.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    They're good on top of khao man gai.
  • acpgee
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    They're good on top of khao man gai.

I've never tried the Thai version but ate a lot of the Singaporean version of chicken rice when I was there for a grad school research project many years ago.

https://roadsandkingdoms.com/2013/for-the-love-of-chicken-rice/
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    what you've got there is gribenes, a Jewish speciality. I love it mixed with caramelised onions and scattered over greens, salads etc
  • acpgee
    Options
    Actually I realise that on vacation in Vietnam they served deep fried lard as a topping for noodles.eo88e6hll4ho.jpeg