Shoes that fit orthotic insoles and don't look horrible (UK)

Options
SRH7
SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
I've just found out I need to have some orthotic insoles (after years of knee pain) and have a sense of dread as I hate the thought of wearing ugly shoes!

I'm a young 30-something... does anyone know of any companies that do shoes that fit orthotics but don't look like they are for 80-year-olds or lentil-munching vegans!

I particarly need some for work (I'm a senior manager working in PR, so need to look trendy!).

I live in the UK, so only shoes that I can get here or online please.

Help!

Replies

• jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    New Balance makes shoes with wide toe boxes--mostly sneaker type shoes, though. Do you have any Arch Fitters or companies like that? Might be able to find some online...good luck.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    The SuperFeet brand makes insoles that can be used in dress shoes as well as shoes for recreation. You should be able to wear whatever style shoe you like, and adjust the insoles to fit them.
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sadly there really aren't any good looking shoes for inserts. I have to wear them too. I used to wear hightop converse with them, because I could get them nice and snug, plus there is no padding in them that'll raise the inserts even more. You might want to look for a store (not a dr sholl's thing) that has a pad you step on and they show you the type of shoes they have that'll help the shape of your feet. Also anything with a large bottom...the more rubber under neithe the better. It'll give you more coushion from impact when you step. BTW I'm 21 and have had to wear these since I was 15.
  • ReneeBG1
    ReneeBG1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really like Earth shoes! They are a little pricey, but they have the added benefit of burning more calories as you walk! AND you can always find them online & on sale! :) Not all of them are "cute" in my opinion, but they do have some casual cute modals. I especially like the Mary Janes. I might add that I wore my pair all the way through my last pregnancy & always had comfortable feet and firm calves! :) HTH!
  • SRH7
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I live in my Converse hi-tops out of work, so I'm happy that they will fit those. And I might just have to get a second set of orthotics for dress shoes for work - will ask my podiatrist if I will be able to get my legs back into alignment while still wearing heels ;)

Failing that, looks like it's flat Mary Jane's here I come! (so not me!) I guess it will be the price I have to pay to not be in pain and be able to climb mountains over 3,000ft again.
  • BBBgettingfit
    BBBgettingfit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing orthodics for years, and it's hard to make them work with dress shoes (I have generally given up on wearing them with any dress shoes). However, I found a few really cute pairs of Clarks brand dressy flats on Zappos.com a few years ago that are my go-to work shoe now. Clarks are either too boxy are super-amazing, but sometimes all that's available are the super-boxy ones. I also have to buy 1/2 size larger in Clarks than my normal size to accommodate the orthodics... Boots are a great choice generally for orthodics since you just go 1/2 a size bigger, pull out the liner on the inside of the shoe, and slip in the inserts. Works for boots with heels, too, as long as you stay below 2 inches!
  • everyoung
    everyoung Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    "WalkFit Orthotic Insoles", only cost $3 or $5 a pair at AMAZON.COM .
  • SRH7
    Options
    Oooh, didn't think of Clarks. Being in the UK practically every high street has a store. Think I'll go when it's fairly quiet and take my orthotics with me so I can the shoes on with them. And the idea of buying boots is a good one. I love knee-highs (with heels, of course!) but will have to have a look for some flat ones that don't look like wellies!

Thanks for those advising where to get orthotics - I'm getting some specially made as the issue has been there for 23 years and my feet need some serious sorting out!