DOMS and Weight Gain?

Options
Hi Everyone,
I just started getting back into using weights in my workouts including free weights and also the weight machines. My question is this: I know that after starting a new weight lifting regimen that you retain water, but how many pounds average is normal to gain during DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)? I want to know so I don't get upset when I see the scale move up some while weight training. Thanks!
Teresa :bigsmile:

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I thought "DOMS" meant something else.

As such, I do not know the answer to your question, but will make a wild guess of 2lbs and be on my way. One of the clever posters will be along shortly to help.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I thought you were going to tell us how your DOM caused your weight gain....I was actually quite curious.....
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

Lol thought the same thing...
  • brittanydaniel79
    Options

As such, I do not know the answer to your question, but will make a wild guess of 2lbs and be on my way. One of the clever posters will be along shortly to help.

haha me too!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    between zero and 5 lbs is what I read most often. Some folks gain more than that.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So is DOM the new kid on the block then? A welcome reprieve from the other guy! ;-)
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think your looking at this the wrong way and depends where you are in your maintenance program. If you are at your ideal weight now and are just incorporating weight training then yes over time you will see a slight weight gain. However if you are still moving toward a goal weight i would not concern myself with any aspect of a weight gain right now, because if you are doing what you are suppose to and adding weight training you will still be losing weight.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It won't be very significant. Looking at your picture I would guess 1-2 pounds. DOMS gets nasty in conjunction with dehydration, so if you drink plenty of water when you work out, you will be far more efficient at moving lactic acid away from your muscles and DOMS and subsequent water retention will be reduced. If you wait till you feel thirsty it is already too late. Don't forget to hydrate before and after you work out too.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I think your looking at this the wrong way and depends where you are in your maintenance program. If you are at your ideal weight now and are just incorporating weight training then yes over time you will see a slight weight gain. However if you are still moving toward a goal weight i would not concern myself with any aspect of a weight gain right now, because if you are doing what you are suppose to and adding weight training you will still be losing weight.

^ in my view this is kinda correct. You will still be losing weight, it just might stall up for a week or two while your muscles get used to the new routine.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    The amount each individual will gain is just that... individual. It depends on how hard you're pushing yourself, where you're starting from, and other factors. The new weight, from glycogen storage in your muscles, will not "go away" unless you stop lifting for a period of time, so it's just a new part of your body.

If you want a personal example, I just measured and like to brag a little. :bigsmile: In the last month I "only" lost 2 lbs. However, I also gained almost 2 lbs of lean body mass (mostly in the form of glycogen, most likely); which means, even though the scale didn't show it, I lost 4 lbs of fat. 1 lb per week, very acceptable.

Moral - Don't worry about weight for a month or two. Just eat a healthy number of calories from good foods and keep lifting.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    wow. my mind was completely somewhere else........