Need to replace eggs.

Options
2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/healthy-eating/food-and-nutrition/protein-foods/eggs
    You can eat up to six or seven eggs each week. That's one egg a day or two to three egg-filled meals a week.

http://www.unlockfood.ca/en/articles/heart-health/understanding-eggs-and-cholesterol-how-many-eggs.aspx
    How many eggs can you eat in a day?

One egg contains about 186 mg of cholesterol, which is found mostly in the yolk. As with most foods, eggs should be eaten in moderation. Eggs can be a healthy food choice when you limit other foods with saturated and trans fat. A healthy person without high blood cholesterol, diabetes or a history of heart disease can eat an average of one whole egg per day. This does not increase your risk for cardiovascular disease. If you have high blood cholesterol, diabetes or heart disease, you should limit your intake of whole eggs to two or less per week. This will help prevent cardiovascular disease. Limit your consumption of eggs along with other foods high in cholesterol, saturated and trans fat.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323001.php
    Eating between one and three eggs per day can have several health benefits, but this varies from person-to-person. At this level of consumption, people can expect minimal changes in their cholesterol levels.

It is unclear whether there is an upper limit on how many eggs a person can eat per day. More research in this area is needed to provide clarity.

But when people have no health issues causing concern, they can eat eggs in moderate quantities, and they are unlikely to have any effects on cholesterol levels.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My sister has had 2 eggs for breakfast *every* day for 15 years and her cholesterol numbers are perfect.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/healthy-eating/food-and-nutrition/protein-foods/eggs
    You can eat up to six or seven eggs each week. That's one egg a day or two to three egg-filled meals a week.

http://www.unlockfood.ca/en/articles/heart-health/understanding-eggs-and-cholesterol-how-many-eggs.aspx

One egg contains about 186 mg of cholesterol, which is found mostly in the yolk. As with most foods, eggs should be eaten in moderation. Eggs can be a healthy food choice when you limit other foods with saturated and trans fat. A healthy person without high blood cholesterol, diabetes or a history of heart disease can eat an average of one whole egg per day. This does not increase your risk for cardiovascular disease. If you have high blood cholesterol, diabetes or heart disease, you should limit your intake of whole eggs to two or less per week. This will help prevent cardiovascular disease. Limit your consumption of eggs along with other foods high in cholesterol, saturated and trans fat.

Eating between one and three eggs per day can have several health benefits, but this varies from person-to-person. At this level of consumption, people can expect minimal changes in their cholesterol levels.

It is unclear whether there is an upper limit on how many eggs a person can eat per day. More research in this area is needed to provide clarity.

But when people have no health issues causing concern, they can eat eggs in moderate quantities, and they are unlikely to have any effects on cholesterol levels.

Thank you for these articles. Did you look at the link I posted? This study was just released last week.

“Conclusions and Relevance Among US adults, higher consumption of dietary cholesterol or eggs was significantly associated with higher risk of incident CVD and all-cause mortality in a dose-response manner. These results should be considered in the development of dietary guidelines and updates.”

To clarify, I WANT the study to be flawed because I had been eating 5-6 eggs/week and don’t want to stop.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I have eaten anything between 3-6 eggs per day for long periods of time and my blood tests always show cholesterol as being better than good. As in off the chart - outside the "recommended" levels both for good and bad cholesterol.

I go through egg-craving phases where I eat eggs non stop. Then I get over it and will lay off the eggs for a month or so until I feel like I need them again.

But generally speaking, I still average 2-3 eggs per day.

I only do the stop eggs for a little bit thing if I've been on a 6 eggs a day type phase for a while.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Thank you for these articles. Did you look at the link I posted? This study was just released last week.

“Conclusions and Relevance Among US adults, higher consumption of dietary cholesterol or eggs was significantly associated with higher risk of incident CVD and all-cause mortality in a dose-response manner. These results should be considered in the development of dietary guidelines and updates.”

To clarify, I WANT the study to be flawed because I had been eating 5-6 eggs/week and don’t want to stop.

I want to read the whole study, and plan to when I find access to it.

I have seen a number of other studies with different conclusions, however, and that this one is newer doesn't mean that it's right, all the ones with different conclusions are wrong, or that there's no explanation other than actual causation (I think like most food studies it's about correlation). Thus, I'm not making any major changes based on it, especially since my own cholesterol doesn't seem to get worse based on egg consumption.

It might cause me to cut down on eggs some (I'm eating plant-based currently, but normally eat eggs at breakfast, so about a dozen a week), but certainly not to decide that more than 3/week will have some dramatic effect.

Tofu scrambles with veg are pretty good, however.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Tofu scramble, tons of recipes online.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I have eaten anything between 3-6 eggs per day for long periods of time and my blood tests always show cholesterol as being better than good. As in off the chart - outside the "recommended" levels both for good and bad cholesterol.

I go through egg-craving phases where I eat eggs non stop. Then I get over it and will lay off the eggs for a month or so until I feel like I need them again.

But generally speaking, I still average 2-3 eggs per day.

I only do the stop eggs for a little bit thing if I've been on a 6 eggs a day type phase for a while.

I’ve never had issues with my cholesterol, either. My doctor wrote an order 4 months ago for me to get a fasting blood test (😳), so I should probably do it ASAP and go from there.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I want to read the whole study, and plan to when I find access to it.

I have seen a number of other studies with different conclusions, however, and that this one is newer doesn't mean that it's right, all the ones with different conclusions are wrong, or that there's no explanation other than actual causation (I think like most food studies it's about correlation). Thus, I'm not making any major changes based on it, especially since my own cholesterol doesn't seem to get worse based on egg consumption.

It might cause me to cut down on eggs some (I'm eating plant-based currently, but normally eat eggs at breakfast, so about a dozen a week), but certainly not to decide that more than 3/week will have some dramatic effect.

Tofu scrambles with veg are pretty good, however.

This was the first time in a long while that I had heard anything about limiting eggs due to concerns about cholesterol. I remember when “they” said the yolk was unhealthy, then it wasn’t, blah blah blah. JAMA goes to great lengths to verify/confirm the studies it publishes, and they receive A LOT of them. That’s why when I hear about something being published there, I take it seriously.

I just want my eggs! 😆
  • FatherMischief
    FatherMischief Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I need to replace eggs for breakfast. I need something with protein, low sodium, low fat, and no cholesterol. What do you use? The question is why you need to replace eggs. I'm guessing from your requirements that it's the cholesterol.

For my cholesterol. It is stupid high so I need to keep the cholesterol down as far as I can. Right now I have been using regular eggs because the price of the cholesterol-free eggs is crazy high. I hoped to find something, doesn't have to be breakfasty, to have for the first meal of the day. My body naturally creates crazy amounts. Done the doctor thing and what have you, but my thinking is the less cholesterol I take in the better I will be.