New Ideas For salad

Options
olyjok
olyjok Posts: 133 Member
Ok, I love food and I also like salads. I would like some wild Ideas for a great salad. Im really need some change. The salad is getting blah!:sick: I am also looking for some homemade dressing to go along with the salad. Anykind of salad will work.. I really will eat anything tha is good for the weight loss.:bigsmile:

Thanks Josh

Replies

• olyjok
    Options
    Ok, I love food and I also like salads. I would like some wild Ideas for a great salad. Im really need some change. The salad is getting blah!:sick: I am also looking for some homemade dressing to go along with the salad. Anykind of salad will work.. I really will eat anything tha is good for the weight loss.:bigsmile:

Thanks Josh
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    when i make a salad i use the normal veggies but i also add cauliflower, olives and jalopeano (not spelled right) but they give it a bite..as far as salad dressing kraft has a low fat 3 chesse dressing that is wonderful...I will also add take a small handful of frozen peas defrost them in hot water for a few minutes and toss them on my salad...I could live on salad but I would really enjoy if someone made it for me ..seems to taste better:laugh:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    one kind of dressing that my family always made back home was plain yogurt, a few table spoons of miracle whip, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper.

salad ideas:

cut up hardboiled eggs
    tuna (or salmon, or any other fish you like)
    raisins
    southwestern salad (corn, black beans, olives, sweet peppers, chicken)
    manadarin orange segments, rice noodles, and chicken
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Ok, don't turn up your nose on this before trying it, because it really is good and it saves so many calories. when I make a salad I put on some salt and sweet n Low for my dressing. I used to add just a smidge of vinegar as well. but, when i'm at a restaurant, it is hard to get vinegar. I have been using this as my dressing for about 18 years. those who I can get to try it really like it too. you just add the Sweet n Low (usually 2 packets for 1 Subway salad) and salt to your taste. Give it a try. I have such low blood pressure that the salt isn't a bad thing for me, so adjust the salt as needed.
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I add raw cabbage, and so many other veggies that I can hardly see the lettuce. I gave up on the dressing a long time ago..now I use lemon-pepper (found in the dry spice section)....it gives my salad a zing without the calories. I also sprinkle some fresh lemon over the salad.
  • olyjok
    Options
    MMM all sounds yummy:drinker:
  • Pocketangel
    Options
    I kinda of imitate the Marthas Vineyard salad from Arbys. It has the usual veggies but also has cranberrys, and apples and almonds. I used the sugar free Rasberry Vinergerette dressing over it.
  • timeforchange
    Options
    Hey! I'm a hardcore salad lover and I must say I make an awesome salad dressing (but I stole it off a cooking show ::laugh:

3 tbls lemon juice
    1 1/2 tsp of dijon mustard
    1 shallot diced as small as possible
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tsp of lemon zest (optional)
    wisk in 1/3 a cup of olive oil

this makes about 2/3 a cup of dressing - i leave it in the fridge and it lasts me a few days :)
    Enjoy!
  • olyjok
    Options
    That has to be low in the Cals? How many cals in the olive oil?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I like adding sunflower seeds and blueberries to my salad. A nice mix of sweet & salty. :smile:
  • timeforchange
    Options
    well if you make the full batch of dressing with the 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil, there is about 650 cal of olive oil.. BUT that batch lasts me about 5 salads, which means it's about 130 cals of olive oil per salad. for me it's okay b/c i don't tend to put a lot in my salads so I have room for the cals.
    if you try the recipe, take it easy on the dijon mustard until you know how much you like.. the first time i made it, it was a little too strong for me so i cut the amount of mustard in half the next time!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I like frozen peas (thawed of course) and shelled edamame in my salad. sprinkle a few sunflower seeds on too.
    I use Kraft low fat Raspberry Vinagrette dressing but only a tblsp.
  • mehapp
    mehapp Posts: 132
    Options
    I love salads!
    My favorite is a base of lettuce (or spinach) with raw broccoli, peas, or green beans. Add a can of tuna and eat with blue cheese dressing (or low-fat ranch) Delicious!

I also love salads that add fruit. Peanuts and Pears, or Strawberries and almonds are delicious combinations. Serve these with a raspberry vinaigrette. Awesome!

If you're nervous about the amount of salad dressing, here's a tip.

Measure out the amount of dressing on the side. Before spearing a bite of salad, dip the tines of the fork into the dressing, and usually you have just enough to flavor the bite but not go overboard.

Most times, I end up with dressing left over.

Happy Eating!
    ~ME
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    There's this new dressing I had at my dad's, it's low fat - Northern Italian with basil and romano. WOW! I'm buying it today! h aha
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I love salads!
    My favorite is a base of lettuce (or spinach) with raw broccoli, peas, or green beans. Add a can of tuna and eat with blue cheese dressing (or low-fat ranch) Delicious!

I also love salads that add fruit. Peanuts and Pears, or Strawberries and almonds are delicious combinations. Serve these with a raspberry vinaigrette. Awesome!

If you're nervous about the amount of salad dressing, here's a tip.

Measure out the amount of dressing on the side. Before spearing a bite of salad, dip the tines of the fork into the dressing, and usually you have just enough to flavor the bite but not go overboard.

Most times, I end up with dressing left over.

Happy Eating!
    ~ME

I agree with the fruit and nuts! yum!
  • nicholecj
    Options
    Mmm! all sounds good
  • mart5fam
    Options
    Kraft has a wonderful sundried tomato salad dressing. It is not a low cal dressing but the calories are that of a low cal dressing. So you get the benefit of a great taste of a full fat dressing but the calories of a low cal dressing. I usually add mandarin oranges and red onion with various veggies to spinach or romain lettuce. Add this dressing and it is great.:happy:
  • LeeAnn11
    Options
    What is also good is cut up beets. I boil them for 45 mins with skin on then immediately to cold water. The skin just peels away. I cut them up in sections, throw them into the microwave for 20 seconds then straight onto a spinach salad and a low fat thai dressing, it is really good!
  • olyjok
    Options
    How about any fruit salad recipes :tongue:
  • timeforchange
    Options
    ooh that's easy.
    use whatever fruits you like.. but as a dressing use low fat/fat free plain yogurt and honey :tongue: