4.5 lbs per month?

Options
Hey All !! I have another 20 lbs to lose. the last 20. Is losing 4.5 lbs per month a healthy enough target?

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    yes...but don't be discouraged if it comes off a little slower than that.
  • SDMHudson
    SDMHudson Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound too bad, it is recommended that a healthy weight loss goal is 1-2 pounds a week. So you could, in theory, lose 4-8 pounds in a month.

Good luck!!!
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    absolutely!!! As much as we'd all love to lost 10 pounds per month, that is just not ideal. I think 1 pound/week is wonderful. I've resigned to that for myself and I must admit it seems more doable than 2 pounds/week. And I don't get as frustrated!
  • StaticCat
    Options
    The official helthy maximum loss should be 8lbs per month (2lbs each week)... But, frankly, it may vary for each persons on earth.
  • shannonrmoore1
    Options
    If you can do the 4.5 I think that's perfect....the last 10-20 are the hardest to lose!! My first 40 just flew off...now I've been stuck on the last 15-20 for like a year. I don't gain, but I'm not losing, that's why I joined MFP!! Good luck!

10542234.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hey All !! I have another 20 lbs to lose. the last 20. Is losing 4.5 lbs per month a healthy enough target?

When you get to your last 10-15 you should expect no more than 0.5lbs/week. maybe 1 lb for the first 5, then change to 0.5 for the last 15. this will limit the amount of muscle you lose as you lose fat, and help you prepare from maintenance.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!! Healthy loss is 1-2 pounds a week. I typically lose 2 pounds a week, and a few times over the last two months I've lost 3 pounds a week.

Just realize that sometimes the scale won't go down as dramatically as you like. This is ESPECIALLY true if you are working out. As you loose fat, you will also gain muscle. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh the same on the scale. So don't rely ONLY on the scale to track your progress. Get your measurements and fat percentage taken once a month.

I was 220 pounds on June 20th. Now I am at 201!

So yes, it can be done safely.

Also remember though, that everyone's body is different. So don't compare YOUR success to someone else, and then feel discouraged because they are progressing faster than you. That's a great way to set yourself up for a mental failure!!

Good luck!

God bless!