Tamales minus the lard?

Options
ZeroTX
ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
Any authetic Mexican cooks here? I have decided I want to learn to make tamales, which is a traditional Mexican dish. The filling is easy, as it can be virtually any meat (or veggie or even fruit), but the masa (corn dough) is what really makes the tamal, and the ingredient that holds it all together and gives it flavor is LARD. I've seen recipes with shortening, but frankly I'd rather use lard. Shortening is trans fat hell. What I'd like to do is use neither, but replace it with something that will hold the masa together. Flavor can come from meat broth or something else, but there does have to be something to help with the consistency of the masa.

Any suggestions? Anyone tried any specific recipes?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Just try veggie oil and use broth or flavor cubes for flavour. it is all trial and error.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I will be watching this thread....
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you'll likely lose the texture and flavor. Let everyone know how it goes though.

Good grief, I love tamales. My mother-in-law mixes the drippings from the roast pork, along with whole cumin seeds, to the masa. incredible. My favorite fillings: pork in red chile and jack cheese with jalapeno slices. Damn! Craving!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    OMG! Are Tamales made with lard?!?!?!?!?
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just read this blog yesterday and it had an interesting tamale recipe with a twist:
    http://www.eatliverun.com/in-a-hurry-tamale-pie/
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Try creamed corn :) lol i really have no idea but the other night i made corn bread for my pops and only used creamed corn for the wet ingridients and I almost couldn't put it down the cornbread was so yummy and moiste. Of course I had to and only tried them :)
  • nkrueger1
    nkrueger1 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    check out this website...www.eatbetteramerica.com...they have tons of recipes maybe they have one for a healthy tamale...good luck on your quest...
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You know those really tasty refried beans you love so much too? Oh yeah, laced with tasty lard.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Yes. Yes, although often shortening is substituted... that's worse.
  • nkrueger1
    Options
    These sound good..and only 207 calories per serving

Ingredients
    Filling
    2 pounds pork tenderloin
    3 cups water
    1 teaspoon canola oil
    1 medium onion
    1 medium bell pepper
    3 garlic cloves
    1 plum tomato
    1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried chili peppers, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup tomato paste

Dough
    4 cups masa corn flour
    4 teaspoons canola oil
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 cups pork broth (reserved from cooking the pork)
    18 to 20 dried corn husks

Instructions
    1. Prepare the pork by placing it in pot and adding enough water to cover the meat. Bring it to boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the meat is tender.
    2. When the meat is done, remove it from the broth and set aside on a plate to cool. Reserve the broth. When the pork is cool enough to handle, shred it with two forks adding enough broth to keep it moist.
    3. Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion, garlic and peppers until tender. Add the tomato, cumin, chili peppers and salt. Add tomato paste and 1/2 cup of the broth and simmer for about 15 minutes.
    4. Puree the sauce in a food processor and then return to the pan. Add the pork and heat through.
    5. Soak the corn husks in a large bowl of hot water for about 15 to 20 minutes turning occasionally until they are pliable.
    6. Prepare the masa dough by combining all ingredients and mixing together until mixture clumps together, adding more broth if necessary. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly 4 to 5 times. Divide into 16 small balls.
    7. Drain and rinse the corn husks. Pat dry and keep covered with a damp towel. Tear two or three corn husks into 1/4 inch strips to use for ties.
    8. Assemble the tamales by flattening a corn husk on your worktable. Spread one ball of dough over the husk leaving a 1-inch margin on all sides. Add about 2 tablespoons of filling to the center. Roll up lengthwise into a cylinder and wrap with the corn husk. Secure the ends by tying with a strip of husk. Repeat with remaining dough, filling, and husks.
    9. Place prepared tamales in a steamer basket and set over 1 inch of boiling water. Cover tightly, reduce heat and steam for about 30-45 minutes. Check frequently and replenish water if needed.

Serves: 16

Nutrition Content (per serving)
    207 calories, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 24 g carbohydrates, 1 g sugars, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein, 143 mg sodium
  • nkrueger1
    Options
    Here's one for Chicken from WW

Chicken and Red Chili Tamales

1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 small onion, peeled and left whole
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 dried ancho chili, stemmed and seeded
    1 cup water
    1 plum tomato, chopped
    1 tablespoon raisins
    1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 whole cloves

About 20 dried corn husks

3/4 cup masa harina
    1 tablespoon vegetable shortening

To prepare the filling: combine the chicken, the whole onion, one of the garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and enough water to barely cover the chicken in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Discard the onion. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate. Reserve the broth and set aside. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, thinly slice or shred, moisten with a little of the reserved broth and set aside.

Heat a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the chopped onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining garlic cloves and the chili; cook until the garlic is golden and the chili is toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the water, tomato, raisins, almonds, cinnamon, cloves and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 15 minutes. Discard the cloves.

Puree the mixture in batches in a food processor or blender; return to the saucepan and add the chicken. Simmer over medium heat until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.

Combine the corn husks and enough hot water to cover in a large bowl. Soak, turning occasionally, until pliable, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, to prepare the masa dough, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the masa harina, shortening and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt until mixture comes together. Add 3/4 of the reserved broth; beat on low speed until light and spongy, about 5 minutes. Cover and refrigerate the dough about 20 minutes.

Drain and rinse the corn husks; keep covered with a damp towel. Cut 2 or 3 of the husks lengthwise into 16 (1/4-inch wide) strips, set aside.

Flatten a corn husk on a work surface; spread 2 tablespoons dough over the husk, leaving a 3/4-inch margin on all sides. Spoon 11/2 tablespoons filling on top of the dough. Roll up lengthwise into a cylinder; secure each end by tying with a strip of husk. Repeat with the remaining husks, dough and filling, making a total of 16 tamales.

Place tamales in a steamer basket; set in a saucepan over 1 inch of boiling water. Cover tightly; reduce the heat to low and steam until very hot, about 45 minutes.

Makes 8 servings.

Nutrition information per serving (2 tamales): 120 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    never heard of tamales without lard, I will be checking this out
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You know those really tasty refried beans you love so much too? Oh yeah, laced with tasty lard.

LOVE this!! All good tasty mexican food is made with some kind of fat!!
  • acoleman3
    Options
    I'm soooo making these tonight!