Meal planning... with kids!!!

Options
I need to start meal planning and have a picky family.... HELP!!!

I had a newborn baby 7 weeks ago and since I am breastfeeding, I don't have a whole lot of time for myself anymore. I am thinking about taking the day on Saturday or Sunday to meal prep for the following week. I make so many crock pot meals which definitely makes my life easier.

I need GOOD meals that are healthy, filling and 6 year old picky daughter and super skinny hubby whos also picky approved!!!!

I am hoping to start this week but I MIGHT do it Mondays while my 6 year old is at school. Unsure yet.

point is, I need some good meal ideas. I need quick, easy and picky kid approvved meals.

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Picky eaters are tough. Start with what they do like, and maybe in time you can expand from there. Good idea making food ahead, and using your crock pot.

Quick easy and healthy- throw some teriyaki sauce on skinless thighs or breasts, slap them in the oven for 45 mins at 350*. Roasted broccoli, cauliflower or carrots- drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. In same Oven for 30 minutes and they are perfect. Maybe one day they will like Brussels sprouts prepared the same way! Sooo good.

Congratulations on your new little one!
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I menu plan with a family that has different food preferences/food intolerance's/IBS etc. I sit down with the weekly ads (online), and my calendar, and just tackle one day at a time. There's a learning curve but it does get easier after you do it a few times.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    You need to share what your picky eaters DO enjoy eating then people can help.

My go to easy dinners are: tacos (one kid uses black beans instead of meat at my house and I make a simple cheese quesadilla to go with), roast in the crockpot, chili (one kid eats most of the meat from it the other the beans), hamburgers and hotdogs.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    check out skinnytaste - she has kid-friendly meals for prepping
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My dd likes minestrone, macaroni and cheese, hamburgers, roasted potato slices, baked potao, mashed potato, creamed spinach, most pasta dishes, pasta with pesto or Alfredo sauce, stir fries, chicken noodle soup or beef noodle soup, tacos, burritos, chili, fassolatha soup, meatloaf, meatballs, beans and rice, gyros, grilled cheese sandwiches, pigs in a blanket, bbq meat sandwiches, pizza crescent rolls, black bean empanadas, eggs, pancakes, French toast, waffles, most fruit, yogurt, some oatmeal, corn on the cob, manicotti, lasagna, chicken and dumplings, fajitas, chicken and spinach taquitos, fairly plain baked or grilled chicken, ham, roast beef, pork chops, turkey, lentil soup, falafel, broccoli cheddar rice casserole, black bean potato nachos, tator tot casserole, shepherd's pie, pizza, beef stew, sloppy joes, corn dogs, chicken nuggets, egg rolls, egg drop soup. Maybe that will give you some ideas to try.

My dh likes most foods except white sauces and a ton of pasta.

I have found recipes my family liked on budget bytes and skinnytaste.
    https://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/2005/01/table-of-contents-year-of-slow-cooking.html