New Here!!👋🏽

Options
mzphine
mzphine Posts: 10 Member
Hello everyone, does anyone have any advice on the Keto Diet I’m on day #2!

Replies

• BadBanditCA
    BadBanditCA Posts: 100 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations. Have you watched The Magic Pill on Netflix? Highly recommend.
    Obviously you want to track your macros until you get a better understanding of how much fat, pritein and carbs you need daily. Of course that’s probably why you’re here! 😉
    Get yourself some urinalysis strips from Amazon or something. They will indicate when you are in ketosis and at what level. Great feedback!
    Do you have meal options and recipes? Make yourself some fat bombs! Yum. Let me know if you want any recipes.
    Good success!
  • Stacimfit
    Stacimfit Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi!! Nice to meet you.

I did keto last summer for about 3 months and took a break for a couple months and went back to it again and now my whole body feels changed and not in the best way. I gained back 20 of the 30 lbs lost. It took awhile, since I was able to watch my food for some time after stopping keto but I couldn't help going back to my old habits like ice cream, and junk snacks. I now have insomnia and never had it before in my life and I never fully came out of the fog that was supposed to pass.

It was very exciting in the beginning and I tried everything from weening myself on slowly, I tried cold turkey the second time. Got in ketoais real quick that time. I won't say it's the complete reason I'm having sleep troubles or feel foggy but I'm pretty sure it did do something to me. I'm just nervous to try it again. I would rather count calories and live on glucose that I lived on for the past 29 years and watch my portions

It was super exciting to me in the beginning and I researched everything but maybe my willpower sucked but definitely take your supplements if your going to stick to such a restrictive diet. That helped. Also I bought that zero Powerade and Gatorade and that helped. Lots of nuts for snacks and I always felt full throughout the day. For dinner I would try keto meals. Good luck!!
  • Stacimfit
    Stacimfit Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations. Have you watched The Magic Pill on Netflix? Highly recommend.
    Obviously you want to track your macros until you get a better understanding of how much fat, pritein and carbs you need daily. Of course that’s probably why you’re here! 😉
    Get yourself some urinalysis strips from Amazon or something. They will indicate when you are in ketosis and at what level. Great feedback!
    Do you have meal options and recipes? Make yourself some fat bombs! Yum. Let me know if you want any recipes.
    Good success!

Great advice!! 👍👍 I did all that too.
  • bvbblegvms
    bvbblegvms Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend you carry around some keto friendly snacks with you, especially for the first couple of days. I probably would have caved if I didn't have my snacks around me during that time.
  • mzphine
    Options
    Thank you so far I’m just craving sugar I’m going through coffee withdrawals
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    mzphine wrote: »
    Thank you so far I’m just craving sugar I’m going through coffee withdrawals

I drink Fat Coffee! Black coffee with 1 tbsp of coconut oil. I also add colostrum to mine, but that’s unrelated to Keto 😉. Or you can try good grass fed butter instead of coconut oil. Both are delicious. And there are many Keto-friendly sweeteners available now.
    Fat bombs majorly help my sweet cravings. Try this link. If it doesn’t work, let me know.

https://www.carbmanager.com/recipe/keto-blueberry-coconut-fat-bombs

These things are awesome and fill you while satisfying your need for a sweet treat.
  • conker6g9holla
    conker6g9holla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Top of the morning. I try my best to prep my meals. Especially the ones for out of the house. That way you can stay on track and cop-n-go. Bacon eggs and avocado are my easy a.m. go too. Chicken salad or tuna salad be the lunch. Broccoli cheddar cheese chicken or fish be my night time sometime. Burgers wrapped in lettuce as the bun always a plus!
  • mzphine
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @conker6g9holla i thought about meal prepping going to look into it. Tried avocado didn’t agree with my taste buds so that’s a no i don’t eat pork ....do i have to eat 3 meals a day? Because i been skipping lunch and just have a snack instead like almonds or turkey/cream cheese?
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    @conker6g9holla i thought about meal prepping going to look into it. Tried avocado didn’t agree with my taste buds so that’s a no i don’t eat pork ....do i have to eat 3 meals a day? Because i been skipping lunch and just have a snack instead like almonds or turkey/cream cheese?

Avocado has a texture that takes getting used to. I like mine with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Yum.
    Nuts or turkey and cream cheese are fine as long as they satisfy you! You can also experiment with fattier meats like roast beef, corned beef, or chicken/turkey thighs. More flavor! Another great option is salami! Super flavorful and nothing is more simple. Plus it has a much longer shelf/fridge life.
  • mzphine
    Options
    @BadBanditCA yeah i tried using salt/pepper on the avocado but as soon as it hits my tongue i have an emesis and feel nauseated. Didn’t think about Roast Beef or corn beef so thank you for that. I have Salami for like a snack with cream cheese!
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    @BadBanditCA yeah i tried using salt/pepper on the avocado but as soon as it hits my tongue i have an emesis and feel nauseated. Didn’t think about Roast Beef or corn beef so thank you for that. I have Salami for like a snack with cream cheese!

Well I have a very close personal relationship with guacamole, so avocado and I get along just fine 😉
    I also love to keep fat bombs around to satisfy sweet tooth and snack cravings. Try this link, lemme know if it works:
    https://carbmanager.page.link/pUMqd2FF32XdnWVa7

Yeah salami is great with any cheese, nuts, or on a salad. 😬
  • mzphine
    Options
    @BadBanditCA yeah i need to definitely make some fat bombs ASAP lol
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    Ha! I JUST made a batch yesterday! So happy. 😬
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    This is my other favorite delish dish. It's basically shepherds pie (ground beef or lamb, browned onion, carrot, peas) with a layer of mashed cauliflower on top (instead of traditional mashed potatoes). Message me or met me know if you want full recipe. It is sooooo good! And it's a perfect leftover meal for a few days.

uempeq3rwsdf.jpeg
  • mzphine
    Options
    @BadBanditCA i never ate Shepard’s Pie that looks really good I’m scared to eat cauliflower because it looks bland to me
  • BadBanditCA
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @BadBanditCA i never ate Shepard’s Pie that looks really good I’m scared to eat cauliflower because it looks bland to me

I felt the same way! But trust me, after you add the butter, cream cheese, salt and pepper from this recipe, it’s gonna taste just as good as mashed potatoes! In some ways I think it’s even better, which I never would have believed before trying them.

Mashed cauliflower
    Ingredients
    1 large (or more as preferred) cauliflower head
    3 tbsp grass fed butter
    1 oz cream cheese (adjust as needed)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Steam cauliflower head for 15 minutes
    Set to drain in sink (allow to drain well; less water, better thickness)
    Mash cauliflower with butter, cream cheese and salt and pepper.

I use a blender to mash this all together, pulsing it until just smooth. Too much and it will go liquidy! You can also use a food processor or hand masher.

Filling
    Ingredients
    2 lbs ground beef or lamb*
    Get fatty beef, 78/22 if possible
    1/2 cup onion of choice, sliced or chopped
    1/2 cup carrots (as per your own macros), chopped
    2-4 tbsp frozen peas (as per your own macros)
    2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 tbsp butter

* Ground lamb is a little harder to find, but so worth it! It is very succulent and more flavorful than beef. A real treat. You can also combine them!

Start to brown onion in butter and garlic on high heat, 5 mins or so.
    Add ground meat, separate and continue browning.
    If you’re using beef, you may want to add additional spices now (I like curry powder!) to add flavor, but not required
    Allow to simmer and add carrots at some point.
    Reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer until cooked.
    Turn off heat and stir in frozen peas.
    Drain liquid.
    Transfer mixture to casserole dish and press down to compress it.
    Spread mashed cauliflower on top.
    Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or so. This is mainly to crisp up the top of the mash. It should start to go golden brown with small burnt edges.

Slice and serve! Or you can cool it now and refrigerate (uncovered) for tomorrow. It’s easier slicing it when it’s cool, and you can rewarm smaller portions at 350 again. Cover with foil so the mash doesn’t get too burnt, but uncover it at the end so it crisps up even more! Yum!
    Adjust serving size as per your macros with a recipe calculator, but this is easily 4-6 servings. More if you have it with sides.

I wrote a lot of detail here, but really this recipe is super simple. Hope you enjoy!
  • Lenag04
    Lenag04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need friends for motivation. add me please.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will definitely have to try that one out. :)
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will definitely have to try that one out. :)

Awesome. Lemme know how you like it 😉

• mzphine
    Options
    @BadBanditCA thank you for that recipe I’m going to try it and see how it goes 🤷🏽‍♀️