Newbie intro and question re Keto tracking

Options
Hi!
I’m new here as of yesterday. Great community so far! Lots of activity.
I’ve been following a Keto lifestyle and track some of it in another app called Carb Manager, which I like very much. Does anyone use MFP for Keto specific tracking? Does it support macros and dialing in a high fat target? And if so, does it do a good job? Just curious if I can eliminate one app... I’m mainly here to track new weight training progress.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MFP supports macro tracking and it allows you to set your own goals for what percentage of your calories you want to allocate to each macro. If you want to have specific targets by gram (and not by percentage of calories), that requires premium.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,551 Member
    Options
    Hi there ..I am a keto'er....you have to adjust the macros that you want....you are welcome to take a look at my food diary its open to all ...wishing you the very best
  • BadBanditCA
    BadBanditCA Posts: 100 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hi there ..I am a keto'er....you have to adjust the macros that you want....you are welcome to take a look at my food diary its open to all ...wishing you the very best

Thanks! I’ll check it out. Haven’t dug into the nutrient part of this app yet... good to know you’re having success.
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    If you want to have specific targets by gram (and not by percentage of calories), that requires premium.

Ah, good to know! Thanks!
  • SueA1957
    SueA1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good to know I can do Keto on here!
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    SueA1957 wrote: »

Yeah, though the app is definitely geared toward low calorie/fat. For instance, even after specifying my Keto macros, the app “warns” me about fat intake and prompts me toward low calorie, high carb foods. I am not a paying member, but I see that premium members can switch their profile to low carb. I wonder if this changes the whole app’s recommendation and warning methodology. Seems like a really bad feature to lock behind a pay wall! It basically makes you “wrong” the entire time using this app, unless you pay up. I’ve been using Carb Manager, and that app is much more flexible about stuff like that. Still, gonna give MFP a fair shake!
  • mbarsainyan21
    mbarsainyan21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great way to keep track on my macros
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    edited April 2019
    Options
    my macros are 5% carbs 70% fat and 25% protein...just go into goals and change it...Also I am not sure if anyone of you are new to keto...make sure you up your sodium to at least 3000 or 4000mg...I don't want any of you to experience the keto flu ...wishing everyone much success on their journey :)
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    my macros are 5% carbs 70% fat and 25% protein...just go into goals and change it...

Same macros here! I have changed the app goals, and that is working properly. The problem is that as a free member, I can’t adjust my profile to “low-carb” in settings. So when I log meals, the app warns me with orange and red text about high fat content. It also seems to prompt me to eat low fat meals in subtle ways.
    Not a huge problem, but I feel like the app is disapproving of me! Not a great relationship... 😉
  • Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Add me I'm keto and uk
  • anisokun
    anisokun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tried Carb Manager but found once you pay for premium MFP app is all I need to track macros, create recipes, check specific food items for nutritional info before I eat, etc. It’s really the only app I use now.
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    anisokun wrote: »
    It’s really the only app I use now.

That’s what I’m hoping for! I have a bunch of custom foods and meals in CM, maybe I can import them...
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I no longer do Keto because I found calorie tracking to be more effective for me (but to each his/her own), but there is an add-on for Chrome if you want to be more exact in your Keto tracking on the computer (i.e. net carbs, etc). I don't remember what it's called, but it should be easy to find. I'm sure you can look it up easily on reddit.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    I downloaded the script Greasemonkey to show my macros...badbandit if you look at my diary you will see at the bottom
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    I downloaded the script Greasemonkey to show my macros...badbandit if you look at my diary you will see at the bottom

Lol I tried getting to your diary earlier in this thread, but I don’t see a link for that! What am I missing? Do we fave to be friends?
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    my macros are 5% carbs 70% fat and 25% protein...just go into goals and change it...

Same macros here! I have changed the app goals, and that is working properly. The problem is that as a free member, I can’t adjust my profile to “low-carb” in settings. So when I log meals, the app warns me with orange and red text about high fat content. It also seems to prompt me to eat low fat meals in subtle ways.
    Not a huge problem, but I feel like the app is disapproving of me! Not a great relationship... 😉

You can turn off those pop up notifications in your preferences.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    click on my avatar ...click again and it should take you to my profile where you can view my food
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    SueA1957 wrote: »

Yeah, though the app is definitely geared toward low calorie/fat. For instance, even after specifying my Keto macros, the app “warns” me about fat intake and prompts me toward low calorie, high carb foods. I am not a paying member, but I see that premium members can switch their profile to low carb. I wonder if this changes the whole app’s recommendation and warning methodology. Seems like a really bad feature to lock behind a pay wall! It basically makes you “wrong” the entire time using this app, unless you pay up. I’ve been using Carb Manager, and that app is much more flexible about stuff like that. Still, gonna give MFP a fair shake!

Do you mean the little pop-up "insights"? I find those things nonsensical and I'm not even low carb. You can switch them off in your settings.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    @BadBanditCA we can be friends if you would like
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    Do you mean the little pop-up "insights"? I find those things nonsensical and I'm not even low carb. You can switch them off in your settings.

Is that what the option is called? Insights? Hmmm I’ll take a look. It’s also the reddish text that seems to be warning me about high fat content, and other subtle things like that. I’m not saying it’s a dealbreaker or anything, just a little confrontational 😉