Physical and time limitations

For those of you with physical and time limitations, how to you exercise? I have moderate osteoarthritis in one knee and severe osteoarthritis in the other. My "bad" knee does not have full range of motion. It is permanently bent somewhere between 145-175 degrees. That makes running and stairs a physical impossibility for exercise. Stairs are very difficult in any situation, but I can walk up and down a flight with caution. Also, both of my rotator cuffs have tears.

Time wise, I work two jobs. One is 50+ hours/week (teacher) and the other is 20 hours/week (dog trainer).

I can walk just fine, but after a certain number of steps per day and per week, my bad knee and whole right leg swells up and I lose even more range of motion.

I know I'm not the only one with mechanical issues--so what do you do?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I get up at 3:15 to workout before work. I only work one 40-hour job though. I do have to do the soccer mom thing after work, which is why I have to hit the gym in the a.m.
  • grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    Combine your exercise with your dog training. If you have any spare time, try swimming - it’s easy on the joints.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    It seems like you probably get a lot of movement already with your 2 busy jobs. What is your goal in adding more exercise (weight loss, building muscle)? We could make better suggestions knowing what you're trying to accomplish. In general, though, weight training or yoga may be good options for you and both would allow you to control stress to the injured areas.

You do have a busy schedule, so you'll have to get creative about where to fit in your exercise. Yoga can be done at home, so that would save you some travel time. I train hard but don't get overly sweaty when weight training, so that makes the cleanup routine very fast. I do my workouts first thing in the morning (waking at 4am and everything is packed the night before). Look at your schedule and see if you could consolidate some things on 2 or 3 days of the week--then exercise during that time on the other days. For example, shift grading papers and calling parents (or whatever you do daily) to only Mon, Wed, Fri--that leaves time on Tues/Thurs to exercise. Does that give you any ideas?
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    You're in a tough spot. I teach too so I get that part. If you do the math there isn't really much time left for exercise. I see a few things to consider though - first remember you don't need to exercise to lose weight (if that's an issue - you didn't say that it was).

As posted earlier, can you add some exercise movement to the time with the dogs? I know that depends on what kind of training you are doing.

Also - maybe you need to prioritize some time just for you. Teaching and many other professions will consume you if you allow it. Remember if you died left tomorrow they would find a replacement for you within the week. You have to take care of you - so 30 min. to an hour a day that keeps you healthy isn't too much to ask. You have 24 hours in each day. Keep one of those for yourself. That's the way I look at it anyway.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Can you bike, or use a stationary bike?
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    What a cool job to have. You're doing so much good in the world. I love animals.

A lot of areas have 24 hour gyms. Do you have access to one? If you do, you could go early before teaching or on your train dogs only days. The early days are really not too bad once you get get in the habit of packing everything you need the night before.

I would recommend weight training to anyone for general fitness. It has changed my life. But the gym would give you access to other equipment you may enjoy too. Let us know what you do.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Thanks for all of your responses!

To answer a few of your questions (in random order):

1. I do have a pool in my community. I need to look into getting a fob so I can access it. It's walking distance! I have not gone swimming or been in a pool in 25+ years so I didn't even think of it--so thank you!
    2. I do have a mountain bike. About 10-12 years ago I was a very active rider. I quit because it became hard on my wrists (carpal tunnel) to ride that bike. I could look into trading it for a more upright, less sporting bike. Cruisers, I think they are called. Maybe I could make someone a trade.
    3. I don't have access to a gym in my area. I live in a rural area that is coming up as a bedroom community to a large city. There is a gym being built near me--not walkable, but close enough.
    4. Yoga is how I tore my rotator cuffs. I had a very young, very eager instructor who physically pushed my palms together and my arms up behind my back in a reverse namaste. I told her I was too inflexible to to it and she insisted that I could and now I have torn rotator cuffs. I was right...

I also have a very needy dog one that was deemed un-adoptable after years of rehab by a few of my dog training colleagues. I agreed to foster him and work intensively with him for a couple of months...that was 5 years ago. I thought he was doing great and took him to be evaluated by a group of impartial evaluators and he bit one of them. The shelter was going to euth him immediately, so I signed my life away and took him home. He sometimes makes it difficult to leave home after I enter the house as he expresses his severe separation anxiety by attacking me if I try to leave at a non-routine time. I love him and am glad to have him, but he is not a help to my exercise regime. He has to be double collared and double leashed with a basket muzzle to leave the house (per the adoption agreement I signed). Sigh.

Does anyone have a low impact do-at-home program that they love?

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Look at Leslie Sansone walk at home programs. She has different levels and they can actually be quite a decent workout and easily able to accommodate various physical limitations.

A lot of people like Yoga with Adrienne on you tube. She won't force you to tear anything. :#
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited April 2019
    You probably aren't going to like this but could you cut back a bit on the dog training to give yourself 5-6 extra hours for targeted exercise to help you move better? Remember the flight attendant tells you to get your own oxygen mask on before helping someone else.

Getting some targeted exercises from a physical therapist and doing them religiously may very well help your mobility and allow you to work with dogs long term.

Also see if there is a dog agility group in your area. A HS friend has a bad knee and other issues and goes all over the midwest for competitions. She said her agility friends (all in your age range) do all kinds of things to keep them moving. Your love of dogs will give you a common bond.

Best of luck.
  • mszallar
    mszallar Posts: 34 Member
    Grace mentioned it above, but swimming is great exercise and easy on the joints!

Kudos for thinking of that!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    It seems like you probably get in a lot of movement during your normal everyday life. In your place, I would likely just purchase a set of adjustable dumbbells and do a full body workout with them twice a week. That's it.
  • texasredreb
    My step count yesterday (teach only) was a bit over 7200.

I have cut back a lot on dog training! I physically cannot hold most large, strong pullers. That's not entirely true, I can hold them and not let them go, but I'm not really able to train them--just hang on! My knee hates me for that!
    I've started to do a lot less walking and exercising and a lot more behavior modification which is usually lots of simple repetition in a controlled environment. I also write a lot of training protocols for other volunteers to follow.

I'll look up the videos/programs suggested--thanks! I am going to get a set of weights and work them. I have to go pretty light due to rotator cuffs (which are small tears, hence no treatment), but I still have to be mindful.

I feel so sedentary compared to what I used to do, both when I was thinner and pre knee injury, when I was my heaviest.

Thanks again for the support and suggestions!

• grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    Fitness Blender online has great workouts. You can pick the type, level, intensity, time. And it’s free!
  • texasredreb
    Thank you!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Thanks for all of your responses!

To answer a few of your questions (in random order):

1. I do have a pool in my community. I need to look into getting a fob so I can access it. It's walking distance! I have not gone swimming or been in a pool in 25+ years so I didn't even think of it--so thank you!
    2. I do have a mountain bike. About 10-12 years ago I was a very active rider. I quit because it became hard on my wrists (carpal tunnel) to ride that bike. I could look into trading it for a more upright, less sporting bike. Cruisers, I think they are called. Maybe I could make someone a trade.
    3. I don't have access to a gym in my area. I live in a rural area that is coming up as a bedroom community to a large city. There is a gym being built near me--not walkable, but close enough.
    4. Yoga is how I tore my rotator cuffs. I had a very young, very eager instructor who physically pushed my palms together and my arms up behind my back in a reverse namaste. I told her I was too inflexible to to it and she insisted that I could and now I have torn rotator cuffs. I was right...

I also have a very needy dog one that was deemed un-adoptable after years of rehab by a few of my dog training colleagues. I agreed to foster him and work intensively with him for a couple of months...that was 5 years ago. I thought he was doing great and took him to be evaluated by a group of impartial evaluators and he bit one of them. The shelter was going to euth him immediately, so I signed my life away and took him home. He sometimes makes it difficult to leave home after I enter the house as he expresses his severe separation anxiety by attacking me if I try to leave at a non-routine time. I love him and am glad to have him, but he is not a help to my exercise regime. He has to be double collared and double leashed with a basket muzzle to leave the house (per the adoption agreement I signed). Sigh.

Does anyone have a low impact do-at-home program that they love?

Wow - I also have knee arthritis and a needy/reactive dog 😁 so I feel your pain.

I recently gave up running and started using a stationary bike at home. I was determined to keep running, but I cant get the swelling under control and the bike actually makes my knee feel better. I am not as busy as you are, but I like that when I am tired I can vary it and just do a light workout, or go harder when I feel like it.

I get up super early to walk my (muzzled) dog before anyone else is out and about. I wear a brace in my knee for that but it still swells a bit sometimes. Good for you for not giving up on your dog. My needy guy is 10 now and while he is still reactive, he is also a sweetheart, and we have made the adjustments necessary to give him the best quality of life we can - while keeping us and the neighbors safe. 😁
  • texasredreb
    edited April 2019
    @33gail33 Thanks for sharing! My dog is coming up on 10 years old....oh wait; he IS ten years old! Gosh, I forgot his (estimated) birthday. It was in February. Willie is also very sweet, loving and needy to those he knows and loves. He's easy to live with, for the most part. Leaving the house is always a challenge, but during routine leavings I make him "go to place" and wait while I walk out the door. I am usually able to get out without getting scratched or bit.

I lived in an apartment complex for a year with him and our daily long walk happened literally in the middle of the night. Strange happenings at that time of night in a complex, but usually no loose dogs.

Kudos to you for hanging in there with your dog. It isn't easy.
  • dansamy2
    dansamy2 Posts: 22 Member
    I also have a reactive dog. Not muzzle trained, but we do use a lot of environmental controls. We can walk in our neighborhood without too much fuss usually. We just make a u turn and change directions if we need to. Today, it was a neighbor's yard sale.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    dansamy2 wrote: »
    I also have a reactive dog. Not muzzle trained, but we do use a lot of environmental controls. We can walk in our neighborhood without too much fuss usually. We just make a u turn and change directions if we need to. Today, it was a neighbor's yard sale.

Yeah mine is dog reactive and kind of loses it on leash when he sees a strange dog and bites whatever/whoever is closest (usually my leg or my other dog). I liken it it PTSD in a human, it is a visceral REaction, not an aggressive action. (He came to us in bad shape and of unknown background.) "Luckily" he has only ever bit family 😁, but he has got all five of us at least once before we learned the appropriate triggers and controls to use. But he doesn't ever leave my house/yard without a muzzle. Three years and counting since the last "incident" ...
  • texasredreb
    My dog's reactivity is all fear based. He's a sweet guy when there is nothing triggering him. Unfortunately he has many triggers: dogs, animals, kids, adults, vehicles, bicycles, loud noises, unexpected changes in the routine, etc. He was found as a stray with an embedded chain and an embedded collar. He also had a broken hip. He now has a mechanical hip and scars all over from his past trauma. He spent from age 1 to age 5 in and out (mostly in) a shelter. He is very neurotic. His separation anxiety is the worst of any dog I've ever seen. He doesn't tear up the house though, he tears up me when I try to leave without him.

He's also very smart and sweet. He takes his own laundry out of the dryer and knows lots of tricks and has had many years of training.