What running shoes are you using?

Options
DX2JX2
DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
I'm generally a Brooks loyalist but am not really a fan of their most recent updates. Looking for alternatives.

I usually keep two pairs of shoes in my rotation at any given time: one lighter pair for tempo and speedwork and one very heavier cushioned pair for easy & long runs. Support-wise I'm on the borderline between stability and neutral and am generally fine with either. I'm a midfoot striker so can work with a wide range of drops but would rather avoid a neutral drop/natural shoe just because I haven't run in them before. I generally average between 30-40 miles per week.

What are your favorite shoes or what pair(s) would you recommend? Price doesn't really matter. I'm fine up to $150 USD (the high end of most manufacturer lines).

Replies

• z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have three pairs in rotation now
    Brooks Levitate 2 ver 19. Lighter than previous models. 8 mm drop
    Saucony Kinvara 10 ver 19. 4 mm drop (tempo runs)
    Last one is Hoka. Cant remember the name atm, but its a 5 mm drop. Dont use it as much as the 5 mm drop feels odd for some reason.

Really like the Brooks and Saucony though.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I use Asics and Brooks, but that is really not relevant. What shoe works best for me may not work at all for you. I understand thinking a recommendation would be helpful, but not really. You want a recommendation? Go to a running shoe store, try a few with a gait analysis and pick the pair YOU find is best. They may be completely different from what I, or anyone else, would suggest.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    New balance 860s for me
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Glycerines and Ghosts are my main shoes. I use the NB 860s for walking. I used to love Asics, but I have very wide feet and they got too narrow.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    What is it about the updates that you don't like? I have always been fitted to a neutral shoe, but I have always found my preferred shoe, especially for long runs, to be the Asics Kayano, which is more of a cushioned stability shoe. I have been wearing them for many years. I like the cushioning and the roomy toe box. I also had some issues with recent updates and tried a number of other neutral shoes. The closest I found were the Brooks Glycerins, so if you are a fan of those, you may want to check out the Kayanos or the Nimbus if you want a lighter shoe.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I run in Asic Gel Kayano 25's at the moment and I think they are the best Kayano's yet, I started with this model about 14 years ago. Amazing running shoe.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I have overpronation issues. For years, I was using the Saucony Stabil. When the Stabil was replaced by the Redeemer, I switched over. Last summer, though, when I went in for a new pair, the Running Room store told me they no longer carried it. They had other Saucony shoes, but not the one I needed. So I got Brooks Arial 18s instead. They're slightly more expensive but I think they also feel slightly more comfortable. I just got a new pair a week or so ago.
  • TreasureDiver1
    TreasureDiver1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I can't afford shoes, I run in my socks.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For many years now I've enjoyed the Saucony Kinvara, wanting a minimal drop shoe, and needing slightly wider forefoot.

They have a tall enough box space for required short-leg inserts.

Some years didn't work or they made a change I didn't like, so currently I bought some older version that I like, couple pairs of them.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    What is it about the updates that you don't like? I have always been fitted to a neutral shoe, but I have always found my preferred shoe, especially for long runs, to be the Asics Kayano, which is more of a cushioned stability shoe. I have been wearing them for many years. I like the cushioning and the roomy toe box. I also had some issues with recent updates and tried a number of other neutral shoes. The closest I found were the Brooks Glycerins, so if you are a fan of those, you may want to check out the Kayanos or the Nimbus if you want a lighter shoe.

Mainly appearance. The newest generations are not attractive but I've also found minor issues with things like sock grip/bunching with thicker socks (Balega Hidden Comfort) because they've changed over to an all knit upper. That said, I do like the Glycerins for my long run shoe, I'm currently running the prior generation of those and two generation old version of the Ravenna (mild stability, lightly cushioned).

I had serious sock grip & blister issues with the version of the Ravenna just past because they switched to an all-knit upper and ditched those pretty quickly. Basically, the recent updates to Brooks haven't been performing flawlessly enough to merit sticking with the brand without question.
  • stephsjourney2019
    stephsjourney2019 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Brooks Ravenna have been my go to shoes for years. With this last update I had to go to wides because of the change. But definitely go in and get fitted and see what they say. Saucuony gave me blisters so I gave up on those. But Hoka's have been on my radar.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Brooks Dyad for most of my walking. Also have a pair of Nikes and a pair of NB--don't know the models.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »

Mainly appearance. The newest generations are not attractive but I've also found minor issues with things like sock grip/bunching with thicker socks (Balega Hidden Comfort) because they've changed over to an all knit upper. That said, I do like the Glycerins for my long run shoe, I'm currently running the prior generation of those and two generation old version of the Ravenna (mild stability, lightly cushioned).

I had serious sock grip & blister issues with the version of the Ravenna just past because they switched to an all-knit upper and ditched those pretty quickly. Basically, the recent updates to Brooks haven't been performing flawlessly enough to merit sticking with the brand without question.

If you do decide to switch brands, I would recommend trying a pair on for size before you buy them or order them. i wear a half size larger in Asics than I do in Brooks.
  • julesdechaine
    julesdechaine Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I can't afford shoes, I run in my socks.

lol I prefer running barefoot on a track, but on the treadmill I love my Brooks

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I got my first pair of max cushion Hokas for road and am in love. No more hip and knee pain. For trail I like the Saucony Peregrine 7.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I wear Saucony Hurricanes for long runs and New Balance Vongo for short runs (up to about 6 miles). I have a neuroma and need a cavernous toe box (Altras are often too narrow).

I have an assortment of “special/fun” shoes (Brooks ugly sweater (Levitate maybe?), Brooks shamrock (Launch maybe?), and Saucony Dunkin Donuts (Kinvara)). I like all of them but they are far too narrow for me so I can really only manage about a 5k before my neuroma is too irritated to continue. I really do like the Kinvara-nice mix of a super light shoe and plenty of cushion.
  • luckycleo777
    luckycleo777 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of surprised you don't like Brooks Adrenaline!

I used to be an Asics girl but their toe boxes have gotten so narrow over the past few years. Brooks Adrenaline GTS is very comfy, but not as much of a 'stability' shoe as is claimed. I'd say it's pretty neutral.

I have flat, wide feet and LOVE Brooks Ravenna 9. I recently tried to order another pair and I see they've moved on to Ravenna 10. I hope they didn't change much!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    For roads, I wear Hoka Clifton's (I bought a bunch of 4's on clearance when the 5's came out, and still working through miles on them). I've found comfort in these and have been with them since the original Clifton's. Unless there are significant changes, I'll probably stick with them.

For Trails, I have some Vasque Pendulum GTX's, but am open to other options for my next trail shoe.

I know shoes are a highly individual thing for runners, so I'm not at all suggesting that what I wear will be just as good for anyone else. I've had bad experiences with the wrong shoes as well - some Skechers GoRun's that caused bursitis in my knee. :(
  • nomorewombat
    nomorewombat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Brooks Beast 18, I have flattish feet so find the control and cushioning perfect for me and they come in 4E :)
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Just ordered another 2 pair of Asics Gel Kayano 25. My podiatrist recommended them for me but they sure seem to wear out fast. The cushioning and support is good.