Meditation, mindful eating and success

Options
I've had some success wit this in the part while being on a very consistent schedule.
Basically I was meditating once, sometimes twice per day for a total of 60-90 minutes.

After weeks of doing this, I noticed huge changes in myself and specifically how I thought about food.
I seemed to be more aware of what I was eating, how much of it I was eating and why (basically I was eating when I was hungry and experiencing all aspects of the food).

With some life changes, I didn't maintain discipline around my schedule which allowed me to meditate but I am on my way back to there.

Is there anybody else doing this?
Im really interested to hear of similar experiences - successful or not.

Replies

• sharon8271
    sharon8271 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started daily meditation while adopting a healthier lifestyle. I meditate every morning before working out. It has really helped me become more mindful and calm in many areas besides health. I think it has played an important role in helping me reach my health goals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Mindful eating certainly is slower, allowing my hungry signals to catch up.

Also, giving full attention to a treat intensifies the experience. Why eat two chocolates when one will do?
  • nerdyarmadillo
    nerdyarmadillo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was meditating pretty consistently at the start of 2019, but I've fallen off in the last two or three weeks. I've also fallen off with making nutrient-dense intuitive food choices, and have gone over my calorie limit a few times. I don't think that not meditating is fully to blame for making less mindful food choices, but it plays its part.

I'm going to go to a float tank session tomorrow, which will kick-start my enthusiasm for meditating again!

I've been using guided meditations primarily. Do you use guided or unguided, OP?
  • Monkeyfreck
    Monkeyfreck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Interesting to get the feedback. Seems like I’m not the only one! Either directly or indirectly, meditation does change things.

I do a mix of both guided and unguided, it really depends on how I’m feeling. Sometimes I’ll go for guided if I don’t feel so motivated but want to get some meditation into my day - even if it’s only 5 minutes.

On other occasions, I can do 30 - 60 minutes unguided.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just started doing this a week ago. I decided I needed something to help me replace after dinner snack cravings. I’ve always had a “food equals relaxation” issue and would eat even if I wasn’t hungry, especially at night.

Trying to do a half hour a night, guided. I lost 3 lbs doing this last week, pretty significant considering I only wanted to lose 7. Weight loss has slowed down, of course, but it seems like this might be the way to reach goal, and finally break my years-long habit of late-night snacking.
  • lindsayann135
    lindsayann135 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @Monkeyfreck where did you get info on meditation to get started?
  • Monkeyfreck
    Options
    @Monkeyfreck where did you get info on meditation to get started?

One thing that I really like - as an introduction at least is an app called headspace.
    You can download it and check out some free guided meditations that are intended as an introduction.

There is another app called insight timer that is also really, really good!

Hope that helps!
  • Monkeyfreck
    Options
    I just started doing this a week ago. I decided I needed something to help me replace after dinner snack cravings. I’ve always had a “food equals relaxation” issue and would eat even if I wasn’t hungry, especially at night.

Trying to do a half hour a night, guided. I lost 3 lbs doing this last week, pretty significant considering I only wanted to lose 7. Weight loss has slowed down, of course, but it seems like this might be the way to reach goal, and finally break my years-long habit of late-night snacking.

This is awesome! Glad to hear that it works well for you.
    I am slowly getting back into a consistent routine and I'm enjoying it!
  • surjiosurjio
    surjiosurjio Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Chakra crystals are a good addition to meditation as they have healing powers
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I've been using Calm for about a year, mostly to help with my Insomnia, but also found it useful for dealing with stress which is usually what triggers binge eating for me. It has helped me a little with mindful eating strategies but I don't always have the time to implement them.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started a meditation group at work, just 10 minutes and it works wonders for me. I tend to use the Maitri meditation method. I do some clear mind meditation but I prefer more awareness of self and the world. I have found group meditation extremely rewarding as well. Be well!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I've never been good at meditation but am certainly willing to give it another shot.

I do practice mindful eating, though. That's been very helpful.