Anyone else just starting Slimfast?

Options
AmyzGotThis
AmyzGotThis Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Hi there!

Amy here... I am 44 years young. I am happily married, the proud mom of two young adults, and a relatively active person (cycling in the summer, downhill skiing in the winter, and hiking in between).

I’ve lost 80 lb in 2007... gained it back. Lost 60 lb a couple of years ago... gained it back. Lost 21 lb last fall ... gained it back. WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF? I know exactly what I need to do: drink tons of water, track everything that I eat/drink, be consistent, don’t sweat the exceptional meals out, move!

Needing a kickstart, I am trying Slimfast for the first time — because I am trying to simplify the process, not because I feel there’s a miracle product out there. Doing 2 shakes, 3 100-calorie snacks, 1 healthy meal.

I have swapped my daily zero-calorie energy drink for tea to look and feel less bloated.

Shall we connect?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I am also 44 years young. Slimfast didn't work for me 20 years ago.

I learned I have to actually chew my food to feel full.

What did work for me was buying a food scale, weighing everything, and logging it all, no skipping, cheating, or forgetting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I am also 44 years young. Slimfast didn't work for me 20 years ago.

I learned I have to actually chew my food to feel full.

What did work for me was buying a food scale, weighing everything, and logging it all, no skipping, cheating, or forgetting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

What she said!
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Do you like the taste of Slimfast? They always tasted so metallic to me.
    I make my own smoothies with frozen fruit (140g), plain nonfat Greek yogurt (110g) protein powder (15g) and water. Change up the flavor with different fruit and protein powder. Cheaper, more delicious, and more satisfying IMO than Slimfast.
    Setting up a way you can eat happily forever is a better way to kickstart a new eating plan.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Setting up a way you can eat happily forever is a better way to kickstart a new eating plan.

1000% this!
  • KimberlyCapone
    KimberlyCapone Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I drink the Fit and Active weight loss shakes from Aldi. I assume they're similar to Slim Fast in that they're intended to replace a meal. I have one for breakfast because I'm typically on the go, so it works for me. If I had the choice, I'd rather eat 190 calories than drink a shake! I do agree that the actual Slim Fast brand is metallic tasting - but I assume that's because they're in a can.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi there!

Amy here... I am 44 years young. I am happily married, the proud mom of two young adults, and a relatively active person (cycling in the summer, downhill skiing in the winter, and hiking in between).

I’ve lost 80 lb in 2007... gained it back. Lost 60 lb a couple of years ago... gained it back. Lost 21 lb last fall ... gained it back. WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF? I know exactly what I need to do: drink tons of water, track everything that I eat/drink, be consistent, don’t sweat the exceptional meals out, move!

Needing a kickstart, I am trying Slimfast for the first time — because I am trying to simplify the process, not because I feel there’s a miracle product out there. Doing 2 shakes, 3 100-calorie snacks, 1 healthy meal.

I have swapped my daily zero-calorie energy drink for tea to look and feel less bloated.

Shall we connect?

I also couldn't handle two shakes a day, I just am not satiated enough by drinking something for that to work for me. By all means, try it if you want, but please don't feel defeated if it just ends up being too hard to stick to.

Maybe you could do a shake for breakfast and a Lean Cuisine or something like that for lunch?
    If you're active, don't go too low cal or you won't be fueling your exercise and will end up hitting the wall hard. Put your stats into MFP, set yourself to moderately active, and see whereabouts your calories should be. Often when folks keep gaining weight back, it's because they lose weight eating in a way they don't really like and never learn how to eat at the right calorie level in a way that they enjoy and is practical for their lifestyle.

I'm sorry if this thread is turning into talking you out of it rather than joining you, but we've all been there.

I understand needing a psychological jumpstart, just don't go too low cal or too difficult or it may just lead to falling completely off track, which is counterproductive and I'm speaking from personal experience :lol:

Good luck!
  • lavender102013
    lavender102013 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've started doing Slimfast and I love it. I chose to make my one "real meal" breakfast as I've always preferred breakfast foods. I have 2 scrambled eggs with a little spinach and a slice of WW toast all drizzled with a teeny bit of Ketchup. I have my shakes for Lunch and Dinner. I have 2 snack in between, usually one will be an apple and the other is something like carrot sticks and cottage cheese. I also have Metamucil 3 times a day to up my fiber and keep things moving lol. I like the ease of Slimfast because I have 3 kids (5 and under) and this is super easy
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I've started doing Slimfast and I love it. I chose to make my one "real meal" breakfast as I've always preferred breakfast foods. I have 2 scrambled eggs with a little spinach and a slice of WW toast all drizzled with a teeny bit of Ketchup. I have my shakes for Lunch and Dinner. I have 2 snack in between, usually one will be an apple and the other is something like carrot sticks and cottage cheese. I also have Metamucil 3 times a day to up my fiber and keep things moving lol. I like the ease of Slimfast because I have 3 kids (5 and under) and this is super easy

Just please make sure you are eating enough calories, that doesn't sound like anywhere near 1200 cals. Under eating isn't healthy either, and often will catch up to you suddenly like hitting a brick wall
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i found it is delicious with cookies, but to lose weight i have to eat real food. keep those total daily calories accurate and on plan and you'll lose weight. there's no tricks or shortcuts. make a long term commitment to losing weight and learning how to maintain a lighter healthier you.
  • lavender102013
    lavender102013 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Just please make sure you are eating enough calories, that doesn't sound like anywhere near 1200 cals. Under eating isn't healthy either, and often will catch up to you suddenly like hitting a brick wall

Yup, I'm eating 1200. some days slightly over!