running and losing 80 lbs.

Options
Hello, I knew kick *kittens* running when I weigh 80lbs less than I do now. I've been running a bit the couple of months. I want to run as sort of a motivation and guide to drop the 80. Then after I am there, step it up and try to run fast Anyone else like to/want to run and weigh 80 lbs less?

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Eating less calories than your body burns is what is needed for losing weight. Exercise is good for overall health and allows you to consume more calories, but not necessary for weight loss.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes, but don't just run, use it as part of a calorie deficit (not an excuse to eat more) and go slower than most training plans weekly progression suggests because if you are overweight it's more strain on your joints. Make sure to add in strength training, your joints will thank you later!
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I started out with running goals also, and fell in love with it. I am down about 65lbs now. I started with a couch 2 5k program, and now I run 10ks. I also strength train, and am working on my speed.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same situation. I was a faster runner when I weighed less (and I was younger). I’m working on losing the extra pounds. About 65 to go. I run now, but I’m not training for any races, just taking it easy. Focusing on nutrition & tracking calories. What distance do you like? Utica Boilermaker 15k is my fave race. 10k is a nice distance for me.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    chelny wrote: »
    What distance do you like? Utica Boilermaker 15k is my fave race. 10k is a nice distance for me.

13.1 miles is a good hard challenge. One super fit fast marathon would be the goal.