Any other recovered eating disorder people here?

Options
I consider myself recovered (four years today!) but still struggle from time to time with obsessive thoughts about food/weight. Are there any other people like me here who are trying to be healthy without spiraling? Any advice?

Replies

• akpsavings0607
    akpsavings0607 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Recovered since 1998 sort of (?) Had my first child then, I now have 7. I'm 46 years old and still struggle. Now I am tracking foods, looking at macros, heavy weight lifting, cardio. No matter how much I tell myself the number on the scale doesn't matter, it does. Truly, I desire to be healthy and not mess up our daughters with the whole diet mentality that my mother had. Not sure what advice I have but to choose health. Healthy isn't skinny or obese. Healthy is caring how you treat your body, how you treat yourself.
  • IThinkImDumb
    IThinkImDumb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a 13 year history of anorexia and bulimia and have been in recovery for several years. Congratulations on 4 years in recovery :)

Im not sure if it's similar for you, but although it's still there very faint somewhere in the background, over time it just faded to a degree and no longer rules my life. My life is fuller in so many ways now I'm in recovery (and trust me that was a hard slog), including friends, partner, family, pets, hobbies and relaxing. If I get too obsessive it's likely I will stop prioritising these things I worked so hard to build up. The old me was at a weight my head told me was acceptable but i was isolated, depressed and terribly lonely. If I start to get obsessive I focus on this and remind myself what's important. I can honestly say i would rather be 'too heavy' than 'slim' and with the above mindset.

My advice would be to maybe think of what you are being healthy for, like the above, and what healthy means for you. Healthy is mind as well as body. Healthy is looking after your mind and body and that means doing things in life where weight and numbers don't rule you, including meeting friends for dinner and drinks and not struggling to enjoy it because you're panicked about the numbers. I sometimes have to stay away from websites like this if I get obsessive or feel those thoughts creeping in. It's not worth it.

I hope this helps, happy to talk more if you need support.

• mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    40 years recovered! I began my cycle of eating disorders before the terms anorexia and bulimia were known to the general public. What started out as control over my own body quickly left me feeling ashamed and alone. I knew this was neurotic, but I couldn't stop. Fortunately for me this only last about three years. I stopped starving myself and started loving myself. I realize that I have never really talked about this...to everyone out there struggling with eating disorders please talk to someone, don't let this define you. Do I still struggle with over eating? Sure, I'm middle aged and I find it more difficult than ever to maintain my weight. Yes, I sometimes over eat, but I don't binge and I don't purge. I just do better the next day. I found the key was to eat. Eat healthy and eat often so I am never ravenous, this helped me break the cycle. Be healthy, eat healthy, exercise, love yourself, repeat.