Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    what rate of loss did you select?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Moderation? Raises an interesting point. Inability to practice moderation is the essence of problem drinking.

That said, there’s also such a thing as failure to accept a few limits. People here get into this whole radical diet on the program off the program trying to beat themselves into strict eating austerity plans. All that’s really needed are a few reasonable limits. That and time.

Life has all sorts of limits that we deal with every day. Storing excess calories as fat is the way our bodies are designed. It’s how we survived when food was scarce. Just how it works. What’s you plan going to be to finding your way to some reasonable limits? As you can see, no one here can give you a magic answer.

I’m a big believer in the food diary. Keep it going no matter what. At first it seemed like a nutty move. But after a few weeks it revealed some very valuable information. Changed a lot of stuff for me.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    What if at night you prepare all the food within your goal for the next day. Slice it, bake it, package it. Label it for that specific day. Include 4 oz of wine (measure it) for evening. Pre enter it all into MFP.

Then you can enter the next day deciding when to eat everything you made for the day. Your goal is literally to finish it all!

Also, I love chips. I just have them about two times a week and I pre-weigh one ounce on the food scale so I know I stayed at one serving.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    What helped me was upping my calories. I only have a 500 cal/1 pound a week loss. I learned how to fit ice cream into my "diet". I learned one bad day is ok and won't derail me
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and totally understand what you are saying. How can something so simple in theory be so difficult to do? It's an awful cycle - you decide you can do this, you count your calories, success for 3 or 4 or even 5 days, lose motivation, back to old habits, repeat over and over and over again.

For me, I think it's my attitude. I equate sticking to my daily calories as torture, I'm always hungry, I can't be spontaneous, I'm a failure, this is too hard, the list goes on.

I have had success in the past so I know this works. I am probably not the best person to take advice from because I struggle as much as you do but I can tell you what works for me.

Make it a fun and positive experience, think about the end result, envision it actually happening.
    I eat the foods I like, I didn't restrict any particular type of food.
    Know what you are capable of, listen to your body, don't have the all or nothing mindset with eating.
    I stick with a 200-500 calorie deficit every day, any more than that would send me into binge mode.
    The days when I did splurge, I didn't beat myself up about it , I didn't revert to eating nothing the next day, I just moved on and started fresh again.
    I rewarded myself (non food items) when I accomplished small goals, like making it through the first week, or losing 5 pounds.

I think if you can somehow convince yourself that it's truly worth it and you are really ready to make changes you will be strong enough to resist or at least control the splurge. If you are feeling out of control, take a step back, literally, walk away from the situation for a few minutes and think about it, distract yourself somehow.

I need to take my own advice !!