Tired all the time after change in eating habits

Options
Hi:
I have been always conscious about eating healthy and whole foods. Not to say that I don’t have a piece of cake or a donut once in a while but on March 6, I decided to give up whole grains, a staple in my diet and added sugars. Needless to say, it has been a difficult journey but I have managed to stay on track. I have replaced the whole grains with seeds like quinoa, wild rice amaranth and so on. I eat smaller meals and continue to eat lots of veggies, fruits, nuts and healthy protein all in moderation. I drink about a liter and a half of water daily (more when I go to the gym) which I have cut down to once a week. I have been doing this for about a month and I have not seen any changes in weight but I am now tired all the time. I get full night sleep and barely wake up during the night (as per my Fitbit) so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. This brings me back to the gym, I had to cut down because instead of giving me energy, it is making it worse. I have now put my PT on hold and just go for 3.5km walks at lunch 3X a week. Still my energy is low. I get a B12 shot once a month but not even that is helping. My goal is to complete 40 days. I need to hold on until April 19. The kicker, I am not hungry. Was planning to see a nutritionist sometime this week as I don’t know what to do. My FPL daily consumption limit is the following:
Cal – 1200
Sat fat – 13
Fiber – 25
Protein – 60
Sodium – 2300
Sugar – 45
I must say, I almost always go over my protein but I always stay under or meet everything else.
Can someone help?
BBCode

Replies

• superkitcat
    superkitcat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    stats? No I have not cut out caffeine - I drink only black coffee
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Is that 1200 net or only 1200, if you were exercising and not eating those calories back then you will feel lethargic because you're not eating enough.

How much weight do you have to lose and what rate of loss have you chosen?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stats? No I have not cut out caffeine - I drink only black coffee

weight, height, activity level, age
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I would fatigued also on 1200 calories. Why did you pick that number?
  • superkitcat
    Options
    165, 5"7, as of now Just walking 3X times a week 3.5km and 38. I said I wanted to lose 25 to 30 lbs in a year or so. I wanted this change to jump start the weight loss and after April 19 to slowly introduce the whole grains. I was eating 1800 to 2000 calories when working out with a trainer twice a week and on my own 1 or twice a week. It varied. Now that I'm not, I don't see the point. Don't I have to keep a deficit of 500 calories to see some changes?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    165, 5"7, as of now Just walking 3X times a week 3.5km and 38. I said I wanted to lose 25 to 30 lbs in a year or so. I wanted this change to jump start the weight loss and after April 19 to slowly introduce the whole grains. I was eating 1800 to 2000 calories when working out with a trainer twice a week and on my own 1 or twice a week. It varied. Now that I'm not, I don't see the point. Don't I have to keep a deficit of 500 calories to see some changes?

what does MFP give you when you set your weight loss to 0.5lbs per week?
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options

We have almost identical stats. I am 5’7”, 162, trying to get to 145. I’d suggest changing it to .5lb/week. I’m netting 1600 right now and still losing. I also walk a ton. Are you eating those walking calories back? If not, make sure that you do.

1200 is personally unachievable for me.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    founds like you cut your calories too fast and cutting carbs while it will "jumpstart" that is because it will be water weight and as soon as you reintroduce carbs you'll see a slight uptick

when you were eating 1800-2000 were you logging EVERYTHING?
  • superkitcat
    Options
    Daily at 0.5 per week
    1630 Calories
    204.0g carbs
    54.0g fat
    82.0g protein
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    much better and remember to eat back at least a portion of any workout calories
  • superkitcat
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »

We have almost identical stats. I am 5’7”, 162, trying to get to 145. I’d suggest changing it to .5lb/week. I’m netting 1600 right now and still losing. I also walk a ton. Are you eating those walking calories back? If not, make sure that you do.

No, I don't eat my calories back - I stick to the stats given above and I do walk 3.5Km 3 times a week. Ok - I will give it ago. Obviously what I'm doing isn't working. On the plus side, I have not gained any weight.
  • superkitcat
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »

No, I don't eat my calories back - I stick to the stats given above and I do walk 3.5Km 3 times a week. Ok - I will give it ago. Obviously what I'm doing isn't working. On the plus side, I have not gained any weight.

the calorie recommendations for MFP is designed for you to eat back at least a portion of your calories

OMG - I didn't know that. I thought that eating back your calories was defeating the purpose.