Pregnant and losing weight

Options
i am 5 1/2 weeks pregnant.
before pregnancy i weighed 241
when i found out i was pregnant i was 251 arount beginning of week 4!
So i have been on a strict diet of only fruits and vegetables and water and one day a week cheat day.
But have gained weight!!! im now 256!!!
what do i do? im thinking of maybe walking a min. of 3 miles a day.... idk i need help how do i loose weight!! im tired of being this way!

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    STOP!! Do not do this without talking with your doctor first! What you are doing could potentially be unhealthy for both you and your baby. You still need to take in enough calories every to continue to support your body and normal organ function plus now supporting the growth and development of the fetus. You also need sufficient nutrients for that including fats and protein. Please please please talk with your doctor before panicking and continuing a drastic diet.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Now is the time to think of what your body needs to sustain both you and the baby!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables and water don't provide the necessary protein or nutrient for the pregnancy. If you don't want to take care of yourself, at least consider taking care of your baby. This is not the best time to go on drastic fad diets.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am 6 weeks pregnant.
    before pregnancy i weighed 241
    when i found out i was pregnant i was 251 around beginning of week 4!
    So i have been on a strict diet of only fruits and vegetables and water and one day a week cheat day.
    But have gained weight!!! im now 256!!!
    what do i do? im thinking of maybe walking a min. of 3 miles a day.... idk i need help how do i loose weight!! im tired of being this way!!

You need to see your doctor, what you're doing is not healthy
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to talk to your doctor. Most women are supposed to gain weight during pregnancy and weight naturally fluctuates a few pounds during the course of a week for everyone.
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think it’s great that you want to eat healthy for your pregnancy, but I think you need to consult with your doctor and/or a nutritionist before attempting a low calorie diet while pregnant. Your body and your baby need a wide variety of nutrients, and you want to eat enough to keep you healthy and help your baby grow. You will need protein and fat to keep you healthy, and your medical team can help you with your diet. A low calorie, only fruit and vegetable diet is not sustainable for you and your child.

Some ladies are medically approved to maintain or lose weight while pregnant, but they work with their doctor to make sure it is healthy. Please be sure to take your prenatal vitamins, and eat a wide variety of foods.

Also, be aware that every body responds differently to pregnancy. Be patient and forgive yourself if your body does gain weight while pregnant—after all, that’s what it’s designed to do. Good luck and stay healthy.
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Second talking to your doctor, mine told me to not gain weight but don't try to lose too much either since baby needs nutrients to grow. Also, you have been doing this for a week? Even if you weren't pregnant that would be too soon to tell anything.

Sounds like you are limiting yourself way too much. I basically did the gestational diabetes meal plan even though I didn't have it since it focused on healthy foods.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,047 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

6. Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

I WILL:
    • I will allow members to share experiences without judgment. Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found on our Eating Disorder Resources page.
    • I will understand that people have a complicated relationship with food.

I WON'T:
    • I won’t use any aspect of our service to promote anorexia, bulimia or any unsafe dieting practices.
    • I won’t promote very low-calorie diets.
    • I won’t diagnose other members.

• Please note: Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low-calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this closed discussion may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Nova
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.