What's something you hate to hear?

Options
smms0714
smms0714 Posts: 68 Member
Part of my coworkers have been on WW for over a year now. I said I was going to work on losing some weight, and getting healthier. I thought with them using WW to lose weight they'd understand. Wrong. I got, "But you don't look that big." Ok first of all I weighed over 200lbs so yeah I was big. Second, what does how big I look have to do with being healthy. I've been using MFP over a month now, and I've lost around 13lbs. I still get, "I don't see what you're worried about, you're thin." Well, I'm overweight. My doctor doesn't hold back from telling me I'm overweight, and could stand to lose a few pounds. LOL I can't get through to them that this isn't about looks, it's about my health. I'm so over hearing, "But you don't look that big," and "But you look fine."

Replies

• grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hate to hear: “Your so tiny!” Or “what size are your pants?” I feel normal, no different than anyone else.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    'what's your secret??'
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    "I can't lose weight because...

...I'm too old"
    ...I'm menopausal."
    ...I have hypothyroidism."
    ...I have a slow metabolism."

"You're slim because you're lucky to have a fast metabolism."
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I could go on for paragraphs but (like others mentioned) the one that really gets me is "You're so lucky, I wish I could eat like you do and stay thin" on the off chance that I decide to indulge in anything in front of just about anyone. After losing 30+ lbs as a teenager (finally getting to a healthy weight) I've stayed within "Normal" BMI for the duration of my adult life (29M). As a former fat kid I can still put away appreciable portions of my favorite foods when I do choose to, however, it's usually not without comment from those who either didn't know me when I was younger and fatter or have no perspective of the amount of time and effort that goes into planning and executing my exercise and intake. I weigh myself daily, exercise 4-6 days/week, and diligently log and record every calorie I consume.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I hate to hear "I lost 35 lb in a month on (insert fad diet or product here)"
    because I know that with very very few exceptions...that person's not going to keep the weight off, and that sucks.

And to a lesser degree, I hate hearing the above because I feel like people think it's inferior to lose a lot of weight very slowly like I did. Like there's a medal for losing as much as possible each week.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    “You’re SO lucky to be naturally thin!”
    Uh....yeah, no.

Yaaaas. As if anything that requires persistence and discipline is something I could never do.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    "But it's (insert: losing weight, working out, staying in shape, doing anything physically demanding) easier for you!" Umm, no. It's not "easy" to get to the gym 5 days a week. It's just what I do. So that I can do things that I want to do.

Oh, and "Well, you're younger! Wait until you hit (40, 50, 60...) too!!" OK, so I passed 40. And 50. And for the record, what were you doing as you approached those milestones? This would be my oldest sister who spouts these off.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't get much many weird comments about my weight, but there was this one time when someone I met someone I used to know from school and she asked me how I managed to lose a lot of weight. I told her I counted calories, she looked disappointed and said "calories have been disproven, there must have been something else". I was tempted to think she was basically saying I was lying, but then reminded myself that it's not about me and that she's just frustrated and misinformed.
  • slw37
    slw37 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One dumb thing, when I was doing Weight Watchers a couple of years ago. When someone would post that they made goal, some moron would ALWAYS ask, "how'd you do it??" Um...maybe following the freakin' plan??? I don't know why some people are always looking for a magic bullet.

I can't imagine getting upset when a person says you don't look like you need to lose weight. Would you prefer they said "it's about time; you're a real pig?" It seems like a compliment to me, but what do I know.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Me: I’m weighing my food and counting calories.
    My sister: I have quit eating all bread, most dairy and eat low-carb. You should try that. (She was also taking human growth hormone for a while, and before that did apple cider vinegar)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,076 Member
    Options
    I am soooooooooo tired of hearing When are you due? I use to make up a date because I was embarrassed but now when others ask me I say I am not preggo just fat but I am doing something about it :)
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    From different people:

"You don't need to do all of <that>; just take some laxatives and eat only lettuce and you'll drop twenty pounds just like that (snaps fingers)."

"If you're really serious, I can get you some diet dust" (ie meth)

"Should you be eating/drinking that?"

"I hope you keep the weight off this time!"