I can't lift 2 days in a row because of soreness/cramping. Any advice?

Options
BigTandthesquatters
BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
edited April 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I lift weights for exercise 4 days a week this has been my routine for the last 8 months or so. There are times when my schedule has to put 2 of those days together. Problem is that the second workout really suffers because I am so sore and cramped. I mostly use Precor™ stations and do a circuit that is a mostly all body workout. I try to get 4-5 sets with 1-12 reps at a weight that is about 60-70% of what I could do one rep at. For example my max on BP is 140 lbs so I try and sets of 10-12 at 90-100lbs. I get my HR up and a sweat going. Afterwards I stretch drink tons of water. I also use supplements like Fish oil, Turmeric, Multi-vitamin. So what I am basically saying is working out 2 days in a row isn't effective. It is possible but like i stated that 2nd workout is a bummer if I go 2 days in a row. I am 50 years old weigh 395 lbs down from 515. Any advice would be helpful. Is it my age?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I find as long as I don't workout the same muscle group 2 days in a row it's all good.

So if you are benching on monday make sure you aren't doing upper on Tuesday...do lower.

Keep in mind I find that if I am sore (like I am today) from Deads on Tuesday....and it's squat day today...it helps with my soreness.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't know about the age being a factor, but congratulations on going from 515 to 395. That's a great accomplishment!
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You may not be recovering adequately. I lift 5 days/week (Sun-Tue, Thu & Fri) with 2 rest days, I make sure I do a proper warm-up and stretching afterwards, drinking plenty of water. I've heard that magnesium is good for recovery. BTW I'm a 52 y/o female powerlifter, so my lifts are not light.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    It is not generally recommended to do 2 days in a row of the same muscle group, so if you are doing full body lifting back to back, that is probably too much? On your back to back days can you split? Do one upper and one lower? So two full body, and two days of splits? Or you could do 3 days full body and 1 day a non lifting exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I lift weights for exercise 4 days a week this has been my routine for the last 8 months or so. There are times when my schedule has to put 2 of those days together. Problem is that the second workout really suffers because I am so sore and cramped. I mostly use Precor™ stations and do a circuit that is a mostly all body workout. I try to get 4-5 sets with 1-12 reps at a weight that is about 60-70% of what I could do one rep at. For example my max on BP is 140 lbs so I try and sets of 10-12 at 90-100lbs. I get my HR up and a sweat going. Afterwards I stretch drink tons of water. I also use supplements like Fish oil, Turmeric, Multi-vitamin. So what I am basically saying is working out 2 days in a row isn't effective. It is possible but like i stated that 2nd workout is a bummer if I go 2 days in a row. I am 50 years old weigh 395 lbs down from 515. Any advice would be helpful. Is it my age?

No, it's not your age. We're not supposed to work the same muscle group two days in a row - it needs time to recover.

So you could do splits as others suggested above or what about making the second day be a cardio day? Something no impact or low impact to be easier on your knees.

Congrats on your 120 pounds loss so far - that's awesome!
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Take some Aleve and rest.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hey there, I'm 58 and I can honestly tell you it's not your age. Be patient with yourself as it will still get better as you drop more weight. Some of what you experience will get better over time as your body continues to adapt to exercise. There is nothing wrong with all body workouts multiple days in a row. Soreness is merely due to not being as conditioned as you want to be, and it WILL GET BETTER. As long as you can keep good form and do not have systematic fatigue (depressed, lack of sleep, low immunity so getting sick often, lethargic, etc) you can still workout when sore.

Splits are spending the whole workout on a body part, with that much work a day off is needed but it's automatically built in since the next day the whole workout is the next body part. Even so, certain muscles are still worked every day in splits because you never really work the primary muscle only, but it's primary for sure. All body workouts only do 1-2 exercises of say that one primary muscle in done in the splits, where the split routine it's all 8-12 exercises of all the same primary muscle group, so more of a rest is needed, does that make sense?

Make sure you get enough protein as that can cause your muscles to ache if not enough, .8 to 1.2 grams of your goal body weight is the correct amount. Maybe with your issues the higher end is best while still keeping calories in check.

Also, part of what you are experiencing is a "catch 22" that happens to us when we still have too much body fat. It's stress on your body. I don't know your height, but that is the biggest determinate of what your body weight range should be, most likely you still have over 100 pounds to lose right? So, think of it like this, that weight that is excess, it's a huge back pack you are carrying 24x7. Just getting out of bed and moving around the house is work with that on, not to mention the work still on your internal organs.

So, just stay on your path. It's okay if you can't workout some days. The calorie deficit which you already proved works for you is still the biggest priority. Keep doing it and never stop until you reach your goal.

Once you get to say under 200 pounds or so, you will notice a huge difference in how everything in your body works. For me, my chronic fatigue symptoms went away, my health markers got better, and my chronic back pain, arthritis, and a huge amount of other issues went away. Something similar will likely happen for you.

Stay in touch with your doctor through all this as they will know your issues better than any of us out in the internet land.

Keep up the good work! You are doing great!

Roberta

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    don't work the same muscle group two days in a row and do your stretches and maybe a foam roller and you should be fine. staying hydrated helps
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Another vote for working different muscle groups on consecutive days. You can split your full body workout so you do upper body on day 1 and lower body on day 2. But really, I had nothing to add to the conversation except CONGRATULATIONS on your amazing progress so far!