When the work finally starts to pay off....but no one notices

Options
2»

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I didn’t read the other posts but I would never bring up weight loss unless it was my absolute best friend. I don’t feel like acknowledging body shape is really appropriate? Just my thought.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    I didn’t read the other posts but I would never bring up weight loss unless it was my absolute best friend. I don’t feel like acknowledging body shape is really appropriate? Just my thought.

Same here. Unless the difference is really really obvious.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I've already posted on this thread a couple of times, but just wanted to chime in that some people are afraid to comment because it can be offensive, or they have had bad experiences with it in the past. I know a couple of years ago I told a coworker that he looked like he'd lost some weight and he seemed super uncomfortable with my comment. I wouldn't do that again.

When my ex husband was diagnosed with a thyroid condition, he had VERY rapidly lost about 70 lb (down from 350-ish) - of course he needed to lose weight - but not that way, as he'd lost a lot of muscle and felt really terrible. People would say to him, "You look great man! Finally taking care of yourself!" while actually, he was very sick and weak. He would tell them as much and they would feel awkward & embarrassed. In a way, I felt bad for them but mostly I felt bad for him!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I've already posted on this thread a couple of times, but just wanted to chime in that some people are afraid to comment because it can be offensive, or they have had bad experiences with it in the past. I know a couple of years ago I told a coworker that he looked like he'd lost some weight and he seemed super uncomfortable with my comment. I wouldn't do that again.

When my ex husband was diagnosed with a thyroid condition, he had VERY rapidly lost about 70 lb (down from 350-ish) - of course he needed to lose weight - but not that way, as he'd lost a lot of muscle and felt really terrible. People would say to him, "You look great man! Finally taking care of yourself!" while actually, he was very sick and weak. He would tell them as much and they would feel awkward & embarrassed. In a way, I felt bad for them but mostly I felt bad for him!

This happened to me in college. I praised a friend endlessly when I saw her after summer break. Turns out she had developed terrible anorexia in France. And I had just applauded it. That whole year in the dorms was hard.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,508 Member
    Options
    I am about at the same point in my journey as you. Nobody has noticed. I just asked my husband before I hoped on the computer if he could see a difference. He said he sees me every day so he wouldn’t notice the changes. Makes sense! I agree with a lot of the others, that people don’t like to talk about weight. It is a sensitive subject. Congrats on your journey so far!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    akern1987 wrote: »
    I know external validation isn't what it's about, it's about my journey to health, but it's a little tough to stay motivated when my progress feels so insignificant.

Congrats on your 30 lb loss! Surely you have noticed changes in how your clothes fit, your measurements, and possibly even your progress pics. These are things needed to mesure your progress and help keep you motivated. Don't label your progress as insignificant just because others are not observant enough to notice or not comfortable commenting.