Chronic pain and weight loss

Options
Hi...My name is Laurie and I have had chronic pain and depression for 20 years....I am on some pain medication but the lowest dose that I have ever been on. It has been a very long road and now I really need/should lose at 80 lbs. I was just wondering if there is some one with the same problem that I have. Or a group for MFP with chronic pain...thank you!

Replies

• debraah66
    debraah66 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes I have chronic pain in my back and knees and neck. I also have IC and other health issues. I've been trying to exercise what I can and I wake up in the morning hurting so bad from just doing a little bit. I want to be able to walk more than just a few minutes at a time again and it is so frustrating. I have to walk where I can take a lot of breaks. I'd also like to find some friends on here to get some support.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have found that restricting refined sugar really helps my old joints--may not be a cure but if I have a couple of sugar high days I feel it. I have been using basic stretches for lower back and that helps. Decided that I really can't jump into a fitness routine I could have had 40 years ago so I am just working on steady improvement so for me it is stretches, walking, light weights.
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For anyone suffering from chronic pain related to inflammation, Boswellia may help.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with chronic pain and depression since adolescence. As it happens, the two are connected. Chronic pain is depressing! Joined MFP in 2016 & lost ~60 lbs. I've been lazy lately--I log but I'm not doing well with exercise or staying under my calorie--and I put 30 back on...Tomorrow I start working on increasing exercise and decreasing calories...

Add me if you like.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I’m only 30 and i have arthritis in my back. Constant debilitating pain. I’m 5’10” and 275. I horseback rode competitively for 15 years (and 80 pounds ago) - now I’m paying for it. Besides pain meds and and muscle relaxers , there isn’t much i can do besides lose weight- every doctors favorite comment “just lose the weight”

Been consuming 1200 calories daily and working out 6/7 days. For 6 weeks. Only lost 4 pounds. Beyond frustrated and disheartened. Now I’ve been told I’m not eating enough (first time hearing that) so i bumped it to 1600 calories. We’ll see.

I feel like if i don’t lose the weight I’ll be in a wheel chair or addicted to meds. This life sucks.

Did you put your stats in mfp to see what it gives you? Are you weighing your food on a good scale and logging accurately ? 1600 sounds much more reasonable than 1200, especially if you’re logging accurately. You’re off to a good start, now it’s time to fine tune.
  • Bopo_Amy
    Bopo_Amy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am willing to offer support and encouragement. I have invisible illness issues myself and know the struggle.
  • CharlizeGraves
    CharlizeGraves Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am in my 30s and have had chronic pain for 15 years. I have fibromyalgia, Ehlers Danlos syndrome hypermobility type. Anybody is free to add me as a friend! I’m on here regularly 🙌🤗✨
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I am in my 30s and have had chronic pain for 15 years. I have fibromyalgia, Ehlers Danlos syndrome hypermobility type. Anybody is free to add me as a friend! I’m on here regularly 🙌🤗✨

Hey EDS friend! I didn't even know EDS existed until my early 30's...and then I was, like, OMG! That explains EVERYTHING! Migraines, sleep problems, depression...oh yeah, and chronic joint pain + random joint dislocation. Boy, does EDS suck!
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    Options
    I have chronic pain. I exercise when I can, and if it’s too painful, I give myself a break but continue to eat within my calorie budget.
  • libertylabrake
    libertylabrake Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 32 5'5" and 330lbs. Ive struggled w bertolotti syndrome and now have severe nerve impingement and a cyst in a spinal nerve root. AKA in a lot of back pain.

I know weight loss is solution, but been almost bedridden for 3 weeks now. Its getting better by God's healing, but only able to sit in 2-4 hr increments thus far.

I have done a lot of self reflecting during this past few weeks and know if i dont take weight loss, and my health seriously, it is going to only get worse.

Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated. My highest 4 years ago was 368, and i lost to 297... then i quit working out due to pain and lack of accountability, and ive gained half back.

Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
    Lib
  • MrsEddie2611
    MrsEddie2611 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I have Fibro, type 2 diabetes, CFS, Diverticular disease, Hypermobility, pernicious anaemia, arthritis and chronic Migraines. I have found giving up processed carbohydrates and foods high in refined sugar has really helped. So I don't really touch things like bread, pasta, rice, noodles, any processed foods, ready meals etc. Chocolate, cakes, biscuits, crisp, fun, life ha ha. If I do have any if these foods they make me feel very ill after. I'm also non alcohol nowadays due to medications, and that has helped immensely, hangovers used to be a killer.

I really have to think is it worth it eating that food for the way it makes me feel. I recommend everyone to start a diary of how they feel daily, and see if they can link it to the food they eat, if I eat foods high in processed carbs I feel like I have a hangover the next day that lasts for a few days, and my body hurts like I have been hit by a truck. Not to mention what it does to my stomach. Obviously everyones different, but if your in pain and suffering anything's worth a try right.
  • healingwmark
    healingwmark Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I got diagnosed with Afib of Auguest 2018 and was pretty much told I would die if i didn't change my life. One week of getting out of the hospital I had my first Sciatica flare up and was crippled for a week. Every time I thought I was getting better I would have another flare up...this went on until December when I couldn't take it anymore. It was either I do something or just let me die.... I started water aerobics which helped so much. Exercise that used to be excruciating was so much easier in the water. You'd be surprise how challenging the water can be and I highly recommend it for anyone dealing with chronic pain. I also wouldn't mind connecting if anyone wants to send out a friend request. Sometimes chronic pain can get lonely :neutral:
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I have Fibro, type 2 diabetes, CFS, Diverticular disease, Hypermobility, pernicious anaemia, arthritis and chronic Migraines. I have found giving up processed carbohydrates and foods high in refined sugar has really helped. So I don't really touch things like bread, pasta, rice, noodles, any processed foods, ready meals etc. Chocolate, cakes, biscuits, crisp, fun, life ha ha. If I do have any if these foods they make me feel very ill after. I'm also non alcohol nowadays due to medications, and that has helped immensely, hangovers used to be a killer.

I really have to think is it worth it eating that food for the way it makes me feel. I recommend everyone to start a diary of how they feel daily, and see if they can link it to the food they eat, if I eat foods high in processed carbs I feel like I have a hangover the next day that lasts for a few days, and my body hurts like I have been hit by a truck. Not to mention what it does to my stomach. Obviously everyones different, but if your in pain and suffering anything's worth a try right.

OMG, EDSers like me! All my MFP friends are sharing their exercise diaries with 10k steps and runs and weight lifting, and I'm all, heeeey, I'm under 1000 steps again...

I'm trying to boost my daily movements because intense workouts are not possible for me right now.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    @melaniedscott I was diagnosed with EDS in my 30s, too. Explains my lifelong chronic pain. EDS does suck!
  • thatjodiegirl
    thatjodiegirl Posts: 95 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I am 47 years old, and I have severe hip arthritis. I began this journey in September of 2018 at 206.5 pounds. I am now down to 170 pounds, and have 20 more to go to reach goal weight. I eat between 1200 and 1300 calories per day, and go to the gym 4 days a week most weeks. Some days are harder than others, but I push through.

Dropping 35 pounds has helped with the pain some. I think eating healthier foods has helped it, as well. Still, I'm not 100% pain free.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My weight compounded my issues. I've lost over 30 lbs, and need another 60 lbs but I sleep better and my hips don't hurt at night. Now if I could only fix my tailbone pain :(
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I had phn (shingles pain) on top of fibro, cfs, arthritis, etc. I had trouble just walking around, thought I would never exercise again. I found it was easier for me to do short bouts of easy things I enjoy doing than to try an exercise routine. My body doesn’t fight back. Like when a good song comes on, just turn up the radio and dance one song. I also highly recommend water exercising. I am 5’ 10”, started at 260. My body reacts better with 1500-1600 calories a day. I am not particular about fat and carbs, but try to keep protein about 15-20 grams per meal, unless I am having one of those STARVING days, then I may up it to 20-25 grams just for the day. I try to avoid sugar, mostly because of the pain it causes, but also because it helps me stay satisfied with fewer calories.
    These are just a few of the things that I have found help me.
    I agree you have to use trial and error to find what works for you. There is some good advice in this thread. Hope you find some good ideas. Just try to find what works best for you. Good luck!
  • thatjodiegirl
    thatjodiegirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad someone started a thread about chronic pain and weight loss. Let's keep it going and encourage and educate one another. I'm always eager to learn new tips and tricks.