“Thinner, Leaner, Stronger” - your thoughts?

whmscll
whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
I’ve done a lot of reading on MFP and have Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women. I’ve had to modify their lifting programs because I’m a beginner just starting to build strength and because I have low back issues. And I have learned a ton about proper nutrition for recomp (which is what I’m doing) from these books and on MFP. What does this book offer above what I’ve mentioned? Do you have to follow the nutrition and workout programs exactly?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I'm not a fan of the program in that book as I think it is unnecessarily fussy/complicated/split up for a beginner. I would stick with one of the others that you mentioned. Two other programs that I think are good are the A Workout Routine beginner program and Fierce 5 beginner program (both google-able and the latter has a dumbbell variation that may be helpful if you need to sub out some exercises.)

As far as nutrition, you don't need to eat a specific diet for any program. You can eat what you'd like, within your goal parameters.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I read it, and didn't love it. I didn't care for their writing style, and the tone that it took/presumed, and couldn't get past that.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    NROL has a newer book for women, Strong.

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/

It's written to be easily adaptable for beginners. They have solid nutritional advice. I have read both books (although NROLFW was many years ago) and I'd strongly recommend Strong to a beginner or even an intermediate lifter. It is a well written, comprehensive balanced program. It is a 3 day full body routine, which is excellent for beginners.

Also I'm doing Strong Curves now, which I also like. It's a shorter program (12 weeks, vs 9-10 months), but it also offers a beginner, advanced, and bodyweight only program in the book, which might be nice as well. The nutritional information also seems pretty solid.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    NROL has a newer book for women, Strong.

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/

It's written to be easily adaptable for beginners. They have solid nutritional advice. I have read both books (although NROLFW was many years ago) and I'd strongly recommend Strong to a beginner or even an intermediate lifter. It is a well written, comprehensive balanced program. It is a 3 day full body routine, which is excellent for beginners.

Also I'm doing Strong Curves now, which I also like. It's a shorter program (12 weeks, vs 9-10 months), but it also offers a beginner, advanced, and bodyweight only program in the book, which might be nice as well. The nutritional information also seems pretty solid.

I've been loving NROLFW. Do you think Strong would be a good follow up to that, or would I be replicating a lot?