Gaind 3kg in 3 days, how?

Options
I been losing weight slowly and this week got down to 94kg. I had a cheat day this week and to my supprise I gained 3 kg. I had some bad streaks in the last couple months but never gained more than 1kg in a week and I did not eat that mutch, barely 1500 more calorie than usual. I also have to point out that I do weight training for almost a year now. Can it be that I gained 3kg of muscle in 3 days?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    you didn't gain 3kg of muscle nor fat, it's likely mostly (All) water retention from the extra food (or extra carbs or extra salt).

stay the course and it will adjust.

weight loss is NOT a straight line, it won't be showing a reduction daily. it goes up and down based on water retentition and many other factors but it's all temporary.
  • Calildur
    Calildur Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I usually try to monitor every change and this is the most extreme one in the last 6 month. I hope you're right. 3kg is more than 4 week of work, losing that would be very dissapointing. My current goal is 92kg as in one of the BMI calculator I done that would mean I'm in the normal category. Than again another calculator says I should be 86 so it's not a big deal because on the long run I want to reshape my body completly. Thanks for the help!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    extra carbs and sodium from your cheat day means you're retaining water.

why would someone flag this??
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    if its water weight, which is likely is, it'll go back down in a couple of days
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    3g8n3iq87ygz.png

guess which day i had a higher sodium meal...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options

I've seen some weird and wonderful things flagged lately wondering if people are catching it accidentally in the app version? If not people have some funny ideas about what constitutes abuse,
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I've seen some weird and wonderful things flagged lately wondering if people are catching it accidentally in the app version? If not people have some funny ideas about what constitutes abuse,

The dictator has spoken! No more accidental flaggings!

• Calildur
    Calildur Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Calildur wrote: »
    I usually try to monitor every change and this is the most extreme one in the last 6 month. I hope you're right. 3kg is more than 4 week of work, losing that would be very dissapointing. My current goal is 92kg as in one of the BMI calculator I done that would mean I'm in the normal category. Than again another calculator says I should be 86 so it's not a big deal because on the long run I want to reshape my body completly. Thanks for the help!

If you have been at this for 6 months it is time to move from hoping that everything is okay to knowing the math. For you to gain 1kg of fat it takes about 7700 calories. That is 7700 calories OVER your maintenance calories. How likely is it that you ate your maintenance calories PLUS over 23,000 calories more? I would say it is highly unlikely.

If you do not know how many calories you ate on your "cheat" day now is a good time to start logging all days even if you have to put in some likely guesses. This will help you understand your scale better and completely rule out the notion that you actually reversed your progress by 3kg.

I been doing this for a year, and first I logged everything. I know I should keep logging it, but I just got tired of it. I know roughly how much I eat, and I definietly didn't eat 23.000 calorie plus. Yet so far I never had such a swing in weight. Usually I check my weight on monday and I keep that weight for the week and usually 1-2 day before the next weight in I lose 0.5-1.5 kg. On the winter I ate much more loose and I kept gaining and losing 1 kg. Yet now when I ate just a little bit more I see 3kg difference, which is weird, but I accept that it's mostly water. Will find out next monday. I'll update this post then.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I do not have big swings very often but they do happen.

You do not have to log to stay in a deficit so if you are comfortable with your system it really comes down to whatever works. If it stops then you may have to do something different.

I like knowing for sure so I prefer to log. It also helps me avoid scale drama which I experienced quite a bit for too long.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Calildur wrote: »

It's water weight and more inherent waste in your system and/or maybe your batteries in your scale could be going. Mathematically, you absolutely cannot gain 3 Kg of actual fat in 3 days.

My weight typically fluctuates a pound or two day to day, but occasionally I do get higher swings. They happen.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    The same way I managed to gain two pounds of weight over the past two days and lose all two pounds of it today. Water weight.