A Gassy Question

Options
Lesliecs
Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
So I love the new Fiber 1 bars and the Fiber 1 Brownies, but I (and a coworker of mine) have both experienced an unpleasant side effect from eating them. It is called GAS! I'm not talking about a little gas..... I'm talking about a feeling bloated and uncomfortable and don't come near me gas! :noway:

I am assuming it's from all the fiber. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? And I guess my question is, does your body get used to it after eating them for awhile? I'd really like to continue to eat them if it eventually goes away, but if not..... it's bad enough that I'll have nothing to do with them! :sad:

What say you fellow MFP friends?

Replies

• Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I experienced the same issues at the beginning but my body got used to it...I want to say it takes a while for your body to adjust...other than that, I love my Fiber One bars, muffins and cereal and have them everyday.. :wink:
  • Sarw27
    Sarw27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't think fibre has ever made me feel bloated and gassy. I usually feel pretty good after eating fibre... so not sure what it is about those bars, but I've heard they're actually not very good for you.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    While I think they're very tasty, they give me the worst stomach pains. I haven't touched them since. :P
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    My body never got used to them. I had to cut them out all together. Terrible bloat!
  • cameralinds
    Options
    http://www.pleasegodno.com/archives/66-Fiber-One-Bars-make-me-Fart.html

That's a funny blog about the bars. What percentage of fiber bars are you eating? I started with the highest one, 55% I think... and experienced the same problem. I eat the 20% ones and they almost taste just as good, with a lot less of the gassy problems.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, (with a nod from my Dr.) I found Activia and Beano actually do help a lot with gas caused by the fiber increase in my diet.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    farts = comedy gold
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Depends what;'s in the bars. According to my in-house expert, mixing protein and carbs (like with beans on toast) is what's worst for 'bottom-burping'
  • tcheryl
    tcheryl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i love them but usually eat them for an evening snack--i don't have the bloating but definitely have the gas! you can get rid of the stuff early morning hopefully before you go to work.
  • tifffanyD
    tifffanyD Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My body never got used to them. I found out it's the chicory root which is the fiber additive. My body does not process it fast enough so it ferments/rots in my system during the digestive process... producing the gas of death. Now I have to check labels for that (Kashi go lean uses it too :((( )
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah really bad gas!

The other day I 2 of the brownies at lunch, and I went to the gym later that afternoon. Man the gas was so bad, I was like I don't think I can work out. Just before I got started working out good, the music got turned up really loud. I was like yes this will be my opportunity to let some out without anyone knowing. I will just do it to the beat of the music. So I was on the treadmill walking away, and was letting out like crazy. Never been that bad before. After a few minutes go by I look around and all these people were staring at me and a few were laughing at me. I was like surely they didn't hear me, but then I realized I had my earphones on and my ipod playing. EMBARRASSING!! Just a little joke I heard once, changed it up a bit.

Seriously, in the beginning gas is really bad with high in fiber diets, but it eventually gets better. Or at least it did for me.
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    I've had the same problems with the cereal. Haven't tried the brownies. I recently bought the Fiber One 80 Calorie cereal though because I was able to get it for 88 cents after a coupon LOL. we we will see it has like 10g of fiber in it....I'm scared, but going to give it another go. Worst case is I will mix it half and half with another cereal.
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well stinky it like this......