Sausage Peppers and Onions

Options
dechowj
dechowj Posts: 148 Member
How do you prepare "sausage peppers and onions"? It is a big debate in my family right now what is the proper way to make this.

I boil the sausages and then add the sliced peppers and onions to the pot when the sausages are almost cooked through. Then I serve it on Italian bread.

My mother-in-law fries everything in oil and then serves it on Italian bread.

But then my mother grills the sausage, microwaves the peppers and onions, and serves it on hot dog buns with ketchup and mustard too.

I'm just curious how others make this and how you might tweek it to better fit your calorie counts.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Your mother-in-law is correct on this one.. at least how I do it..
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a proper way, you just have to go with what you are comfortable with. I don't eat this like a sandwich to save the carbs, so this may not be what you are going for here. But, I cook chopped peppers & onions in a little olive oil. I guess you could use Pam-type spray, but I prefer to go with the real thing. Olive oil is healthy in moderation. :) I use pre-cooked chicken sausages, slice them into about 1/2" pieces & add them to the peppers & onions long enough to heat through.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Your mother in law has it right. The vegetables are always sauteed in oil. The sausage can either be grilled or cooked in a pan. The best way to tweak the calories is to limit the amount of sausage and to grill the vegetables instead of sauteeing them.

When you say that you add the vegetables to the sausage after boiling, do you mean that you boil everything or are you starting the sausage in a small amount of water and then letting that water evaporate off (meaning that the sausage ultimately ends up sauteeing in the rendered fat)? If the former, don't do that. Boiled sausage, peppers, and onions doesn't sound all that appealing.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    The proper way to cook is the way you like it. Personally, I like to grill the sausages but cook the onions and peppers in a bit of oil. Boiled peppers and onions sounds sad and disappointing.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    paniolo5 wrote: »
    I don't think there is a proper way, you just have to go with what you are comfortable with. I don't eat this like a sandwich to save the carbs, so this may not be what you are going for here. But, I cook chopped peppers & onions in a little olive oil. I guess you could use Pam-type spray, but I prefer to go with the real thing. Olive oil is healthy in moderation. :) I use pre-cooked chicken sausages, slice them into about 1/2" pieces & add them to the peppers & onions long enough to heat through.

This is exactly how I do it. When my kids were young, they loved this dish on top of pasta or rice. We never had it as a sandwich. I now saute extra vegetables like spinach and arugula with the onions, peppers and sausages. Sometimes I cook small potatoes or sweet potatoes as added starch.

@dechowj Don't worry how your mother, friends or in-laws prepare certain dishes, unless your really like their ways. There is not right or wrong, just personal preference. Do your own thing.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    I do a Cajun version.

I pan fry alligator sausage, peppers, and onions with a little olive oil, then add a bottle of a stout beer and let simmer
    Boil red potatoes in crab boil and then mash with some horseradish sauce

Sound delish
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Now days, I pan fry Italian style, turkey sausage in a dry non-stick pan. Add the veggies and red pepper flakes, cook a few minutes more, keeping the veggies a little crisp. Eat.

Before, the same except used oil, regular Italian sausage, and served on a toasted, buttered, hoagie bun.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I fry potato slices in a bit of olive oil,adding sliced sausage,peppers & onion about half way thru.
    Move the potatoes to one side,giving meat & veggies room to meet up. Supper today with green salad.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    This thread has inspired me to grill up some homemade beef sausages I made a couple of months ago and fry up some peppers this weekend!
  • daisies_and_kittens
    daisies_and_kittens Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was taught you fry everything in olive oil. It's an Italian thing.
  • leblancdawn
    leblancdawn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Grill the sausage and pan fry the onions and peppers. But most people fry everything.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    9daioptgp507.jpg
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    this thread is making me hungry
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Sauté hot Italian sausage in a bit of olive oil. Remove and set aside. Add sliced onion and peppers with a pinch of salt. Sauté until tender. The salt will draw water from the veggies and deglaze the pan. Add the sausage and heat through.

m7gquyrxyxh4.jpg
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Fry...no oil then add a bit of water, boil for 5 minutes then add purple sauerkraut and simmer......sorry.....German roots :D
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I cook it all in my black skillet in the oven. One pan no fuss.
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    MIL is correct.

I do it in the oven on a cookie sheet. I slice the peppers and onions and cut sausagw into thirds. I toss with EVOO and crushed garlic.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Around here, upstate NY, the best sausage and peppers is grilled by the vendors at the county fair. Industrial strength.