Lunch on the go Ideas needed

Options
I am a college student at the local University and have classes twice a week from 8- 330. I need some ideas for food to bring with me, because 1.) food at school isn't always the best for you and 2.) It's expensive. So I need some ideas for food that I can carry with me (doesn't need refrigerating for about 5 hours). Any help would be great. Thanks

Replies

• spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you'll have access to a microwave, but I really like the Healthy Choice Steamers for situations like that.
  • KimberlyDenice
    Options
    I need ideals on this one too. I work all day at a restaurant...:(
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Cook up some fish or chicken breast season however, and chop up a bit of veggies, zip lock back it all up in the same bag. I this or bringing some hard boiled eggs with me a great solution.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    First off get yourself a good lunch system. There are several that are handy and come with insulated bags (we use EasyLunchbox.com but if I could afford it I'd totally get Planetbox.com Lunchboxes -- we also use a lot of Lock&Lock containers and they are great!). Then get yourself a wide mouth thermos. I have found that if you like using your lunch system you'll be more prone to actually bring it with you every day.

This is a list of things I pack for my kids:

http://jaabeemom.blogspot.com/2010/04/lunch-and-snack-ideas-for-g.html

Since you can bring nuts, it's good to include those as well. And of course when all else fails, leftovers!
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    so making sandwiches or wraps has always worked for me :) about 300 cals usually

orr...make small pots of rice and add meat and/or veggies

salad is an option although i'm not a fan myself ;p

sometimes i make extra dinner the night before and put it in a container or just use whatevers left if there is any!
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Flat Out healthy flatbread wraps (100 cal), hummus, a couple slices of lean ham and an ounce of your favorite reduced fat cheese. That's my favorite on-the-go lunch - 250 calories of yummy!
  • Misty1777
    Options
    bump
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you! I have class from 1:30 to 8:30 every tuesday without a breakI I am not a huge sandwich person so it makes it hard! I bought a really pretty lunch kit ( 10 dollars winners) that looks kind of like a purse and some containers just in case I wanted to bring something with a little ice pack (2 dollars walmart).

I am going to try and do what we do with the brownies when we send them on the ferry and take lots of nibbly things that are healthy so for example I might take a few of the following:

Cheese stick, Grilled Chicken, Cut up veggies, Hummous or tzatziki, an apple with almond butter, All bran cookie bar, triscuit thins, rice cake with light laughing cow cheese, trail mix, popcorn, Tuna salad (made with light mayo and filled with minced veggies!! awesome on crackers, tortillas etc) Lettuce to wrap up tuna salad or chicken instead of tortilla, home made low fat muffins, quinoa salad with minced veggies, salad rolls (SO YUMMY!!!). These are a few things that came to me off the top of my head!

If I want something hot I can always go get a soup from the cafe!

This thread has some good ideas (not all of them though) - http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=lunch+to+go

Let me know if you need any more recipe ideas!
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I make soup in bulk for my hubby and freeze it, then he thaws it out the day before to take with him for lunches...

Leftovers is always a good option...

sandwiches of all sorts, string cheese, home made granola bars, tuna sanwiches (really like it with mayo, mustard and cut up apples mixed with a little bit of red wine vinegar)..its tough. Im having the same problem this semester!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I work 8:30-4:30. I have a fridge and microwave, but am always looking for other ideas! I get sick of sandwiched and frozen meals. I don't have leftovers to bring because I usually make just enough (or my hubby eats it in the middle of the night).
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Oh and this is a good recipe for on the go... super yummy, and can be eaten cold!
    I add italian to mine because I like it better

http://www.mexgrocer.com/273-blackbeanricesalad.html
  • mkupartist
    mkupartist Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheeses don't need to be refrigerated. I like having them with Stacy's pita chips.
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    I like to make salads, portion out nuts for snacks, wasa bread (crackers) and laughing cow cheese, I also portion fruit as well.:flowerforyou:
  • kbarry90
    kbarry90 Posts: 48
    Options
    bump
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are portable and tasty at room temperature. It's one of the few non-garbage things I was able to find at a C-store yesterday. That and some so-so fruit.