Skin infections while losing weight

Options
quozie
quozie Posts: 10 Member
edited April 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Haa anyone found that they are prone to staff infections after losing a considerable amount of weight from diet alone? I have had skin tags for sometime and since losing 25kgs (50+lbs) I am finding they are becoming infected and boils are occurring with one needing to be drained due to size. I am not diabetic and never had this issue previously. Obviously uncomfortable and sore, I have just bought an antibacterial wash to try and minimise their dominance in areas of my body. Any suggestions from others who have experienced this? I eat plenty of veg and keep to very little do no processed foods.

Replies

• Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need to go to your doctor straight away. Good luck.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My experience has been the opposite, eating a lower carb diet (I am diabetic) and losing a lot of weight made my previous skin conditions clear up. Definitely see a doctor.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add to the chorus that is saying to go to your doctor. Skin infections, in general, aren't especially normal - especially not what you're describing. I've lost 60 pounds gradually and have never had a skin infection.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I have had a fair amount of unpleasant skin issues. Not quite the same as you. I discussed it with my doctor and after following his recommendation everything has been better for the last 2 months.

I tend to use understated language so by unpleasant I mean quite horrible and often struggle to sleep because of pain.

Please consult your doctor. If you are losing a large amount of weight like me it needs to be managed and my issues may have nothing in common with the cause of yours.

When I say your weight loss needs to be managed I do not just mean your skin. It is helpful to have regular check-up and blood work. I am on a few supplements that my blood showed low on that do help me feel better overall most of the time. Personally as much as I dislike going I really do not want to get to the end of major weight loss and something else had been wrong the whole time and die anyway.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this. See your doctor asap!
  • talkinghead86
    talkinghead86 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier (ie. avoiding too much processed sugar), exercising and losing weight always help keep my skin in check (ie. body acne).

Your issue is most likely outside of weight/diet.

tip - washing with Hibiclens (a liquid antimicrobial skin soap) wouldn't hurt.
  • quozie
    Options
    I have had a fair amount of unpleasant skin issues. Not quite the same as you. I discussed it with my doctor and after following his recommendation everything has been better for the last 2 months.

I tend to use understated language so by unpleasant I mean quite horrible and often struggle to sleep because of pain.

Please consult your doctor. If you are losing a large amount of weight like me it needs to be managed and my issues may have nothing in common with the cause of yours.

When I say your weight loss needs to be managed I do not just mean your skin. It is helpful to have regular check-up and blood work. I am on a few supplements that my blood showed low on that do help me feel better overall most of the time. Personally as much as I dislike going I really do not want to get to the end of major weight loss and something else had been wrong the whole time and die anyway.

I've been seeing my Dr over other issues related to my weight, these (infections) have gone crazy between visits. I will definitely be bringing it up on my next (very soon) visit. Blood are a regular check and everything appears to be ok. I have more bloods to do this week, had to wait for new meds to take over from precious script. Thanks for the feedback, appreciate your share
  • quozie
    Options
    Eating healthier (ie. avoiding too much processed sugar), exercising and losing weight always help keep my skin in check (ie. body acne).

Your issue is most likely outside of weight/diet.

tip - washing with Hibiclens (a liquid antimicrobial skin soap) wouldn't hurt.

Got that from the chemist yesterday. I thought the same, although it's getting cooler, I still get perspiration in the affected area.
    I stay away from sugars and try to avoid processed foods.
    Thanks for your insight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Happy to hear that you went to the doctor and got treated. Good luck to you. :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update, OP. I'm always curious about medical mysteries...Glad you've got it all figured out! B)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    quozie wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.
    FYI,
    Dr's confirmed its not from weight loss. General staff infection that went crazy. Was force fed antibiotics intravenously for 2x5 days and now 2 weeks capsules. Chasing up nicely, admittedly I was concerned ood nutritional reasons, pleased to say I can continue with my current duet regime.
    Thanks again

Yikes! Glad you were diagnosed and treated before it got even worse.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Glad it has gotten better. This is why I didn't want to tell you what my doctor had me doing (which was the hibiclens) for fear we were not suffering from the same thing and we were not.
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you are on the road to recovery!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Phew!