5K for a friend............

Options
Ok, so I am not a runner....but my friend who has breast cancer is doing a Komen 5K run/walk and I want to support her....how far is 5K and any tips before & on race day would be great.

Replies

• lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    It's about 3 miles - I did the Race For Life in June with my friend who is currently being treated for breast cancer and we walked it in about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am not a runner....but my friend who has breast cancer is doing a Komen 5K run/walk and I want to support her....how far is 5K and any tips before & on race day would be great.

5 K is 5 Kilometers which is 3.125 miles.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    5k is 3.1 miles like stated above...the only tip I can give you is to take it slow and run what you can, walk what you can....start towards the back of the pack though as to not get in the way of the people who are running.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    ok.....Im glad it is a run/walk :)
  • mistyb47711
    Options
    5k is 3.1 miles like stated above...the only tip I can give you is to take it slow and run what you can, walk what you can....start towards the back of the pack though as to not get in the way of the people who are running.

Thanks Joe....what about anything eating wise and drinking before ??
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much time you have but you can look into c25k.com and become a runner. It's AWESOME!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Races for the Cure are really great! Good cause and always well run. Go, support your friend, walk or run as you feel comfortable (I loved Couch to 5K too!) but if you don't have time, don't be intimated. You will feel great when you are done.

Good luck to you and your friend and you just might come out of it a runner!!:drinker:
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Races for the Cure are really great! Good cause and always well run. Go, support your friend, walk or run as you feel comfortable (I loved Couch to 5K too!) but if you don't have time, don't be intimated. You will feel great when you are done.

Good luck to you and your friend and you just might come out of it a runner!!:drinker:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned C25K, it is a great tool. I did the program last fall and now I'm working toward running a 1/2 marathon...it is a great place to start!
  • kathiehughes
    kathiehughes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water day before but go easy morning of run, stretch really well especially lower body before and after running, keep steps low almost like skiing or skating, don't high step it and try to breath slow and deep in through nose out through the mouth. Walk for a few mins if you get tired then run again. Don't try to run too fast or you will wear yourself out early on. 5k is 3.1 miles. I did a couch to 5k starting in Oct of last year and did my first 5k in Mar. this year. Have done 4 5k's 1 5 miler and 1 10k. Getting ready to do another 10k sept. 10 and training for a half marathon I plan to do Nov. 5 if I can be ready. half marathon is 13.1 miles. Good luck on your 5k.
  • mistyb47711
    Options
    Drink plenty of water day before but go easy morning of run, stretch really well especially lower body before and after running, keep steps low almost like skiing or skating, don't high step it and try to breath slow and deep in through nose out through the mouth. Walk for a few mins if you get tired then run again. Don't try to run too fast or you will wear yourself out early on. 5k is 3.1 miles. I did a couch to 5k starting in Oct of last year and did my first 5k in Mar. this year. Have done 4 5k's 1 5 miler and 1 10k. Getting ready to do another 10k sept. 10 and training for a half marathon I plan to do Nov. 5 if I can be ready. half marathon is 13.1 miles. Good luck on your 5k.

Thank you...I just found out it is Sept 24......I can do this!!! Even if its only a month away