Losing walking calories

Options
When I work out, and add the work out calories burned why do all my step calories burned disappear as though I didn’t walk at all?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you have a fitness counter synced then won't adding exercise as well be double counting?
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I don’t usually have my phone with my when I’m playing softball or volleyball so the steps aren’t counted in that exercise I manually log. So instead, I will manually log my steps walked as an exercise alongside it. I know I’m not double dipping and I am usually pretty hungry and want to eat those cals!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think my fitbit adjusts to make sure my overall calorie burn is more or less synonymous. That's why I make sure if I manually log yoga or weights, I enter the right time so my fitbit can adjust. I still tend to only eat back half the exercise calories in case I'm overestimating exercise burn or underestimating calories.
  • superflycat2
    superflycat2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My exercise is separate from my steps also. Just annoyed I loose credit for all my walking as soon as I switch my Apple Watch over to exercise. Do some arobics and it negates all those wonderful walking calories and just counts what I burned during the workout.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    When MFP had that bigger adjustment, it was not aware of the extra calories your walk caused, which was contained within the daily burn sent over by whatever tracker you are using.

When you told MFP you had a workout of say 200 calories - it rightly assumes the daily burn sent by the tracker already contains that.

So to prevent double counting for the math done with your eating goal - it has to remove it.

So if you lost most of your adjustment - it just means that besides that walk - you were indeed burning as many calories as MFP expected by your activity level setting.

Keep moving and being active though, you'll get more.

If a workout wipes you out and you sleep more (and logging on MFP for some reason), then you could even get negative adjustment (if that setting is enabled).

If you really enjoy math and really want to understand it - read the 2nd section here couple times. It's written for Fitbit, but the method is used for all trackers but Apple (which sends wrong figures)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy